Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    gvw: my Barth needs to join Jenny Craig
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

gvw: my Barth needs to join Jenny Craig
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted
Just had the Barth weighed. My tag says the GVW is 20000. I weighed the coach with full fuel, propane and water tanks. I also had the dog and my grand daughter in there. The front axel totalled 6520. The rear was 13460. If I did the math correctly I can add another 20 pounds of food and I'll be at the max weight. Note: This weight also includes chairs and stuff I normally carry, like my screen porch. Do I have to leave my wife home when I drive cross country?

Rick

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of madrone
posted Hide Post
You say water "tanks" full? Wouldn't it be more normal to start a trip with black and gray tanks empty and fresh water full in order to have the capacity to carry the wife?

Steve
Barth Wannabee

Posts: 69 | Location: Texas | Member Since: 11-26-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Hey Steve,

The fresh water tank is full; the others are empty. Sorry for the confusion.

Rick

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
I don't really know anything about this but that has never stopped me from speaking out before so I will not view my lack of knowledge as an obstacle now.

When I chatted with the guys in California at the Highway Patrol truck scales they told me that a vehicle under 26,000 is not considered a truck by California. So here in the people’s democratic-republic ( Love using those words together, as the first invalidates the second but I digress) we can drive over the 55 limit for trucks and are not required to stop at the scales.

Now I wonder if there is something magic about 20000 pounds. Maybe this is the number the chassis builder used to sake past some laws.

So in my view:
1) If the coach drives well.
a. Does not sway
b. Tracks when the wind blows
c. And last and most importantly, stops.
2) If you can get in and out of your driveway loaded.

Then by all means take your wife with you and have a great time. The days of leaving our wives home are long over. If you run into any of my buddies from the hills of Pakistan tell them I have some bad news, they are fighting a losing battle.

I would take a bit to learn about the breaks on your chassis, on my p30 chassis a little work was in order.

Happy trails.

Tim and Lana

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
I'm actually kidding about not taking my wife. I do want to drive and arrive safely though. I did have the coach completely checked over including the brakes which are fine after the rear brake job.

Rick

She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
Oh yes, the wife comment was fun; I read it as a bit of happy humor.

Please know I don't really have any "buddies" in the hills of Pakistan. That was a bit of humor as well, sorry if it fell flat. But I do send Greg Mortenson a few bucks now and again.

I am glad to hear you had the breaks inspected. On my P30 chassis I tested things out on a long 7% grade and did find the breaks more than a bit warm when we reached the bottom. Some people have suggested break fluid that holds up at high tempature and if you search for breaks on this site there are lots of good ideas.

All the best

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Please, please, please, gear down & slow down on those long grades, & take it easy on the brakes. Most motor homes of whatever breed are loaded to the point where brakes are marginal.

I came down a mountain years ago with a half-ton Chev towing a 31' trailer. I was using the trailer brakes manually to slow down when things got too fast. The brakes faded just as we hit a long straight stretch at the bottom. if that hill had two more curves than it did, we'd have been in the deep do-do.

My usual downhill technique in the MH was gear down & start slow at the top. Let the speed build, then slow down hard, get off the brakes, so they could cool while the speed built up again. Never suffered fade, never smelled brakes burning that way. Took a little longer to get home that way, but we always made it.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
There are a couple of things you can do for the drive train; I "overload" my rear axle 300-500 lbs. over GVW (although the front axle is 600 under).

First, I discovered my rear springs appear to be about the same as the 30' - at least there are the same number of leaves.

Secondly, I replaced the differential cover with one from Mag-Hytec, which being cast aluminum, offers better heat dissipation and 2 qts. more capacity - and I increased the level by the recommended 1/2" to ensure the rear bearings stay happy.

And of course, I inflate the tires to the recommended for the load.

I installed an external high-capacity oil cooler, with a fan.

Olroy is absolutely on-target about mountain gearing down (I found I can run a 5-mile 7% downgrade in 2nd, and maybe use the service brakes once) and braking (especially with drum brakes); my Breakaway has vented disks all around, but I still use that technique.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olroy:

My usual downhill technique in the MH was gear down & start slow at the top. Let the speed build, then slow down hard, get off the brakes, so they could cool while the speed built up again. Never suffered fade, never smelled brakes burning that way.

That's how I do it, too. I have, however, smelled hot brakes, but that was on a road I will never do again.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
Rick
To be clear. We are talking about a 33' Breakaway powered by the 5.9 Cummins on a Spartan leafspring chassis with 22.5" wheels. Correct?
Would going to larger tires, the largest possible on your wheels, and increased pressure give you more carrying capacity?
What kind of brakes are on your chassis? Hydralic? Same as a 30' Breakaway just with bigger disc or drum?
Don

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
I have disk brakes on all four wheels. I also have a pac brake which I use frequently. I've never smelled the brakes on this coach but on my first coach, the brakes used to heat up a lot. I'm really surprised that my Breakaway is so close to GVW. I figured Barth would have planned things so I had some storage capacity. I am planning to lighten things up and have the coach reweighed before I leave. Thanks,

Rick

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
If you have 22.5 tires you are OK with that weight, if you have 19.5 you are not! The rear would be at or slightly over the limit of 19.5 duals.

Some 30' Breakaways had the Dana 80 rear axle which is rated lower then the Eaton 15040 rear that I have. I think all Breakaways that were longer then 30' had the heavier rear end and used 22.5 tires.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I've alway been told that GVWR was an important number. Axles, bearings, chassis, brakes, all are designed to take so much weight. If you exceed their design limitations, you are gambling that there is an adequate safety margin built into things. I prefer to shift things around to not overload either axle. I'm pretty sure 1%/2% wouldn't hurt but I just don't do it. What Rusty has done certainly helps on overheating. And the driving techniques others have mentioned are spot on. You've identified one of the problems with many motor homes, including some Barths. By the time you put water, fuel and people in them, they are close to the GVWR and don't have much leeway for all your "stuff".

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Perhaps one way to solve the overload problem is to carry a trailer which could house your heavy gear. The trailer's axle's now take the extra load. You add a slight bit of tongue weight, but it is almost insignificant. Should you really have an issue, put a water tank in the trailer and transfer it only when at destination.

Another advantage with trailering is the trailer brakes, if electric, can help stabilize a rig if operated properly. Although not for the uninitiated, manually activating the electric trailer brakes on a steep downhill grade has helped me maintain a proper speed without overusing the coach brakes. BTW, this is usually done in conjunction with the coach brakes. I think of my trailer as almost a Sea Anchor at times.
Corey

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Luckily the Gillig chassis on our coach is rated with a very comfortable margin for extra weight. I recently weighed our coach full of fuel, full of propane, full of fresh water, most of the things we keep in the coach (there was no food in the cabinets) and the black and gray tanks empty. Me in the coach. The coach also seems to be balanced very well. I don't know what the ideal front and rear weights should be for handling but if tire load is considered there is almost equal weight on all six tires. We have almost 4,000 pound additional capacity. The only additional factors would be Donna's and Hank's weight. I was assured that was not a problem and to not even go there.

-------------------GVWR-----------Actual Weight----Difference
Front Axle---------10,410----------8,580------------1,830
Rear Axle----------19,230---------17,080------------2,150

Total--------------29,640---------25,660------------3,980

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post