Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    12/24 Volt Question
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

12/24 Volt Question
 Login now/Join our community

posted
My '83 Regency is equipped with a DUVAC System. This is part of the charging system allowing the use of split voltage (i.e. 12/24). Has anybody had any experience with this? As far as I am aware, everything on my coach is 12 volt. Am I missing something? If, in fact, everything is 12 volt, why would this be there?
Thanks,
Steve

Posts: 23 | Location: clinton, MI, lenawee | Member Since: 01-02-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I tried to write an understandable post, but got all tripped up.

Here is a good link:

http://www.surepower.com/Support/tbulletins.asp

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link, Bill. However,I already had that information. What I am trying to find out is why there is a dual voltage unit on my Coach as everything appears to be 12 volt. If you feel you can explain it over the telephone, ping me offline and I will call you.
Thanks,
Steve

Posts: 23 | Location: clinton, MI, lenawee | Member Since: 01-02-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Steve, does your engine have a 24 volt starter?

Is your alternator 24 volt?

It is not ideal to charge batteries or banks of batteries in parallel. Lots of us do it, but good marine shore chargers have separate outputs for each bank. One idea I have toyed with in my mind is to have a setup that would charge two 12 volt banks connected in series with a 24 volt alternator, but allow 12 volt power takeoff. I believe this could be done with a DUVAC or DUVAC II, but it is still just a mind-wandering thing so far. Maybe Barth did that for your coach. I believe it would require a 24 volt alternator and starter for my gasser.

But, things would get more complicated when my 12 volt solar system is considered. Diode losses and such like. Wish I had started out with a 24 volt solar system.

Maybe Ron could come up with a double male cord for this.

[This message has been edited by bill h (edited October 31, 2003).]

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, I'm on it. Thinking that some sort of phased array with a 58Hz bypass and maybe a semi-hygrogenated sine wave and quick-disconnect superflous flat board and a gear driven diddly quaffilious just might handle this.

Mr. Daniels, please disregard all this rambling. I find it difficult not to defend my precarious engineering status when so blatant a challange is issued. :-) Whatever you do, do not go back and read my previous postuilations involving a male-male cord.....................!

Posts: 283 | Location: Huntsville, AL USA | Member Since: 11-13-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well!!... I thought I had this one almost solved...After reading Rons post.... I don't think I'm mentally qualified to stay within the stratosphere of this mental integrity.
You know Ron that extention cord just might work! Regards, Al

Posts: 75 | Location: Villa Rica, Ga, USA | Member Since: 03-15-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ron, how about your version of a MOUSE TRAP? Draw and discribe it for us. Please... HINT, It's ok to use the CORD.

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
The tricky part will be getting the mouse to plug in the cord!

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Man, I hope all you guys are still around for the rally, this is really going to be a kick.

------------------
"Ships are safe in the harbor.....But that's not what ships are for"

1985 28 foot Regal
Dave and Deb Bowers

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ron must be drawing, testing, thinking, and thinking some more. I bet he is thinking lobster, and is singing, BACK HOME AGAIN IN INDIANA. Oh ron where are you? The more we don't hear from you the FRAIDER we get.

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A better Mouse Trap huh? OK, so I been doin some calculations here. I figure we really need to have the Barth as an integral part of the trap. I have to find some hydraulic control valves and maybe a programmable operating setup, solid rubber tires, overhead crane for "cocking" the system and appropriate bait. Should have a prototype ready for field trials by late December.

32'/sec/sec, 3.767 ft vertical drop, impact point area will be adjustable in case anyone has rats (takes more force to deal with a big one), automatic reset is optional, cleanup/disposal can be contracted out to a third party. I'm on it guys. :-)

Posts: 283 | Location: Huntsville, AL USA | Member Since: 11-13-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ron, is your extension cord long enough to power your RV to the RALLY? Won't want you to get to the Indiana state line and have the cord yanked out of the outlet. It isn't legal for another Barth to hook on and tow you. "THAT'S A SICK BIRD" You know an ill eagle.

posted Hide Post
Naw, the cord has ben superceeded. I use the generator with a back-feed through my inverter, the DVD player and then directly to the rear axle via a counter-rotating pully setup. Lose a lot of efficiency going through the DVD but if I pypass it, I cannot watch movies while I drive.

Y'all keep talkin about all that good food at the rally and I may just have to come up there and show you how a redneck can eat. I ain't so shur about them big crawfish though. Looked "lobster" up on the internet and by golly, that definately ain't no trotline bait! He could catch his own catfish!