Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Front brakes on 84 35 ft Regency
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Front brakes on 84 35 ft Regency
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Capt Bob
posted
i need to change brakes on the Barth before i can do anymore trips, any info on what to expect before i attempt this, and where do i get the front replacement pads, would like to get pads today and a mechanic friend of mine will help me change them tomorrow

Capt Bob
1984 35ft Regency
MCC chassis
8.2 Detroit Turbo

Posts: 115 | Location: West Central Florida | Member Since: 10-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 01/08
Picture of Deb&Eds38
posted Hide Post
Capt Bob

Mine is an 82 and I am not sure yours are the same but my pads were off of a F350. The fellow who changed them for me matched part #s and that's what they came up with.

P.S. I have all that documentation you wanted. We must live fairly close so if you want it I will lend it to you and you can copy what you want.

ED.

Posts: 357 | Location: Ortona- Turkey Creek Florida | Member Since: 10-04-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of billyt53
posted Hide Post
Capt Bob,
What is your Chassis VIN? I just did the front brakes on our Spartan IC chassis. Got all of the parts from Spartan directly. The brake shoe kits came with all of the hardware. Also ordered wheel seals and window kits. The front drums were severly cracked becaused the original owner did not have an exhaust brake so he apparently smoked them a few times. We were fortunate to find replacement drums locally.
BTW, you can call me too 337-233-7494

Billy & Helen Thibodeaux

Retired from Billy Thibodeaux's Premiere RV, Inc. Scott, LA 70583 I-10 Exit 97
The Farm is near Duson, LA I-10 Exit 92 then N 1 mile on right
Three Full 50 Amp RV Hookups !
billynhelen@me.com
Data Tag: 9404-3908-36XI-2C
1994 Sovereign 36' Widebody on Spartan IC (Mountain Master Lite) Chassis.
Powered by Cummins ISL9-450
Onan 8,000 Quiet Diesel Genset
Toad: 2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2 Diesel with M&G Car Brake

Posts: 375 | Location: 1mile north of I-10 Exit 92, Duson, LA USA in The Heart of CAJUN COUNRTY ! ! ! | Member Since: 05-14-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deb&Eds35:
Mine is an 82 and I am not sure yours are the same but my pads were off of a F350. The fellow who changed them for me matched part #s and that's what they came up with.
I have been told that these brakes are woefully undersized for this size coach.

If these are original sized pads it might indeed be from an F350. If it is, you can get em at NAPA.

The MCC Chassis is no longer made. The parts are still available by contacting...

Motor Coach Restoration
Christopher Hoagland
800-786-1536 ~ 217-735-1536
Fax: 217-735-3119

You need to check first to see if this coach is one that has the upgraded brakes and rotors. If you can afford it, and it makes sense to you, I would strongly consider going with the updated brake and rotor kit from these people.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Capt Bob
posted Hide Post
will be starting on brakes tomorrow, i crawed under and looked everything over and did notice that their were hydrolic lines going to the calipers,

Capt Bob
1984 35ft Regency
MCC chassis
8.2 Detroit Turbo

Posts: 115 | Location: West Central Florida | Member Since: 10-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
Bob, Your coach has what is called "air over hydraulic" brakes, not straight air, not straight hydraulic, but a combination of both... What Bill N.Y. is referring to is the size of the rotors and pads... If you have to replace rotors anyway then it would probably be worth the extra expense of buying the larger disks from Chris... If the disks are OK you can probably just replace the pads... If you talk to Chris @ MCR he can probably tell you if your brakes have ever been upgraded... Good Luck -n- do you still have my number?

Doug

Click for Saint Clair Shores, Michigan Forecast

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
Also, one more thing... If you have to change or do anything to the calipers this might be a good time to consider silicone brake fluid... You will need to drain all the lines then flush them with alcohol and dry them before adding the silicone but it is good insurance especilly if you have the smaller rotors as the silicone will handle the heat alot better then the standard brake fluid (ie: wont boil)..

