Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Just a note on header installation
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Just a note on header installation
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I was concerned that the elemination of a few "accessories" would affect (effect?) the operation of the fuel/air management system on the old 454. Got rid of the air injection (smog stuff), the flapper valve in the right side exhaust and the heat riser to the air box intake. Engine starts and runs with no problems. Seems to actually warm up better and come off the hi-speed idle sooner than when stock. Next step is the FlowMaster mufflers (on order now), then we go to the strip and see what she'll do in the eighth.

Posts: 283 | Location: Huntsville, AL USA | Member Since: 11-13-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Ron a friend of mine who had a 1990 something 25 ft. Barth had the whole Banks package installed. Told me with a little gravel on the rode he could spin the duels. Let us know how much rubber you lay down.

------------------
Opportunity always knocks at the least opportune moment.

1985 28 foot Regal
Dave and Deb Bowers

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
I'll bet bill h has some choice thoughts on this subject, he's the voice of experience. Generally, I doubt if the smog pump and the heat riser would have a significant effect, but I wonder about what getting rid of EGR does to the fuel/air mixture.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ron, how about a fifth? A few wet leaves under the wheels and even back up a few feet then slam into gear should bring on a little SMOKE. GOT TO LOVE THAT ron Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'm expectiong about a 3.65 60-ft time (due to the tire spin). :-)

EGR valve? Did I kill that? I hope not, because it sounds like a keeper. I "think" I only deleted the passive stuff with the exception of that manifold flapper.

I know billh made some good points about re-sale for a unit in a state with inspections. Might have a smoking hole in my foot on that one.

Posts: 283 | Location: Huntsville, AL USA | Member Since: 11-13-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Eliminating the heat riser and blocking the heat riser ports will keep hot exhaust gas from over-warming the oil in the valley. I've seen a bit of coking there on different vehicles. Cold weather warm-up is a bit more raggedy, though.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post