Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    New owners with small problems
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

New owners with small problems
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hi to all,
Ron and Maggie here. We just bought a 1990 Barth Regal (44K miles)at Lazy Days on 11 Sep 06. What a great rig. It was garage kept and is pristine both inside and out. It has six (6)new Michelin 19.5's, a new,(<5000 miles), Jasper re-build 460, new brakes [pads, hoses, etc.), new shocks [front and rear)and the list goes on and on. Needless to say we're happy with our BARTH. We knew there would be a few things we'd have to work on. Maybe someone could help us with:

1. Wiper blades. Can't find the 20" wide.

2. Cabinet door gas struts. Need six (6) Where to find them without changing brackets.

3. Can't get the air horns to work. Lazy Days Mechanic said to replace a switch under and just to the rear of the front bumber??

4. There seems to be a pump or some kind of fan motor that constantly runs in the rear of the coach (underneath). What is that??

We don't have 50amp service here at the house but we do have 30amp service that we used for our 30' Travel Lodge pull trailer before we sold it. Will that work, as we only have one roof A/C unit? Thank you all in advance and we sure are happy to be a part of the Barth family. OH, we use to own a 32' Georgie Boy Pursuit before the Travel Lodge and the Barth beats the pants off the Georgie Boy in both construction and quality. Thanks again.

wiper blades, linkages and motors

Ron and Maggie

Proud owners of a 1990 28' Barth Regal towing a 2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Posts: 28 | Location: Slidell, Louisiana & Compass Lake, Florida | Member Since: 09-18-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the club Ron and Maggie. Congratulations on your purchase. How did you find us? Before or after the purchase?

The wiper blades can be had at any CarQuest, Pep Boys or Napa, tell them Trico "64-201". I'm pretty sure that's the number. Just take the old one off and walk into the parts house with it and compare it to that one first.

The pump could be the water pump or even a rear fan motor for heat. Is it coming from the fridge area? Track it down before you kill the batteries. It could be the fan motor for the battery charger/maintainer, if it's that then don't sweat it.

They make a 50 to 30 amp adapter. You can find this at most campgrounds and camper supply stores.They sell them on Ebay all the time. With only one ac unit, 50 amp service is overkill.

I don't have gas shocks on my cabinets. The original ones on mine came with a spring loaded hinge.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Welcome to Barthmobile! I wonder who owned the Regal before you...I thought maybe Dave Vanderwall, but his was (I think) a '95.

2. Just about any RV shop will have them; like Bill N Y, mine has spring-loaded hinges, but I had to replace several "gas" struts in my SOB. Those were spring-loaded struts, not gas.

3. I found in my Breakaway the pressure lines from the compressor had split - both at the compresor and in the accumulator. If you get no noise from a compressor with the ignition on, engine off, that could be the problem - bad compressor, no juice, or a bad pressure switch.

4. The noise may be from the air compressor for the horns. Some models have it in the rear. If it never shuts off, that would indicate there's a leak, and why the air horns don't work.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
Welcome Folks:.. Click on the "FIND" blue box at top of page ..type in Cabinet Shocks and you will get a ton of information. If this doesn't help give a holler and we'll try some more. Goggle up..Hadley Air Horns and read the maintenence page,you may need to clean the solenoid. Good luck,let us know how you make out.......

"THE TOY 88 33' Regal SE Coach #3448

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
The motor running in the rear sounds suspiciously like a water pump. Go to your switch panel above the door & flick the water pump switch on & off a few times. If the noise stops when off, that's it.

A defective autofill valve will make the water pump run continuously, pumping the water out of the tank & right back in. Cycling the autofill switch will sometimes close the valve, but often not.

There are lots of prior posts on the subject of autofill valves. Go to the top of the page, click on "find" & type in "autofill," & you'll learn more than you want to know.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ron & Maggie:
There seems to be a pump or some kind of fan motor that constantly runs in the rear of the coach (underneath). What is that??

Does it run with the ignition? If so, it is likely an electric fuel pump. If not, start pulling fuses until it stops. The fuses should be marked to tell you what it is.

quote:
We don't have 50amp service here at the house but we do have 30amp service that we used for our 30' Travel Lodge pull trailer before we sold it. Will that work, as we only have one roof A/C unit?

Yup. Just use an adapter.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
As far as the fan motor is concerned if this is just when it is plugged in you are hearing the fan motor on the converter. Trust me you will get used to it. If it really bothers you, you can get a new digital type which will not have a fan.

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi folks,

Thank you so much for all your replys. I'm going to go to carquest and NAPN today for the wiper blades but I haven't had a chance to check google today for the others. As you know Louisiana got Katrina pretty bad and our house is in Slidell, LA 12 miles NW of where the eye passed over. We're in the process of rebuilding now. We live walking distance to Lake Ponchartrain and were the proud recipients of the 18' surge off the lake. We had 4' of water that only stayed for a little more than an hour but it left 8" of bayou mud on the ground floor. We were lucky because we have a two story house and only lost the bottom floor. We're doing all the rebuilding ourselves unlike alot of our neighbors who used and are using contractors. Thank GOD the Barth is in fantastic shape. Yesterday we sat in it and relaxed with a cool one. What a treat. Well thanks again to all for your help and we look forward to seeing you all. We're going to take some digital photos of the reg and post them.

Ron and Maggie

Posts: 28 | Location: Slidell, Louisiana & Compass Lake, Florida | Member Since: 09-18-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bowers:
As far as the fan motor is concerned if this is just when it is plugged in you are hearing the fan motor on the converter. Trust me you will get used to it. If it really bothers you, you can get a new digital type which will not have a fan.

SO, we gotta find out when the noise is heard....all the time, ignition on, or plugged in only. The fact that it is heard underneath makes me wonder, though. Most of the stuff mentioned is inside the coach. Sound travels in mysterious ways, though. Stay tuned.

As for converter/chargers, some of the new ones do indeed have fans. My Iota DLS75-IQ, for example, has one that runs or not at variable speed, depending on how hot it gets. Never heard it, though.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Welcome, I had no answers to any of your questions, but the answers from my fellow Barthmobile members make me proud. Stick around, and you'll find out what I mean.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Zeeff:
...the answers from my fellow Barthmobile members make me proud. Stick around, and you'll find out what I mean.
Stay tooned to this Bat station? Big Grin

Or, are you going to post how proud and what you mean on another forum topic?

Bill N.Y.

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/16
Picture of coaster48
posted Hide Post
Welcome to this site Ron and Maggie! I was surprised in the comments that the responders failed to pick up on the word "RIG" as this is a taboo on Barthmobile.com...LOL...eh!(Canada)...Dave,Olroy,Bills,Rusty,etc.
Sorry,couldn't resist

1995 Regal 31 Ft.
Ford F 53 Chassis
460 EFI

Posts: 93 | Location: Sechelt,B.C. Canada | Member Since: 03-17-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi coaster 48,

Thanks for the insight. We're used to the terminology from the Workamper side of the world. Here's hoping that our new found family teaches us new and better ways to.....??? We did pick up on the EH! as Maggie was born in Montreal, PQ. but SHE"S NOT FRENCH! LOL! Sorry for the shouting but she's English and a dual citizen as her father was a Lt. Col. in the United States Air Force and died on active duty. We're looking forward to seeing all of the Barthmobilers sometime in the future. Thanks again for everyones help and advice. OH, the motor or fan running is when the key is turned on and even after the engine is running. It sounds like a small motor fan blade hitting a grillwork. It's loudest under the coach,in the rear, just to the inside of the driver side rear dual tires. It must be one of those "Things That Go Bump In The Night". Next I have to work on the ceiling fans. Just minor stuff (the rubber gasket seals around the crank-down lids). AHHHHH! Maggie is calling. It must be dinner time. So, until next time. Chow.

Ron

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
For those roof vents, consider Max Air covers. They go right over the top of the crank up vents and allow for opening the vents without rain getting in. About 20 bucks per.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Danny,

I've got the max air covers on both of the power vents now and all I have to do now is replace the rubber gasket around the crank up cover. Would camping world have the gaskets?

Ron