Barthmobile Portal
Remove chassis airconditioning?

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3631087061/m/2381049061

09-11-2005, 11:13 PM
Rusty
Remove chassis airconditioning?
Sometimes it's easier than it looks - if there's clearance, just going to a shorter belt will work. It would be very rare for the A/C to have the belt tensioning adjustment on the A/C compressor.
09-13-2005, 01:42 PM
REGLOVER
Rusty on my 1976 Barth the A/C unit is used for the belt tension for the A/C, water pump, power steering, fly wheel. There is an adjustment on the power steering pump which has two belts, but its used for the power steering fly wheel tension.

Thanks Guys I may try with only one belt for the power steering unit.

Ralph
09-14-2005, 03:32 AM
Rusty
Well, it's unusual for the A/C compressor its ownself to be adjustable, much less for belt tension on a multiple-pulley belt.

But then, don't listen to me - on my somewhat standard Class C, the shop went through 13 A/C compressors before finding the correct one - heretofore, due to the lack of offset of the pulley, the A/C belt rubbed on the P/S pulley. The original was replaced 3/05, and I got about 6K miles out of the replacement before the belt wore and rolled, making the chassis A/C useless. And I never noticed it after the orginal replacement, yet I always usually check work on any of my vehicles...DUH!