Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Some very important windshield data
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Some very important windshield data
 Login now/Join our community

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted
I am in the process of doing my annual windshield search. I lady in Canada had some vandal break both of her windshields. Her local glass guy quoted $2,000 CAN per side. So far I have found prices ranging from $1722.20 each from Pellend, to $619.00 each from Duncan to $265.00 each from Coach Glass in Oregon. If anyone has heard of a better deal could you let us know??

By the way this is what does it say on your windshield, Mine says;

Solex Duplate
ASH 252.2.8
DOT 18 M405
DW731

This is a new note I am just adding to the about. This glass thing is realllly rediculous. I just called back Duncan and the price went from $600-$1200. I am confused...

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited August 01, 2003).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MY 1976 BARTH WINDSHILD NUMBERS
SOFT RAY
SAFTY FLOTE
AS-1 GUARDIAN J-76
LAMINATED
DOT 22 66 M8A
1654-2 PASSENGER SIDE
1653-2 DRIVERS SIDE

RALPH GLOVER

RALPH

[This message has been edited by REGLOVER (edited August 01, 2003).]

Posts: 167 | Location: LaFontaine, IN,USA | Member Since: 07-03-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/08
Picture of Eric Herrle
posted Hide Post
It's an insurance thing. I had both windshields of my 77 replaced before I sold it. It cost me $250.00 through my insurance co. via Duncan, but I have no idea what the real cost was.

Posts: 216 | Location: Kailua Kona, HI & E. Waterboro, ME | Member Since: 06-27-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My windshield is not broke but rather cloudy. The small amount of milkyness around the edges I can live with. It's move of a film from rain and more than likely the roof sealant that has given it this haze. I have tried every product on the market I could find to remove it. Even used a buffing wheel with rubbing compound on it with marginal results. Lucky for me the drivers side is not as bad I got most of that off. Has anyone else had this problem and any kind of a soultion? After seeing the pricing replacment at least for now is not an option. Somthing you all may want to be on the look out for is although the body is alumimn the frame area around the windshield is steel. Mine Has been rusting behind the small compartment above. Had I not been remodeling it I wouldn't found it in time to repair. Hate to think what it would cost to have that rebuilt. Oh by the way mine is a 1980 35ft.

Posts: 22 | Location: St Pete Fl US | Member Since: 06-20-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Hi Boot,

I indeed started geting a little leakage over the top of the windshield and it was caused by that metal flange rusting. I called a glass guy that works on RV's and he has this special tape in which the carrier is a neoprene stuff and a monster adhesive. He encapsulated the metal flange with that tape and then re attached the the windshield to the taped surface. He told me that this special tape provides a better surface than the original surface. Then only thing is that the black frame around the top of the windshield is maybe 1/4 inch wider but I don't think you would ever know unless you knew what to look for.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My windshield is cloudy around the edges. A fellow at the glass shop says that the glass is delaminating and the white is the plastic between the layers. I've also got some cracking going on and the white is starting to show there also. I called Coach Glass and they are looking for another windshield for me. So far, the price per side is some where around $900. My motor home is hardly worth $1800. I guess if the cops don't say anything to me about it I can live with it. Dennis

Posts: 207 | Location: Port Townsend ,Wash USA | Member Since: 11-21-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post