Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    routing camera cable
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

routing camera cable
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/19
Picture of Sneelock
posted
I would like to replace or upgrade my existing long-in-the-tooth and somewhat unreliable panasonic rear view camera. I know there are several wireless choices out there but my understanding is that there may be connectivity issues with our aluminum skinned Barths. So it will probably end up being a wired system I go with.

Newer camera systems don't use the same kind of wire as the existing systems so I'm faced with figuring out how to route the new wire.

Has anyone actually had their ceiling or roof apart enough to see whether running wire in that space is even possible?

I have the original drawings for how my coach was wire i.e. which wires run in the which wall or ceiling but even these documents are not detailed enough to show how or whether the wires are secured, if there's anything in the way of a chase, etc.

Any info, feedback, suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

Posts: 28 | Location: Pacific City, OR | Member Since: 08-12-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
A lot depends on what year and model you have. Earlier models had fiberglass insulation installed between the ribs and would be difficult to run wire(s) thru all that. Later models like mine had that CRAPPY bubble insulation and you could fish a wire(s) or chase thru the holes in the ribs. I have done it but lot of time consuming work.

It would also depend on if you have various opening in the ceiling such as lights, A/C vents where you could guide the chase or cables thru.

You may be better off running the camera wires straight down and go along the underside or frame. that may be much easier to do.

HTH

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2588 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/10
Picture of bud@YXY
posted Hide Post
If you are OK with Black& white --- there are plug and play replacement systems. We installed one a few years ago which has worked very well. The camera plugged into the plug located in the rear of the Barth and the monitor fit the same mountings as the original monitor and used the original plugs as well--- no fishing of cables from A to B required!

Bud

1993 Breakaway 36ft & 1977 20 ft
Spartan: air ride and brakes & P32(?)
Cummins: 8.3 litre 250hp, PACBrake
Allison 3060 (6 spd)
Front entry, side hallway
7.5 kw diesel gen.
1999 2dr Tracker 4X4 5spd, SMI Braking system

Posts: 253 | Location: Yukon--Arizona and around | Member Since: 06-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
My B/W original Sony monitor in my '92 Breakaway is useable but clarity is suspect at times. Bud, had you tried to service your original system, and to no avail? I think I would replace mine if the replacement was a direct fit into the dash extension. Any chance you might have model number/contact information for the B/W unit you located?

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bud@YXY
posted Hide Post
The info for who we ordered the system from is unfortunately with the Barth in Arizona (I am, at present, in Yukon)-- however I see that RVCams has replacement monitors and they claim to have colour systems that plug in as well (this may be new since we replaced ours). Our system died due to PO's re-wiring at camera end and then my trying fix the problem by adjusting the monitor (as I didn't know it was the camera wires that were giving the problem)
.http://www.rvcams.com/p/15/SSM-721AMR-KIT.html

Hope this helps. We will be in AZ by late Feb. if you still need info at that time please let me know.

Bud

Allison 3060 (6 spd)
7.5 kw diesel gen.

Posts: 253 | Location: Yukon--Arizona and around | Member Since: 06-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/19
Picture of Sneelock
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies all. FWIW I am very familiar with the offerings of both Tadi Bros and Rearview Safety Systems. The system I'm leaning toward is similar to the one in Doug's link except it also has side cameras and the multiplexer unit.

With respect to the other link, I prefer a dedicated camera system to one using a smartphone or incorporating other functions like navigation - I don't want there to be any chance that some other functionality will interrupt the primary function at the worst possible moment.

So, a wired, dedicated camera system. And while the simplicity of a replacement camera/monitor is tempting, it probably won't easily accommodate the side cameras I'd like to add.

Ed, I hear what you're saying about insulation and the difficulty of fishing wires in a space like that, I just wondered if anyone ever actually had the ceiling or roof apart. The photo of the roof assembly on the Barth factory floor someone posted recently seems to show something that looks like a chase in the ceiling structure but they might just be a non-continuous structural member with no channel.

Not sure why my rig info doesn't show up. I've put it in my profile but I'm not sure how the signature feature works or whether I even have that permission so I haven't done anything about it.

For what that's worth, I have a 95 36' Monarch, Cummins 8.3c 300hp, Allison MD 3060 on a Spartan and my name is Chuck.

I probably will end up doing as suggested and route the cabling down the frame.

One more thing. If you really want to see an awesome system, check out this link: Proviu camera system

Some higher end European cars have something like this but as far as I can tell this specific system might not be available here.

Thanks again all!

Posts: 28 | Location: Pacific City, OR | Member Since: 08-12-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
Thx. Bud, rvcam appears to have what I possibly will need. Hopefully I will not have to replace my wiring (no PO has messed with it). Do you know if a procedure to ascertain which component is the cause of the poor performance - monitor, camera, and/or wiring? I think I'll try some electronics contact cleaner first.

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
When I got my coach the camera was shot. Being outside it had gotten exposed and quit working. I replaced the brick sized camera with a small B/W security camera (size of a golf ball!) from Kmart. Made by Swann, cost about $30. I had to swap one connector on the cable. Still working 4 yrs later.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5196 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bud@YXY
posted Hide Post
The B&W monitor has adjustments inside but the camera had none. The camera and monitor both have plug-ins close by--- the camera plug-in on mine was located down the hole behind the camera and (luckily) came out when the cable was pulled up.The tech I talked with said some of the camera models were not as reliable but I do not know how you would test.

Bud

Allison 3060 (6 spd)
7.5 kw diesel gen.

Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
Removed the monitor today and tried the CRC electronics cleaner on both the AV and power connections - to no avail. It works but the outer margins "Z" inward partially into the picture and clarity is lacking. I believe this is a lack of input to the monitor, and therefore suspect the camera. On my Breakaway it appears that access to the camera wiring is thru a cover panel in the cabinets above the bed. Project for another day

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Check out the Tadi brothers out of California. Had great luck with their equipment.,
quote:
Originally posted by Sneelock:
I would like to replace or upgrade my existing long-in-the-tooth and somewhat unreliable panasonic rear view camera. I know there are several wireless choices out there but my understanding is that there may be connectivity issues with our aluminum skinned Barths. So it will probably end up being a wired system I go with.

Newer camera systems don't use the same kind of wire as the existing systems so I'm faced with figuring out how to route the new wire.

Has anyone actually had their ceiling or roof apart enough to see whether running wire in that space is even possible?

I have the original drawings for how my coach was wire i.e. which wires run in the which wall or ceiling but even these documents are not detailed enough to show how or whether the wires are secured, if there's anything in the way of a chase, etc.

Any info, feedback, suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
You may want to look into short sections of wiring marketed as "adapters" that enable newer cameras and monitors to be connected to the old/original wiring.

posted Hide Post
The camera plugged into the plug located in the rear of the Barth. ROTFLMAO

Posts: 3 | Location: Georgia | Member Since: 01-30-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
Wonderful Luther. I will remove the interior access panel, disconnect the plug, and then remove the camera from the outside mount. I expect to send out the camera for service. If I am satisfied with the service I will post the name of the provider. Take care.