Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Copper line from intake on diesel to dash
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Copper line from intake on diesel to dash
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted
Hello Folks: I have been correcting some dash heater problems and I have found a rubber vacuum line that is not connected to anything. I have traced it to a copper 1/4" line that runs from the dash to the intake manifold downstream of the turbo (CAT diesel 3208T). It looks to me like this could only be a line to power a dash boost gauge, but nothing in the books identifies it and I cannot find any tube that it would connect to. Anyone have an idea of what this is?
Thanks
Tom
93 Regency 32'
Cat 300hp
Allison 4 speed

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Yep- the rubber line is open! Just lying there like a snake! Since we be an "ingineer" and we know about pressure losses in pipes, it would appear any attempt to get an accurate boost pressure would be futile- you lose psi per foot of pipe to the point where you would be lucky to read one pound when the engine connection really has 6 to 10 psi. I will check, but if anyone has an idea of doing this it is better to install a sender in the mainfold and use an electric gauge.
Thanks for the tip,
Tom

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
If the tube goes to a guage, it is dead ended and there will be no flow per se, in that case there will b no pressure loss, what is at the beginning of the tube will be at the end of the tube.

Example: if you have a LONG garden hose, and connect it to a pressure source and put a guage at the output end, with it closed, you will read the same pressure at both ends. If the output end is opened, then the pressure will drop at the output end because of the resistance in the length of the hose. All this is assuming you are not pushing water up hill!

Have replied to your email

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post