Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Do Cabinet door gas shocks hold closed?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Do Cabinet door gas shocks hold closed?
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Our new to us 22 ft Barth cabinets won't stay closed. There are no catches to hold them closed just the air shocks. I can see where the previous owners probably used velcro to hold them closed...doubt that this worked. Those doors are heavy AND they are slanted inwards so gravity won't help hold them.
So are the gas shocks supposed to hold them CLOSED as well as open? Ours don't do either now.

Posts: 9 | Location: Bakersfield, CA, USA | Member Since: 04-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, functioning gas springs (shocks) do hold the doors closed as well as open. Many, if not all gas springs on the older Barths have gotten prety tired. Look up "Gas Springs" one these pages and you will find quite a bit about them. I have found a source which has replacement springs, International Gas Springs. If my previous postings don't answer your questions please email me. Don't pay more than $9.50 for your springs -- there are lots of identical ones out there for as much as $20!.

------------------
Gary & Edie
North Idaho
1988 28' P-30 454

Posts: 138 | Location: Hayden Lake (Coeur d'Alene), ID USA | Member Since: 11-14-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/08
posted Hide Post
Bob & Donna:Yes the Gas springs hold the doors closed.Go to Page 2 Gas springs for more INF. TECH

------------------
Jay&Shelby 95 Regency 34ft. 300 hp.

Posts: 134 | Location: Harriman,Tn.U.S.A. | Member Since: 01-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Carl Flack>
posted
Bob: If you replace the gas shocks , your doors will definately stay closed. I just recently replaced all 24 shocks and what a difference. Check some previous "posts" for sources and prices or E-Mail me and I'll send you my info......Carl

THE TOY 1988 33'Regal SE Coach 3448

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info. I did contact Brandt at International Gas Springs and then left an email as an order for 8 of the springs.
I hope they work...then we can cross one more thing off the to-do-before-first-trip list!

Posts: 9 | Location: Bakersfield, CA, USA | Member Since: 04-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Gary in North Idaho got his International gas springs with the ball studs. Mine came without, and I've had to order them @ 50 cents each. Hopefuly, they'll arrive next week.

This is something to watch out for when you place your order..

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post