Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    hot water heater - how high is too high
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

hot water heater - how high is too high
 Login now/Join our community

<therealtigger>
posted
Well I finally got brave and decided to tackle the hot water heater that worked sometimes. I turned off the power and cleanerd all the electric connections with my electronic spray
cleaner. Then I undid the piece of alumn tubing that controls how much air gets in the
gas mix(?) (It slides back and forth on the alum tube) I had to do this so I could stick a wire in and look for spidys. Well anyway, I put it all back together and turned everything on.
Nothing happened so I figured: well I didn't fix it. However, about 20 minutes later while I was in the bedroom playing on the computer it cameon. I could hear it clearly from the bed. I went out and looked and yes it was burning. BUt then I got worried becuase it seemed loud and I wasn't sure how high it should be burning. So afte a bit I chickened out and turned it off again.
So the question is this:
How much flame should I be able to see with the door open. Bigger then a cigarette lighter? As big as a flame from a soldering
tank for copper fittings? This seemed bigger than that. Maybe as much as 1/5 a stove burner.
The color was blue with yellow center.
Do I adjust it with the air mix thing or actually turn down the gas.
I don't mind asfixiating myself but I draw the line at burning myself up.

Tigger

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
My dad moved from Iowa to Arizona during the depression. He said he didn't mind starving to death but he didn't want to freeze to death. The think does make some noise the flame it pretty big, reminds me of a small jet engine. and blue is good. If it were all yellow that would be bad, (I think) Make sure you have water in the tank for sure.. Start her up and keep it running even if you have to get your lawn chair and set my it for a while. After 20-40 minutes it should turn off.

------------------

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited February 18, 2005).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Dave calls it a jet engine - I think it sounds more like a big blow torch. The gas, generally, is not adjustable without special tools and knowledge.

You can play with the air. but try to keep your fingers out of the way of the incoming air flow. The flame should have very little yellow, and should begin right where the gas leaves the burner tube.

With too much air, the flame will show a gap between the end of the tube and the start of the flame, and will easily blow out. Too little air and a lot of yellow in the flame, and you'll have soot stains on the side of your rig.

It ain't rocket science, and with a little fiddling you can get it just right.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
"Do I adjust it with the air mix thing or actually turn down the gas.."
I wouldn't mess with it. As suggested, turn it on and just hang around until it goes out, which should be after water gets hot/less than 30 minutes. If it has been sitting a while, it may need several cycles to work properly. "Turning down the gas" may do more harm than good, if it works at all. PS: I admire your spirit.

------------------
"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<therealtigger>
posted
You may congratulate me. I got brave enough to turn it on and heat up the water long enough to take my first non microwave-assisted shower, and boy was it nice. Then I turned it back off till tomorrow evening.
Thanks for all the help people, I sure wouldn't have been gutsy emough to tackle all this without some advice from the 'peanut gallery'.
Tigger

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post