Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Tires
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Tires
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted
After hashing and thrashing around I,m ready to put some new booties on "THE TOY". There was pretty good info on the site as to brands, changing sizes,etc.but I think I'll stay with the 8R-19.5 Michelins. However, I was offered to have the tires inflated with Nitrogen instead of compressed air.The cost would be $7.80 per tire. If you believe the brochure it has its merits BUT in the real world has anyone used this inflation system? I would appreciate any input................carl

"THE TOY" 88 33' Regal SE Coach #3448

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Carl,

For a LONG and spirited debate on nitrogen-filled tires go to:

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=120996&page=1

They're only opinions, but probably just as reliable as the claims made by the nitrogen sellers out there......

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
We use nitorgen in our airplanes, but only because of lower expansion at high temperatures and longer carcass life. The only advantage for a MH owner is slightly lower air loss over time. You should check pressure every driving day anyway, so it is not a big deal. Mostly profit for dealers. Plus, how do you know your tire is full of nitrogen? Do they purge all the air out first? I doubt it, as it is hard to do. I carry CO2 for my 4WD tires, but would use nitrogen if I thought it was worth it.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I use 80% nitrogen, which I get free.

Air.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. Going into the shop next Wednesday for tires and alignment and other unknowns. NO NITOGEN............carl

"THE TOY" 88 33' Regal SE Coach #3448

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill Stevson
posted Hide Post
Couldn't one use helium in the tires to make the rig a little lighter to increase mpg's?

Bill & Diane
1973 25'

Posts: 113 | Location: Macks Creek, MO | Member Since: 11-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Stevson:
Couldn't one use helium in the tires to make the rig a little lighter to increase mpg's?

Your looking at this all wrong... That would have a negative effect after you pumped up the psi. The tire will be heavier based upon the amount of added psi of the helium. How much heavier is dependent on the psi rating of the tires. Wink Big Grin Roll Eyes

Bill

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Helium in the tires will help you climb hills, but you will consume more fuel going downhill.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
Helium in the tires will help you climb hills, but you will consume more fuel going downhill.

I've noticed in my childrens balloons that the helium escapes in a few hours from any rubber balloon.

Wouldn't you need to make the tires out of the real shiny reflective stuff Bill H?

Bill

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Well, back to the drawing board.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Hydrogen. Hydrogen is the answer...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Oh................the humanity!

posted Hide Post
OR - The one thing that is lighter than hydrogen - NOTHING. Fill them with a vacuum, of course you would have to pump them up real firm.

Posts: 25 | Location: Grand Prairie TX USA | Member Since: 03-18-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill Stevson
posted Hide Post
Never mind.

Bill & Diane
1973 25'

Posts: 113 | Location: Macks Creek, MO | Member Since: 11-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post