Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    vacuum generator ?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

vacuum generator ?
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of dr. bart
posted
93 breakaway...
Air leak in front above brake fluid resv....air manifold.....appears to be a vacuum generator...air blows out and there is vacuum on one of the two lines coming out of the device

Both lines coming go to a softball sized container... cruise control ?.....' t ' in one vacuum line with smaller line ....

Help

Posts: 108 | Location: harrisonburg va | Member Since: 06-14-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
If you are still stock, there are two vacuum generators. One up front that you found and one in the engine compartment.

The up front runs the ducting for the heat/ac system and the rear is used for the cruise control. The softball is the vacuum storage device. Normally when full vacuum is reached the air is shut of until more vacuum is needed.

This description is kind of an oxymoron. There is no such thing as a vacuum, but an absence or reduction of air pressure. Just as there is no such thing as cold. Cold is an absence of heat.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dr. bart
posted Hide Post
Thanks gary
Should there be less pressure at both ports ?.... mine spits pressure even with both hoses pinched off....is it bad and where do I get another one ?

Posts: 108 | Location: harrisonburg va | Member Since: 06-14-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
You can not "pinch off" to test. While it is operating there will be the sound of air escaping out of the free port, that is how it works. One port will have a loss of air pressure (vacuum)while the other will have higher pressure and air coming out. Unfortunately these units are no longer made and very difficult to find new! It is originally a Ford part but have been discontinued.

If you are getting a vacuum signal out of one of the ports, then it is probably working. if you "pinch off"the vacuum port, and the air OUT of the other port stops, yes it is probably good, however, if the air continues to come out then it is BAD!

HTH

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dr. bart
posted Hide Post
Makes sense....except it always bleeds air until the front pressure gauge reads zero .....is this normal ?...should it be on a solenoid so it's only on when the dash fan is on or something ?..... removing it for now.....pipe plug .temporary fix....

Does the one in the rear work the same?.....haven't looked for that one yet.... the rear air pressure stays up for days...

How do I fix this ..... help

posted Hide Post
I haven't researched it much, but mine have valves inline with the vacuum generators. When the air pressure gets to low the air to the generator shuts off. This keeps the generators from draining the air tanks.

Even though the Ford generators are no longer available, there are many other units available that will work. I have a cheap harbor freight unit used as a evacuator for ac systems, that could replace the original.

Unless the generator corrods it should never go bad. All you have is air blowing across an orface. Might get dirty and need to be cleaned.

5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/09
Picture of Lance Walton
posted Hide Post
I believe that the black orb you are referring to is for the Acme dash air conditioning system. Here is a good site for information http://soldbyrichard.com/rvacheaterparts.php. The owner worked for Acme for sixteen years and is quite knowledgeable about the systems.

Lance & Sue Walton
Previous owner of a
1993 38ft Regency
Cummins 6CTA8.3 300HP
Allison MD3060 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Loveland, CO

Posts: 229 | Location: Loveland, CO | Member Since: 06-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Both my vacuum generators failed in the same manner, they would not shut off. Shortly later the rear generator used for the cruise control stopped working but would continue to use air. I found it very bad to use the brake air system for this purpose. I also didn't like the continual cycling that the air pump had to go thru. More wear and tear on the pump and the drying system.

I replaced the cruise control system with a home brew all electrical system and used a motorized vacuum pump for the HVAC control system.

Anything you add/change to the brake air system MUST be thought out so you don't bleed off the tanks too quickly or becomes a liability while driving.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dr. bart
posted Hide Post
Mine isn't a straight vacuum oriface.... I has a diaphram that appears to regulate it .....what harbor freight. Item replaced it ?

posted Hide Post
I didn't say I used a Harbor Freight unit, but I could. The item is #96677 and under $20.

5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance