Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Trim Strips
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Trim Strips
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Now that we have "Gypsy Rose Barth" all stripped down to bare alloy, there are two aluminium trim strips down the sides, one that the mirrors are mounted on, and the lower one that the bottom awning mount is screwed to. Gypsy is a 1987 34T Regal(looks just like a 33' Regal to me). In each trim strip is a plastic (pvc?) strip that we want to replace. Does anyone know what it's called and where to get it?
Thanks, John

Posts: 114 | Location: Skamania, WA, USA | Member Since: 07-21-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
Most RV stores have this material in a roll form.
Take a sample with you, to make sure you get the right size

If this is the right size, maybe it’s the look you have been looking for.
Trim insert strips
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/products/index.cfm?d...&prodID=1616&src=TSC

Could you post some pictures of your work here for us to see?

Presently camping on the Natchez Trace.

------------------
On the road.

89 Barth Regal 32
Runs like a Deere
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Jack hit it on the nose. Some of the Barth strips were colored. I talked with Bob Barth Jr. once and asked where they got the colored strips and he told me that they painted them.

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
John, I think the Camping World stuff in rolls is the flexible stuff they use on stick & staple RVs. If yours is like mine, the strips are quite rigid, and might need to be slipped in from the end.

I need to relace some on mine as well. It appears to have shrunk over time because I have several small gaps that total about 4' in length.

I saw some similar material at a local RV supply house, so I'm going to pull off the shortest piece on mine, and take it out to compare with what they have on the shelf, and what's in their catalog.

You might try doing the same down there. There should be some decent-sized RV supply place in Vancouver, or certainly in Portland.

I'm not quite ready for this item yet. I've completed 23 items on a 42 item to-do list, and this one is at least a week in the future
Roy

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olroy:
John, I think the Camping World stuff in rolls is the flexible stuff they use on stick & staple RVs. If yours is like mine, the strips are quite rigid, and might need to be slipped in from the end.

I need to relace some on mine as well. It appears to have shrunk over time because I have several small gaps that total about 4' in length.

I saw some similar material at a local RV supply house, so I'm going to pull off the shortest piece on mine, and take it out to compare with what they have on the shelf, and what's in their catalog.

You might try doing the same down there. There should be some decent-sized RV supply place in Vancouver, or certainly in Portland.

I'm not quite ready for this item yet. I've completed 23 items on a 42 item to-do list, and this one is at least a week in the future
Roy

Posts: 114 | Location: Skamania, WA, USA | Member Since: 07-21-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Roy,
Mine is like yours, rigid and shrunk, plus the old paint REALLY stuck to it. I popped it out real easy with the point on one of those scrapers that painters use and it was pretty easy to put back by just pressing it in with my thumb. My jobs left are a tranny cooler (is a Perma Cool from Summit good?) and I think we'll spring for a Gear Vendors OD, I could use that 2nd over on the hills around here and in the Rockies this summer. We've scheduled for double pane windows from Peninsula Glass too, 'more than we wanted to spend, but living where there is up to 100" of rain in the winter, we don't want that condensation problem we had last year.
Cheers, John

The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Hi John,
Can't tell you about the Summit tranny cooler, though I've bought stuff from them in the past and never had a problem. I don't know how much difference there is in the effectiveness of different styles of coolers. The most important factor is probably the weight rating. If 'twere me, I'd opt for the next size above the g.c.w. I figure on having with the rig plus the toad. Bill H might have some greater words of wisdom on this subject.

I'm daydreaming about Gear Vendors too, though the bank account still hasn't recovered from the hit I got from WA sales tax when I licensed the rig last April. I'm still in the nickel and dime phase (more like 10 bucks, 100 bucks phase). When that's done, we'll see.

I finished three more items on my to-do list yesterday, and the list increased by one.

How about posting some pix of your newly-naked Barth? I bet lots of us would like to see one in pristine, shining glory.
Roy

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Roy,
I'd like to post pix, but no digital camera plus my computer is dying and the scanner isn't working, so none that way either. Maybe I can take a polaroid over to my son's sometime soon and he can email me a jpeg of it. Let's just say it stands out in a parking lot as big, ugly, silver and..... well, mostly ugly. Up close, it's a lot better because of the quality of the construction. At least when we're in it, we don't have to look at it! I have probably, a solid week of buffing ahead of me sometime, Then, we'll have to figure out a color scheme to put on the fiberglass cowl, that the windshield sets into. I think we're leaning towards a light/medium blue swoosh, reminicent to a 40-50's Greyhound. Maybe with art deco sweeps of blue like fenders on the front....Taste, what taste?
Cheers, John

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John & Irene:
. ..............My jobs left are a tranny cooler (is a Perma Cool from Summit good?)........... Cheers, John

John, to avoid the dreaded thread drift, I will respond in Dave's topic on coolers.

[This message has been edited by bill h (edited July 08, 2004).]

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post