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Capt Bob
posted Hide Post
hey Patch, thanks for teh help. and im not sure where Connie put your number,would you give it to me again please,, thanks capt bob

Capt Bob
1984 35ft Regency
MCC chassis
8.2 Detroit Turbo

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Capt Bob - tell Connie I said hi! Wink

Now, for the matter at hand. I am giving you a link to a post by member chrisW who has done this job.

http://barthmobile.com/eve/for...061/m/8331047713/p/1

Unfortunately, Chris has not kept his Free PhotoBucket Account updated (requirement of PB) and the images are currently unavailable. Once he signs into PB, these images will become accessible again on our site... that is if PB doesn't delete them first. Frowner

Your Account Will Be Suspended!

To anyone who hasn't stopped into PB in a while, please sign onto PB so your images will not be deleted.

It's a shame really. His pictures showed a lot of detail on the brakes. Hopefully his description will be adequate. You might want to shoot him a PM to get advice.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Capt Bob
posted Hide Post
Hey Bill, Connie said Hi to you and is looking forward to the next GTG, she is getting ready for a X-COUNTRY marathon this Sunday,thanks for all the help on this , everyone on here is so helpful to each other, i cant wait until i can help someone from learning from you all,i didnt know owning a Barth would be so much fun, get offers from people wanting to buy her quite often, we have been making short trips almost every weekend in it, but also have to make time for upkeep like brakes and hopefully willo get that done tomorrow, see uall soon,

Capt Bob
1984 35ft Regency
MCC chassis
8.2 Detroit Turbo

Picture of Capt Bob
posted Hide Post
ok, had to change and replace the metal brake lines, had a leak in one fixed it , then blew out the other side replaced all of that to discover, that i have a callasped hose that goes from the brake line to the caliper, havent been able to fine one yet, so will probally have one made,, maybe two on monday,, i havent had this coach very long maybe 3 months , my first experience with air brakes, didnt really like the stopping power, well the problem wasnt that i needed front brake pads it was that i had no front brakes at all, so after i get all of this done there should be a big difference, any suggestions on where to maybe get a replacement hose at,,, thanks bob

Capt Bob
1984 35ft Regency
MCC chassis
8.2 Detroit Turbo

Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
Chris at MCR will have them for sure.... You can do a search for Motor Coach Restorations... Also again this would be a good time to change to silicone brake fluid.... And if the "LOW" fluid light on the dash is on after you bleed it you will need to reset the sensor...

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patch1st:
Chris at MCR will have them for sure.... You can do a search for Motor Coach Restorations...
The information to get in touch with Chris is the 4th post in this current thread. Or click on this link and you'll jump back to it.
quote:
Originally posted by Patch1st:
And if the "LOW" fluid light on the dash is on after you bleed it you will need to reset the sensor...
Read this post by Patch as it goes a little more into detail and it has other links to some more posts.

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Picture of Capt Bob
posted Hide Post
Hey Bill thanks for the links on finding parts,ill be checking them out today, and Patch will also be flushing out old brake fluid and having the new put in, one more question, so on this braking system is it hydraulic front and air rear, is that how these work ?

Capt Bob
1984 35ft Regency
MCC chassis
8.2 Detroit Turbo

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Capt Bob:
...so on this braking system is it hydraulic front and air rear, is that how these work ?
Air over hydraulics is an air actuated pedal. The pedal that you see in the cab is full air and has an air plunger that applies the hydraulic master cylinder through a remote mounted pushtube plunger. This setup allows the master cylinder to be remotely mounted without mechanical linkages/plunger directly attached to your foot pedal.

Most of the times you will see 2 hydraulic brake master cylinders. A front and a rear master cylinder.

The only thing the air does is help boost how much psi is applying your brakes on the hydraulic side.

Comparing it to a car, pickup or light truck...
~Like: Your air psi is almost the same as a hydraulic or vacuum brake booster. It boosts the available psi so you don't have to do all the heavy pushing on the pedal.
~Unlike: There is no direct mechanical connection. If you loose air psi - your air plunger will not work the hydraulic master cylinder pushtube no matter how hard you push the brake pedal down.

If you have no air psi, and you can still move your coach, check your emergency brakes.

Here is a good article to read that might explain it better. Go down to where it says Three Systems for Transmitting Braking Power

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis