Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Portable Surge Protectors
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Portable Surge Protectors
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted Hide Post
A knot is a lot cheaper and does work .To me lighting is like red wires.
lenny

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tonka:
our cat’s absolutely terrified of electrical storms but for some reason still carries her tail pointed proudly straight up like a little furry lightning rod. I wonder if a figure eight knot would reduce her risk.
Tin Foil Hat Club
Wally

Don't do it.

Her tail is indeed a lightning rod..... However, the purpose of a lightning rod is not to attract lightning, but to aid in the equalization of static charges between the earth and the sky.

Lightning is Mother Nature's way of this charge being equalized, albeit violently. If the charges are equalized gradually, a little at a time, a lightning strike is less lightly.

So, your cat's tail is helping prevent a lightning strike.

Our airliners had what were called static wicks on extremities, such as wingtips, tail surface tips, etc. These were, in effect, miniature lightning rods. Some of them even had needle sharp tips, just like lightning rods. Points aid in the discharge (equalization) of electrical energy.

This not only diminished lightning strikes, but reduced radio static, particularly on older vacuum tube equipment. Even our gear doors and control surfaces had flexible wires connecting them to the structure. This allowed the smooth passage of static charges without them going through the hinge pins and bearings. This cut down on the pitting of those parts caused by the arcing that is inevitable with a less than perfect connection.

We still had lightning strikes, though. Lightning is just too powerful to control completely.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
An issue often overlooked is that of buried wire. Underground cable is subject to "induced current". Current is induced when a conductor is subject to a changing magnetic field. Conversely, a changing current (like a lightning strike) creates a rising, then collapsing, magnetic field. That induces current in nearby underground conductors (like metallic water pipes and conduit, as well as power cables).

This phenomenon first got attention due to issues at the [then] new Tampa International Airport terminal. One of the officers (a CWO4) in my repair unit was superintendent of electrical services at TIA. He reported that the "people movers" that shuttled passengers from the main terminal to the airsides were suffering burned out supply cables, but the breakers (400A, 440V 3ph) weren't tripping.

Induced current was determined to be the culprit. The solution (at great expense) was to install what amounted to huge GFCIs further upstream.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
An issue often overlooked is that of buried wire. Underground cable is subject to "induced current". Current is induced when a conductor is subject to a changing magnetic field. Conversely, a changing current (like a lightning strike) creates a rising, then collapsing, magnetic field. That induces current in nearby underground conductors (like metallic water pipes and conduit, as well as power cables).

This phenomenon first got attention due to issues at the [then] new Tampa International Airport terminal. One of the officers (a CWO4) in my repair unit was superintendent of electrical services at TIA. He reported that the "people movers" that shuttled passengers from the main terminal to the airsides were suffering burned out supply cables, but the breakers (400A, 440V 3ph) weren't tripping.

Yeah, the rise time of a lightning strike is way too fast for the breakers. Collapse time is probably even faster.

quote:
Induced current was determined to be the culprit. The solution (at great expense) was to install what amounted to huge GFCIs further upstream.

Were these buried or overhead? If buried, were the conduits metal or plastic? Is plastic conduit used in Florida?

My power lead-in cables from the pole transformer are going to be twisted and in metal conduit. I don't know about lightning, but twisting wires power or signal) always cuts the effect of stray EMF.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
TIA has some 27 miles of burried cable. Cables are buried in dedicated concrete runs (tunnels).

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted Hide Post
DO not Forget that the surge protector.also tells of LOW voltage HIGH voltage. it is not a lighting arrester.IT helps save your equipment in the motor home .
The one we have takes two minuets to turn on if you have a bad line or a brownout won,t work or tells you not to use that line. I thought that someone had a problem AT cherry hill in that case it might have helped .IT might have helped me when we had a strike I THINK IT DID dealer said it was burnt for a reason
lenny

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post