Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Remove chassis airconditioning?
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Remove chassis airconditioning?
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I have had constant problems keeping my chassis airconditioning functioning and recently have been traveling satisfactorly using one or both roof airconditioners powered by the Onan. They keep us cool and I dopn't notice any measurable difference in mpg.

Question??? Will there be any advantage to removing the compressor and condenser other than cosmetic?? Leaving it in place may be of consideration for resale???

Thanks for your wise thoughts.

------------------
Gary & Edie
North Idaho
1988 28' P-30 454

Posts: 138 | Location: Hayden Lake (Coeur d'Alene), ID USA | Member Since: 11-14-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Leaving it in place could be a consideration for belt routing. I wouldn't try to say for sure without looking. An idler pulley would be ideal, keeping the original belt angles and wrap.

I should think that, given the price of R 12 freon, the compressor being in place would not be a major consideration at resale time.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I had my dash air fixed this week, and in retrospect, don't know why. It cost over $500. The next time it goes, I'll just use the front roof a/c. Wonder how much fuel that will use per mile? If it's one less mile per gallon, the $500 bucks would have bought 150 gallons of fuel which is over 1250 miles at 8 mpg vs the 9mpg that I get.

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
My 81 454 had a dedicated belt for the compressor so removing it was no big deal. It never worked but I did keep it so it could be reinstalled by another owner. This may have been an aftermarket hang-on unit and this may be why it had it's own belt.

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any idea on the decrease in mileage when dash air is running full time? I figure the generator running full time decreases my mileage by about 0.8 mpg.

------------------
Gary & Edie
North Idaho
1988 28' P-30 454

Posts: 138 | Location: Hayden Lake (Coeur d'Alene), ID USA | Member Since: 11-14-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Pretty much even money on mine. The genset cuts about 1/2 mpg from our mileage. Dash was a little less.

However, the genset benefits from being run more. Very few gensets wear out. Most just get cranky from lackarunnin.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
My Onan burns about a gallon an hour. Ten hours back from Dega means ten gallons for a 620 mile trip, if we actually ran the genny the whole time, which we don't. But at least here's a starting point to figure your expenditure.

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
Danney Zeeff, How many belts do you have driving your power steering pump?
Thanks much Ralph.

Posts: 167 | Location: LaFontaine, IN,USA | Member Since: 07-03-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
If I'm looking at things right, we have a flywheel-waterpump-alternator belt, and a flywheel PS pump belt that runs in the rear[larger] side of the two belt pulley on the pump. The front is vacated, I assume by the removal of the compressor. Does this help? Or even make sense?

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

[This message has been edited by Danny Zeeff (edited September 06, 2005).]

posted Hide Post
Thanks Dan on my 1976 454 I have disconnected the air and I'm trying to find out if anyone is running with only one power steering drive belt, I also have the Hydroboost for the brakes running off the power steer pump.
Thanks
Ralph 1976 Barth 454 27 Footer.

Posts: 167 | Location: LaFontaine, IN,USA | Member Since: 07-03-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Ralph, I'm gonna get back to ya after I have someone with a whole lot more knowledge of these things go over it with me. It should be a day or two at most.

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Even if the chassis A/C can't be removed due to belt routing, merely disconnecting the connector to the A/C clutch will disable the compressor - that way it's being used essentially as an idler pulley.

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rusty, I have my ac disconnected now but I would sure like to find a way to get that big compressor out of the way, make working on the engine, belts etc a lot easier.

Ralph 1976 Barth 27 Footer.

Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I talked to my wrench buddy today and he says running the PS pump on one belt should be no problem other than perhaps a little noise at slow-no speed steering. I haven't even noticed this since taking the comp off and eliminating the second belt, so he says I shouldn't have any problems.

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

[This message has been edited by Danny Zeeff (edited September 10, 2005).]

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by REGLOVER:
Rusty, I have my ac disconnected now but I would sure like to find a way to get that big compressor out of the way, make working on the engine, belts etc a lot easier.

Ralph 1976 Barth 27 Footer.

Lee had his shop doing it a year ago. Let's hope he will post details or pictures.