Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    routing camera cable
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

routing camera cable
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/10
Picture of bud@YXY
posted Hide Post
The plug for our camera was accessed by pulling it up through the hole in the back of the Barth next to the camera. We did not access it from inside. YMMV ! Smiler

1993 Breakaway 36ft & 1977 20 ft
Spartan: air ride and brakes & P32(?)
Cummins: 8.3 litre 250hp, PACBrake
Allison 3060 (6 spd)
Front entry, side hallway
7.5 kw diesel gen.
1999 2dr Tracker 4X4 5spd, SMI Braking system

Posts: 253 | Location: Yukon--Arizona and around | Member Since: 06-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
Great. She's funny 'bout work boots on her bed pillow.

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you,Pgh. Pirate,I will take the news all the time.

---------------------------------------------------
Samsung Galaxy S7 case

Posts: 3 | Location: Georgia | Member Since: 01-30-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
Sent the camera to RV Cams, Inc., located in Baton Rouge, LA:

www.RVCams.com

They determined, correctly, the camera to be defective. They offered a replacement, that when coupled with an adapter plug, would work with the existing camera wiring. The camera offered was a Voyager VBCS150 for $177, including the adapter. The only problem I had with this option was the replacement camera was about one inch narrower. I wanted to keep my existing camera mount (painted same color as coach, no drilling to fit a new bracket, etc.)I could have fitted the new replacement via fabricating some sort of spacers but instead asked if there was any alternative. They offered me a used (bench tested) original replacement for roughly same price. I chose the used. Shipping, including the return of my old camera, was very fast.

The camera/monitor now work great. I would recommend all to do business with this company - seem very knowledgeable and reasonably priced.

One final thought: When I asked the technician about servicing an old Sony monitor like mine (should the need arise) he said it was very difficult because replacement parts are no longer available. He added the "hardest" thing on a monitor is turning it on/off repeatedly...As you know, the camera comes on automatically every time the tranny is placed in reverse. There are many times I shift into reverse and do not need the camera (ie. fine adjustments to placement on a camping pad, etc. - the wife enjoys feeling important). On the occasions when I need the camera I can easily turn it on manually and leave it on as needed. There is a wire junction at the monitor. I intend to determine which terminal is the power from the tranny-on function and snip the corresponding wire, adding a crimped connector for re-attachment if desired.

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Been there, did that on my break away. Job from hell. Had to remove the mirror on the rear wall, cut the plywood away, grommet every wall stud and fish the wire around a 90 near the foot of the bed. Tati brothers makes a great wireless camera.
quote:
Originally posted by Sneelock:
I would like to replace or upgrade my existing long-in-the-tooth and somewhat unreliable panasonic rear view camera. I know there are several wireless choices out there but my understanding is that there may be connectivity issues with our aluminum skinned Barths. So it will probably end up being a wired system I go with.

Newer camera systems don't use the same kind of wire as the existing systems so I'm faced with figuring out how to route the new wire.

Has anyone actually had their ceiling or roof apart enough to see whether running wire in that space is even possible?

I have the original drawings for how my coach was wire i.e. which wires run in the which wall or ceiling but even these documents are not detailed enough to show how or whether the wires are secured, if there's anything in the way of a chase, etc.

Any info, feedback, suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/19
Picture of Sneelock
posted Hide Post
From the range of responses it sounds like a major undertaking, as I suspected it would be. For those of you who have elected to repair/replace or adapt the camera, I kinda have my heart set on a system that will offer the color, higher resolution and features like side cameras and a larger monitor.

As to running the wire, it's looking like it would probably be less trouble (for me at least) to just run whatever path that has some access, even down the frame if necessary. Most of the wired systems seem to come with more than 60' of cable so that should be plenty.

Your mention of a wireless system however is interesting. It would obviously eliminate the need to run signal wires but I've hesitated to consider any wireless system be it camera, TPMS or otherwise due to Barth's aluminum construction. I've noticed that wifi signals at least degrade the instant I step into my coach. I just assumed there was some kind of Faraday effect in operation and never pursued it any further.

Can anyone chime in on this concept of radio waves and aluminum constructuon, preferably from expertise or experience?

Posts: 28 | Location: Pacific City, OR | Member Since: 08-12-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Our coach did not come with a rearview camera. I used a modified plate mounted camera with a 7" led display that I purchased on sale for around $30. Ebay has them in the $50-$60 range. BU Camera

I mounted it just below the rear center clearance light. powered the camera and transmitter from the light power and drilled 1/4" hole thru light into rear cabinet and mounted the transmitter. Works great. If I want it on I just turn on parking/clearance lights. Can see hitch ball and trailer great. Using it for about 3 years now.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/16
Picture of Quinn
posted Hide Post
Doorman: Genius! Thumbs Up

89 28' Regal
Quad Bunks
P-30 454
8906-3623-28C-B

Posts: 235 | Location: San Leandro, California | Member Since: 08-06-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post