Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    recharge the a.c. again?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

recharge the a.c. again?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
Picture of Kris & Tina Jones
posted
Had the a.c. recharged last summer and it worked great untill fall time when the cable froze up and it was stuck on hot. I fixed the cable and the potentiometer that controlls the speed of air flow but I now realise the a.c. is running really warm. I can heve the thing fixed, (recharged), by a buddy that owes me a favor or two but is this a problem that anyone suspects will reoccur every year? I hear all of these horror stories of how they never work or always break (which sounds like what has happened to me for the first year). Someone on the page recommended a "max air" system or something like that. Is this something you guys have tried and like? Any thoughts?

Posts: 486 | Location: Detroit, Michigan | Member Since: 02-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
Kris, thisblog might help you out. Ray and Anne
Rv A/C Help

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Roof air or dash air? Sounds like dash air; have it evacuated, recharged with oil and dye, run it and check for leaks.

I had the cable problem, but also in another incident mice cut the wire to the AC clutch.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dash air is correct Rusty. I am sure they pressure checked the system (or would like to believe they did), when it was refilled so I am hoping there is some other minor problem. Thanks for the lead Sky.

Posts: 486 | Location: Detroit, Michigan | Member Since: 02-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The "pressure test" the technician does is rudimentary, and to quick to test for slow leaks. It's actually a vacuum test, where the system is evacuated prior to recharging. The vacuum is observed to hold, but that's only at 14 psi. Operating, the compressor suction pressure is ~30 psi and discharge is ~175-250 psi.

The dye is the best way to localize a leak; the leak has to be pretty bad for a sniffer to detect it. The first suspect is the compressor (seals), then the expansion valve, then the lines.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will do....How do you know all this stuff?

1st month member
posted Hide Post
I used to be an refrigeration tech and some of the sniffers are very good(very expensive), IMHO a lot better than any dye test. They can detect leaks in the PPM range that might take dye days to show up.

1999 Airstream Safari 25'
2007 Toyota Tundra
1987 Yamaha YSR toads

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I agree with Ed that some sniffers are very sensitive; however, my observations about A/C repair shops is that those in the North are far less inclined to spend the money when dye is cheaper and effective.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke