Barthmobile Portal
Just a note on header installation

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3631087061/m/2371038061

12-02-2003, 12:03 PM
ron
Just a note on header installation
I was concerned that the elemination of a few "accessories" would affect (effect?) the operation of the fuel/air management system on the old 454. Got rid of the air injection (smog stuff), the flapper valve in the right side exhaust and the heat riser to the air box intake. Engine starts and runs with no problems. Seems to actually warm up better and come off the hi-speed idle sooner than when stock. Next step is the FlowMaster mufflers (on order now), then we go to the strip and see what she'll do in the eighth.
12-02-2003, 12:14 PM
davebowers
Ron a friend of mine who had a 1990 something 25 ft. Barth had the whole Banks package installed. Told me with a little gravel on the rode he could spin the duels. Let us know how much rubber you lay down.

------------------
Opportunity always knocks at the least opportune moment.

1985 28 foot Regal
Dave and Deb Bowers
12-02-2003, 12:23 PM
olroy
I'll bet bill h has some choice thoughts on this subject, he's the voice of experience. Generally, I doubt if the smog pump and the heat riser would have a significant effect, but I wonder about what getting rid of EGR does to the fuel/air mixture.
12-02-2003, 12:27 PM
DALE SMITH
ron, how about a fifth? A few wet leaves under the wheels and even back up a few feet then slam into gear should bring on a little SMOKE. GOT TO LOVE THAT ron Dale
12-02-2003, 02:05 PM
ron
Yeah, I'm expectiong about a 3.65 60-ft time (due to the tire spin). :-)

EGR valve? Did I kill that? I hope not, because it sounds like a keeper. I "think" I only deleted the passive stuff with the exception of that manifold flapper.

I know billh made some good points about re-sale for a unit in a state with inspections. Might have a smoking hole in my foot on that one.
12-08-2003, 03:53 AM
bill h
Eliminating the heat riser and blocking the heat riser ports will keep hot exhaust gas from over-warming the oil in the valley. I've seen a bit of coking there on different vehicles. Cold weather warm-up is a bit more raggedy, though.