Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Just installed AirLift 1000 front airbags
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Just installed AirLift 1000 front airbags
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted
I just installed a set of AirLIft 1000 front airbags/airsprings in my P32 chassis....boy these were a bear to get in to say the least.

But here's some hints. Look at the installation videos. It's not as easy as the videos make it appear, but folding the airbags does help. Also, I put mine in the oven at the lowest temperature (170 degrees) and preheated them. This made them more pliable and easier to fold. Then I also used a Seal-A-Meal as a vacuum pump to pull out as much of the air, folded them and tied them and let them set overnite to hold the shape. Next day, I put them in the oven again for an hour and they went in fairly easy.

K&E

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vdubnut
posted Hide Post
I had to install a few of those while working at a Les Schwab Tire Center. I found they worked best when you twist the bag instead of folding it. but yes, a pain in the butt for sure! Nice work.

Are you putting the 5000's in the rear too?

-Mike

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
1973 25 Foot
P30 Chevy with 454
73021247MC25
Follow My blog
http://73Barth.blogspot.com

Posts: 39 | Location: Bellevue, WA | Member Since: 01-14-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
It is always a good idea to smooth the edges of the hole. Some really need it. I like a ball stone on a Dremel or a die grinder. The ball reached up inside and rounds off the inner edge as well as the less tricky outer edge. It eases entry and prevents a scratch which can grow to a failure later.

Ru Glide helps, too.

Armorall makes vinyl slippery, but I don't know what it does to vinyl long-term. It might leach out the plasticizers.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I had to look up what the "5000's" were....Mine is a tag axle. Do you think it would have any helpful affect? I was thinking it might help if my leafs were flattened due to age but I'd be better off replacing them if so, wouldn't I?

I'm going to spend some time driving and see how everything works together...haven't driven with the tag axle bags working right or the front air bags functional....without the front airbags, it seemed a little bouncy...

Bill, also, I didn't think to smooth out the lower contact area...it didn't hit me that it seemed rough...but these came with a HUGE washer/donut probably 3/8 inch thick that sits on the housing (also one on top) so the bag doesn't contact the lower part of the coil spring area...

I have new springs for the jacks that should be in WEdnesday and after installing them, I'm going to go out and try it...

Anxious to start traveling!

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm not too sensitive to how my coach handles. I replaced the bags about 5 or 6 years ago when I realized the passenger side wouldn't hold air. I think they were about 70 bucks and I KNOW they were a bear to install, but we got them in and pumped up and things were good. This year I realized the passenger side again wouldn't hold air, but I didn't have time to replace it before Dega, so I bled out the driver side and we headed down the road. If there is a difference in handling I don't know what it is, the feel for the road and the tracking etc. are identical to when the bags were pumped. I ran about 50 lb. because that was what the book said. Now I run zero, and can tell no difference, so I'm not going to rush out and blow another 70 bucks and a bunch of time and aggravation squeezing them in.
I can hear the gasps and Oh My's already, but I've driven everything there is to drive at one time or other and the Euro is definately one of the most comfortable, stable, and easiest handling vehicle for it's size and shape there is, so I'm not throwing more money at this particular segment of her.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
in the oven at the lowest temperature (170 degrees) and preheated them.

Heat (in moderation) always helps to make the bags more pliable....After four installs, I've had good luck by using two geared hose clamps and a cordless drill chucked w/ a nutdriver. Fold as much as possible along the longitudinal axis and clamp them a couple inches down from the top end. As you progress with the insertion, loosen, slide & retighten the clamps...should get about 2" travel thru the hole with each cycle.....

For removal, a Saws-All with a long pruning blade, Vice-Grips & Channel-Locks makes short work of it......

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vdubnut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K&E:
Mike,

I had to look up what the "5000's" were....Mine is a tag axle. Do you think it would have any helpful affect? I was thinking it might help if my leafs were flattened due to age but I'd be better off replacing them if so, wouldn't I?

I'm going to spend some time driving and see how everything works together...haven't driven with the tag axle bags working right or the front air bags functional....without the front airbags, it seemed a little bouncy...

I wouldn't worry about it with the tag axle, sorry I didn't realize that part. I was looking into these for a bit more ground clearance when needed (like getting in and out of my driveway for instance) a couple inches of lift for that purpose would be great in my position. I don't think I am going to mess with the 1000's. (I don't have ANY air suspension on my 1973, just springs and gas charged shocks.

quote:
Originally posted by Danny Z:
I guess I'm not too sensitive to how my coach handles. I replaced the bags about 5 or 6 years ago when I realized the passenger side wouldn't hold air. I think they were about 70 bucks and I KNOW they were a bear to install, but we got them in and pumped up and things were good. This year I realized the passenger side again wouldn't hold air, but I didn't have time to replace it before Dega, so I bled out the driver side and we headed down the road. If there is a difference in handling I don't know what it is, the feel for the road and the tracking etc. are identical to when the bags were pumped. I ran about 50 lb. because that was what the book said. Now I run zero, and can tell no difference, so I'm not going to rush out and blow another 70 bucks and a bunch of time and aggravation squeezing them in.
I can hear the gasps and Oh My's already, but I've driven everything there is to drive at one time or other and the Euro is definately one of the most comfortable, stable, and easiest handling vehicle for it's size and shape there is, so I'm not throwing more money at this particular segment of her.

Normally these are helper springs Danny to level out your coach, almost like a initial bump stop of sorts. The "bouncy" would be removed by heavier duty shocks, as those control the rebound. Springs do nothing but control your ride height, if they sag you can add some help to level it out, or provide additional lift in the rear for towing and such.

Sway can come in with stiffer springs or an anti-sway bar that limits independent compression. You effectively start to use both springs to try to eliminate sway. Positive pressure on one side and negative on the other.

So deflating your working bag is a good idea, but if you don't need the leveling or additional clearance it may not be required.

-Mike

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
1973 25 Foot
P30 Chevy with 454
73021247MC25
Follow My blog
http://73Barth.blogspot.com

Posts: 39 | Location: Bellevue, WA | Member Since: 01-14-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I use both Hellwig adjustable helper springs and Air Lift bags on my drive axle. My hitch load varies, what with ski boat, motorcycle, etc back there, so I crank the springs to ride level with a low gas tank and empty tanks. Any increase in any of those loads is taken up by drive and tag bag pressure adjustments.

The adjustable leaf helpers give me a "limp home" mode should any of the air bags fail.

Also, having a low pressure in the tag bags allows me to deflate them for off-road driving without losing too much ground clearance.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post