Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    House battery questions
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

House battery questions
 Login now/Join our community

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted
My coach has a 10" x 20" AGM house battery that was in the coach when I bought it about 6 years ago. While doing some fridge diagnostics I realized the battery was dead so I charged it up to 12.8. After sitting over night it was down to 10.8. I recharged it and disconnected it to see if the coach was drawing it down. This morning it's back down to 10.7, so I figure it's shot. It's sealed so there is no maintenance so is there anything else I could do to bring it back or do I have to buy a new battery?
2. While checking other things I started the engine and it doesn't appear the alternator is charging this battery at all. When the coach is plugged in this battery is getting a minimal charge so I assume the inverter is working properly. Is the E Start a conduit to charge this battery while driving? And should it even need it for 6 or 8 hours on the road between hookups if it is just running the fridge board?
There is a solenoid in the battery compartment that just for kicks I checked and it read something weird like 3.7.
I'm looking at a new one from Amazon that is the same size 200 amp white AGM.
The good news is I don't need a new fridge like I thought. It just wasn't working on the road because it didn't have 12v going to the board. Again, should the house battery be receiving a charge from the alternator while driving down the road? Some things for you smarter guys to ponder.
https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-...mcx_mr_hp_atf_m&th=1

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3479 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Danny smarter is a subjective term.

I am surprised you had that battery. What a bear to handle at 128 pounds. Bad back says no for me. Most had standard lead acid and a pair of the 100AH. Even those are heavy. I have had AGM batteries for years. I hate having to maintain lead acid. I just put my trolling batteries in my coach for chassis. I will put Lithium in the boat in spring.
I run lithium as house in the Coach with solar.

That was just some background. I agree your assessment of battery being shot. Morris had a lead acid the size of yours. I made a ramp to slide it out.

Some folks have an isolator to charge the house from the alternator. None of mine have had. So I’ll let someone else weigh in on that. That battery should definitely have no issues running your loads during travel. Especially if you are not running any 110 loads on an inverter.

E start? Not familiar with that? Solenoid 3.7? I carry extras along. If you search the site you will see some good info. I’m one that hates to unexpectedly have to switch out things. I have on my list to change out the ones I have not with replacements and keep the removed ones for emergency. I have one that is on the frame by the engine. Not a friendly spot to fix on the side of the road.

Be careful wrestling the old battery out.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I would agree the battery is probably toast. I still have wet cell lead acid. Two 31s for start, a 4D and 31 deep cycle for coach. My coach batteries do not charge while running. I have a couple small solar panels attached to the coach batteries. I have gone several days without trouble.

As for battery maintenance, even the wet cells have been hands off. I have a 60A Progressive Dynamics convertor. It is plugged in all the time. The batteries are aways fully charged and I never have to add water. There is a TriklStart unit that charges the start batts from the coach batts, once they are topped off. I may consider AGM next time around but they are all good now.

My Regal had a big relay in the battery area. It was set up to combine coach and start batteries for starting if needed. It could also parallel them for charging, I suppose. Mine a had a momentary switch for the relay, on the panel.

Danny, this winter has been cloudy, cool and windy! We were waiting for a beach day but not so much. We will see you soon one way or another.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5177 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, pretty much what I figured. Steve, hunker down for this afternoons blow! I think you might get a taste of what a hurricane is like, only this won't last 5 or 6 hours.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3479 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of billyt53
posted Hide Post
Danny, you may try to Equalize the battery, AGM’s are equalized at a much lower voltage than wet cells, I believe 14.8 volts. Check with the battery manufacturer. This function is usually performed by an inverter/charger, if you do not have one, you will need a very accurate charger to accomplish this. Charge at that voltage for 8-hours. I was able to revive one of my Lifeline 8-D’s like this.

The E-start is a battery booster switch that uses the house battery to jumpstart the chassis (cranking) battery, not the other way around as the solenoid is powered by the house battery. This solenoid is an intermittent duty device. To tie batteries together you would need a 100-amp continuous duty solenoid and a means to control it. It is much simpler to install a Renogy DC-DC charger for charging while driving.

Good luck!
Billy T

Billy & Helen Thibodeaux

Retired from Billy Thibodeaux's Premiere RV, Inc. Scott, LA 70583 I-10 Exit 97
The Farm is near Duson, LA I-10 Exit 92 then N 1 mile on right
Three Full 50 Amp RV Hookups !
billynhelen@me.com
Data Tag: 9404-3908-36XI-2C
1994 Sovereign 36' Widebody on Spartan IC (Mountain Master Lite) Chassis.