Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Monarch Turbo Lube Line and part numbers
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Monarch Turbo Lube Line and part numbers
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted
This is a cautionary tale.

Mwrench was at the house in June and we took a look at Midnight. Things looked not bad for a 26 year old coach. Ed did see one thing that needed attention. The oil line that goes to and lubricates the turbo. Looked as shown. Of course I didn’t take a picture before I started spraying it down with Kroil. It was not leaking at the time. Once Ed pointed it out I definitely saw the need. Took a while to get parts.

Part numbers-Line number. 3921530 is a stainless steel braided with steel bent flared ends
Fitting that goes to Turbo and block. One on each end - 3919687

Both of these numbers are Cummins OEM. At the time I got the only line in the US. I ordered one fitting off eBay after I got the other one and had that number to cross reference. The knock off came with a copper crush washer. The OEM Cummins did not.

I could not get the line to separate from the fitting. Pinched off the lines and cut so I could turn. Once off I put the fitting in vice and with a cheater pipe I was able to separate. Found they had used the copper crush washer in original install.

Now to find the crush washer. My truck shop had none. None anywhere close. Try and find that online proved difficult at best. I just ordered the generic fitting that came with the crush washer. Same price as single washer and not sure the single washer right.

Red Face bottom line don’t wait. When I went to fix. I found it had started leaking. I grabbed on it and it came apart with out force. hmm confusion D'oh nono Wow did I luck out. Oil loss and TURBO MELTDOWN! Possible

I took for granted it lasted this long why wouldn’t it last a trip to and from Northern Minnesnowta.

I left before I had parts. I just came back. I figured it would be better to fix at home. And it was I needed things I don’t carry in Coach.

Got long winded Sorry Sorry

If you have a Barth RSV Monarch you probably would/could have a problem that could be avoided. Check it out. I hope mine was unique and all others are fine.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
72081169MC22C
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1385 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Dana, thanks for the reminder! We had discussed this earlier and I finally looked at my line. Not as bad as yours but not good. Outer braid is still intact but both steel ends are quite rusty.

I found a supplier on Ebay who has the hose, both end fittings and copper washers. Ordered them and will replace soon. At least I will have the parts ready.

Last fall when I replaced the air dryer in my coach, I noticed the primary braided air line from compressor to dryer had been kinked. I want to replace that one soon too. Something to check....

BTW, if the copper washers are not too beat up you can reuse them if you anneal/soften before reuse. Heat them red hot with a torch and let them air cool slowly. Aviation spark plugs use the copper washers and they want $ for new ones, so we just cooked 'em and reused...

Thanks again for this thread! Thumbs Up

Have Barth, will travel south, soon Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5189 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Those washers are beveled and jammed into the recess in the fitting. I tried to extricate them but no way without wrecking them.

I knew it was on your radar because we talk often. It was all the other Monarchs out there. Another one showed up the other day.

Dana & Lynn
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
72081169MC22C
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1385 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dana:
Those washers are beveled and jammed into the recess in the fitting. I tried to extricate them but no way without wrecking them.

Yeah, I thought they might get crushed....

QUOTE: It was all the other Monarchs out there. Another one showed up the other day.

I saw that 36ft mentioned. I was up at Dad's and didn't comment. I hope they get the air up and back on the road.

It would be nice to know how many and where the Monarchs are. We know of one or two scrapped but since MM numbers only go to about 0046 and some were Regals, Breakaways, and Regencies there can't be many. hmm

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5189 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
Crush washers? Perhaps Grainger or other industrial suppliers have them. For a while, toothed electrical washers could only be found there, during the supply chain problem Era.

Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 528 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
quote:
air

The top fitting is easy to see but that lower one is not easy to see. Not a wonder I never saw it but Ed did. Gets harder to contort to see or even see and spray with penetrating oil

Dana & Lynn
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
72081169MC22C
Christened Camp Barth

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna start sprayin'. Should have the new one in 4-5 days. Mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp