Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Generator non-start issue
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Generator non-start issue
 Login now/Join our community

"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted
The generator is an Onan Emerald I, 4.0 BGE (Gas). It will not start. There is a sound as though the relay is trying to engage. I’m guessing an ignition problem other than the relay. Any thoughts/ ideas? Or does anyone have a trouble shooting guide?

Coach batteries are charged.

Posts: 175 | Location: Edgewood, KY, USA | Member Since: 08-26-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Things that have caused my Kholer not to start:

Rear fuel tank below 1/4.
Low oil level in genset.
Loose or rusty ground.
Genset muffler loose at manifold.
10amp fuse in the genset switchbox.
Forgot to open my fuel valve.

Posts: 130 | Location: Hattiesburg, MS, USA | Member Since: 08-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Does it just click when you try to start it, or does the starter operate? If it just clicks, the starter is not engaging, so it's in the starting circuit, not the ignition circuit.

That suggests 3 possibilities, 1) low battery voltage, 2) high resistance somewhere in the starter circuit, or 3) a faulty solenoid or starter.

If it spins but won't start, it's lack of spark, lack of fuel, or engine wear.

It could be something entirely different, but these are the most likely culprits, and the things to check first..

[This message has been edited by olroy (edited April 16, 2005).]

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback. I am thinking the same thing that it is in the starting circuit. Voltage seems OK before it gets to the generator. I hear a click that almost sounds like a timer circuit. Voltage appears lower than I expected after the relay. (I’ll have to measure the output again later this week.) I tried the part swap method to check the relay. Same result with a new relay. So, I’m assuming that the starting relay appears to be fine. The relay was my first assumed bad component, based upon the sound. I’m not sure how the circuit board factors into the starting circuit. Any experience with that?

The fuse in the circuit board is fine, at least it checks out for continuity with the vom.

Posts: 175 | Location: Edgewood, KY, USA | Member Since: 08-26-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post