Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Is my pack brake crazy
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Is my pack brake crazy
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted
I recently had new linkage put on my TPS (throttle position sensor) cable. After that, I noticed that when I flip the toggle for the pack brake, the read out on my Allison tranny LED goes to second gear. Is this normal? I never noticed it doing this before.
I don't know if it's related but I also put a new bolt on the collar around my turbo on this trip.

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of madrone
posted Hide Post
Your exhaust brake is working correctly, it works in conjuction with the Allison transmission. Although it shows second gear it will downshift through the gears only when a low enough speed is reached to do it without over revving the engine. Engine RPM's must be kept as high as possible for the exhaust brake to be truly effective. It is an excellent system don't be afraid of it.

Posts: 69 | Location: Texas | Member Since: 11-26-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback. I never noticed it doing that before.

Rick

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/10
Picture of Scott W
posted Hide Post
We just purchased a 36' 93 Breakaway. According to the option list it should have a pac brake. What switch would it be? We are trying to figure all the switches out. Thanks,

1993 Breakaway XL 36'
250 hp 8.3 Cummins
Spartan Chassis

Posts: 13 | Location: Cedar Bluff Al | Member Since: 05-20-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Hey Scott,

My pack brake switch is on the dash. It has a rectangular metal switch plate with a toggle switch on it. It says 'pac brake'. Hope this helps.

Rick