Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Front brakes on 84 35 ft Regency
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Front brakes on 84 35 ft Regency
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Capt Bob
posted Hide Post
wow,i'm glad i asked, i really didnt understand quite how this system worked, thanks, hope to have it finished today, next is on to a small propane leak, i have the tanks shut off for now, went to have them filled and it was receiving the propane extremely slow, but after getting some in there starting smelling a little smell every now and then

Capt Bob
1984 35ft Regency
MCC chassis
8.2 Detroit Turbo

Posts: 115 | Location: West Central Florida | Member Since: 10-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Capt Bob
posted Hide Post
one more question, i was told by the mechanic that i had a collasped hose going from line to caliper, when we pushed brakes got fluid to caliper to bleed and no fluid, we loosened hose at caliper and got no fluid, so we retighened that and loosened it at the line and was getting fluid there, talked to someone today and they sdaid that was weird, that a collasped hose means fluid shoulkd go thru but wont be returned to canister, any input on this one,,, thanks Bob

Capt Bob
1984 35ft Regency
MCC chassis
8.2 Detroit Turbo

Posts: 115 | Location: West Central Florida | Member Since: 10-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Capt Bob:
next is on to a small propane leak, i have the tanks shut off for now, went to have them filled and it was receiving the propane extremely slow, but after getting some in there starting smelling a little smell every now and then

First off propane is scary so please be careful. Having said that, anytime I have had the propane filled on mine I could smell propane. As was explained to me you should smell it because to fill it properly there is a little breather cap that must be removed for two reasons 1:For a saftey overflow and 2: to allow room for the liquid to enter the tank without increased pressure. I had my coach filled by a gentleman that didnt know what he was doing one time and it was very slow and had alot of leakage. I would suggest trying a different place next time you fill yours. Our coaches have an automatic shutoff and when filled properly you can see the hose jump when the tank is full, and the liquid will automatically stop flowing. The breather cap is located about two inches above the larger fitting where the fill hose attaches to the tank. My tank holds roughly 25.25 gallons or about 110 lbs.

Click for Saint Clair Shores, Michigan Forecast

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
quote:
one more question, i was told by the mechanic that i had a collasped hose going from line to caliper, when we pushed brakes got fluid to caliper to bleed and no fluid, we loosened hose at caliper and got no fluid, so we retighened that and loosened it at the line and was getting fluid there, talked to someone today and they sdaid that was weird, that a collasped hose means fluid shoulkd go thru but wont be returned to canister, any input on this one,,, thanks Bob

I have only seen a hose collapse in the other direction from yours also, but it sounds to me like you did the proper diagnostics to be sure that it is a bad hose. Also I dont think the hose could cost that much, maybe now would be a good time to replace all four? One more thing about air over hydraulic, if you lose pressure in a line (leak,seal,whatever reason) you wont feel it in the pedal like you will in a straight hydraulic sysem like a car where the pedal will go to the floor. That wont happen in your system.

Click for Saint Clair Shores, Michigan Forecast

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Capt Bob
posted Hide Post
Well hopefully will get to finish brakes today and that will be another part of hands on that allows me to get to know my Barth a little better, next will be the propane , i did find where the leak is coming from , it looks like a relief valve on the tank itsself right where the propane leaves the tank to go to the coach

Capt Bob
1984 35ft Regency
MCC chassis
8.2 Detroit Turbo

Picture of Capt Bob
posted Hide Post
GOT FRONT BRAKES NOW, didnt know i was driving with no front brakes at all, i did know that these coaches were known for under sized front brakes so thats why i thought i had them never once thought i didnt just thought thats the way they were, now i can stop on a dime, i feel so much better, i really didnt like the braking system but didnt know any different and this is my first air brake vehicle, and now i understand what air brakes are all about, just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all their help, and i will be starting on the back brakes this week, again thanks,,,,Capt Bob and Connie

Capt Bob
1984 35ft Regency
MCC chassis
8.2 Detroit Turbo

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
...thanks for all the help on this , everyone on here is so helpful to each other, i cant wait until i can help someone from learning from you all...
You can start right now Bob. Big Grin
quote:
GOT FRONT BRAKES NOW,
Do you have part numbers of the pads, hoses or anything else you replaced for the next person who decides to do their own brakes? Did you snap any pictures?

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Going is a lot more fun when you can stop.
Bob and Connie, and anyone else in the area for that matter, we're thinking about Lake Manatee State park the weekend of April 2. We like site 16 and there are some around it for that weekend. The park is a bit more rustic than Hillsborough, but we like it. Hopefully my buddy will bring his pontoon boat up so we can all go out for a ride on the lake. I'll let you know if/when I make reserves.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3481 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted Hide Post
hey capt when you coming down this way getting
lenny

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Capt Bob
posted Hide Post
well i am getting ready to start back brakes , so ill be starting new post, and for reference , i had a collasped brake line going to the caliber and it was replaced with one from early 80's ----C 30 or G 30 , i forget whicvh one it was , cost $15 from NAPA took the old one in and they called somewhere and gave them the measurements,, thanks again Bob

Capt Bob
1984 35ft Regency
MCC chassis
8.2 Detroit Turbo

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Capt. Bob: My brother is undertaking a brake job and his coach which is the same as yours. He found cracked front rotors - do you know of a source for those? He also is working on the gasoline powered generator. He has no spark and has found that his has a magneto rather than a distributor. Do you by chance have the same setup?

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Chris has done this job too. and he's got great pictures too.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Capt Bob
posted Hide Post
Hey Tom i did redo my brakes and there is only one place that sell those and they are expensive , i dodnt remember the name of the place riqht off , but its the one that carries all the Barth parts , i think its Motor Coach Restoration , my calipers i ot from NAPA, capt Bob

Capt Bob
1984 35ft Regency
MCC chassis
8.2 Detroit Turbo

Picture of chrisW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill N.Y.:
Chris has done this job too. and he's got great pictures too.

Yep, it was not that bad a job to replace the whole front end – and I didn’t think it was that expensive….but then again I am more used to Porsche parts pricing! Leslie (now Chris) at motor coach restoration were very helpful, Leslie even talked me out of the big brake upgrade twice!

The stock brakes work just fine as long as you drive it like a ‘truck’, gear down for long downhills and don’t ride the brakes. I tow a 5000lb trailer most of the time and the road from the track to downtown at Watkins Glen in a couple of miles of very steep grade (5% +/-). The rig will stay at about 35 in 2nd gear with no braking.

1985 Regency 35'
8.2T Detriot Diesel / Allison
other toys - a bunch of old Porsches, a GT350 and a '65 mustang convertible.

Posts: 164 | Location: Syracuse NY | Member Since: 07-03-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post