Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Gas to diesel conversion
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Gas to diesel conversion
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
Picture of izomage
posted
Somewhere buried in this forum is a very informative discussion about sticking a diesel in a gas coach. If I, or someone else finds it, maybe we should link it to this thread. I think the topic deserves its own identity. If Dave Bowers were still patrolling these waters I would dare not mention the other F word but I'll take a chance now. In looking over Foretravel specifications I notice that 460 ford / oshkosh combos were also available with 5.9 Cummins as an option. This leads me to believe that it would be doable on a 460 Barth, especially a tall one. Of coarse the rear ratio was different, the front and rear axle rating were different, the wiring harness and rats nest under the dash would have to be dealt with, but still I wonder. Those more knowledgeable than I feel free to step in here.

Posts: 57 | Location: Severna Park, Maryland | Member Since: 08-12-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I think you're onto something there. A late model 5.9 from a wrecked Dodge pickup would be a possible source. That 5.9 became less and less anemic almost every year. Hunt down some owners and get opinions on which years to buy.

Find a Foretravel site or club, meet a few 5.9 owners, and invite yourself over with a camera and a tape measure. Don't tell them you are considering a non-Foretravel. Heck, you might even end up getting a Foretravel. They are very good coaches.

I considered a Duramax in my Pee Thirty-something, but crossmember issues and the non-availaility of a donor vehicle in 2000 put the kibosh on that one.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
What about this conversion in that 34' Regal gas pusher with Oshkosh/ 460/ Allison combo??
When I looked at that coach last spring, one thing that really stuck out was the Ford 460 looked like a pea in a gallon jug, the engine compartment was so large! Would the trick be mating up the engine to the tranny, since things are facing astern?
Don

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of izomage
posted Hide Post
I think it was Ed Chevalier who first pointed out that the 460 pusher looked like an ideal candidate for a diesel transplant. Sounds like there is enough room for a 3208 in there. I thought the pushers spun backwards, that is in relation to pullers. I know the 8v71 in my gmc pusher spins opposite the truck engines. I've been told you can reverse those engines if you have the knack.

I really should go take a look at that 460 pusher, its not that far from me really, but I told myself to stay under 30 ft. so will exercise a little self control for a change.

Posts: 57 | Location: Severna Park, Maryland | Member Since: 08-12-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A much easier converson for the 460 is a 6.9/7.3 International (Ford pu). Just find a wrecked Ford P/U for the doner and you have every thing you need. Personally would use a 7.3Turbo. Since the binder engine is a V8 you don't have the extra length of the 6 cylinder to worry about. This is especailly true if you are change out a front engine.

If you have a front engine and really want to do it right (purse strings) find a late model 6.0 liter. These are a lot quiter under the front dog house.

Keep in mind it would be best to get the engine and transmisson as a set. You would also get an overdrive transmission allowing for lower operating RPMs and therefore better MPG.

BTW pushers are still right hand engines. In the GM buses the engine was sitting sideways so it was easier to spin it left hand to make the 90 degree bend. When they switched to 4 stroke engines it was harder to spin the left hand so the put a reverser in the 730 transmission and made it a R731.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Carter:
When they switched to 4 stroke engines it was harder to spin the left hand so the put a reverser in the 730 transmission and made it a R731.

Hmmm..........lots of GM 4 cycle gassers were made in reverse for boats. I even reversed a Corvair engine when I flopped it. Just a different cam and distributor, as I recall.

Is there something different in diesels that makes reversing more of a problem?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not certain why they don't do left diesels anymore. The only left hand 4 stroke that I know of was the 903 Cummins V8. I know on some of the others it has to do with oil passages designed for right hand turning engines. The other reason may be just to small of a market and it is simplier to just use a reversing gear. Maybe they also have to be EPA recertified again.

I do also know that both Lycoming and Continental make left hand light aircraft engines so that on twin engines you get counter rotating props. This is the same reason that it is available on boats.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
Here's an ad for a Cummins from a local website.Cummins turbo diesel engine W/6 speed automatic transmission it comes equiped with all the hardware and ready to install. Includes the radiator and air condition unit and condensor.The unit has less than 25,000 miles it was removed from a 2005 Dodge 1 ton dully. The truck was a total loss from a passenger side impact at the rear dullies. I am asking $6000.00 but am willing to discuss any serious offer. Need to sell. Leave a message and I will return your call.
Date Submitted: 10/07/07

Home Phone: (409) 794-1262

1999 Airstream Safari 25'
2007 Toyota Tundra
1987 Yamaha YSR toads

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The AMG 6.5L TD (as was the original 6.5L TD) rotates standard - the diffy was flipped side-to-side (so it's upside down). I put a Mag-HyTec cover on it and made a dipstick to check the level.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post