Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Kohler propane generator shuts down
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Kohler propane generator shuts down
 Login now/Join our community

posted
The last several CA trips out to to the desert (Sept.-Nov.) our Kohler 7kw propane generator in the evening shuts off after about an hour of use. After I let it sit for about 10 minutes it starts up and runs fine again. Propane tank is 1/2 full. Small TV load. The only variable I can think of is that it starts to get really cold outside (30-40degrees)during the time I am using it. I've never had this problem on warmer days. Anybody have any similar problems or solutions?

------------------
Larry and Heidi from CA

Posts: 199 | Location: Costa Mesa, CA 92626 USA | Member Since: 01-05-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Sounds like carburetor ice, all right. Close the cowl flaps a little.

But seriously, perhaps restricting the cooling air inlet could tell you something. If you establish a base line operating temp, you will know how much to restrict. Got a CHT gage from all those motorcycles? Can you borrow an infra red remote thermometer?

I had a dune buggy with a center mounted plenum on six looooong runners, and had to warm it with engine oil to get it to behave on cold desert mornings.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I figured Bill would have the answer to my desert illness. I think I can borrow a infrared temp guage from my engineer brother in law. He too suspected an icing problem. Hey Bill, what temperature did you guys get in El Segundo yesterday? It must have been 80 in Orange County...he he

------------------
Larry and Heidi from CA

Posts: 199 | Location: Costa Mesa, CA 92626 USA | Member Since: 01-05-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
Only 78 in Studio City. Winter in Los Angeles is H--l. I don't know how I'm going to get any work done on the Barth.

Dave, it was also 78 in Ventura yesterday, light offshore. Strong Santa Ana winds in some areas.

The evenigs are cool, down to the high 40s in Studio City, it does take a while to warm up in the morning.

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
20 something, glare ice everywhere, almost fell on my b*tt several times, almost slid off of the road. 78 and Santa Ana's sound like heaven to me.... I'll dream of it tonight..

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/08
Picture of Eric Herrle
posted Hide Post
I concur with Bill. So whats new? There is a switch on the front of the unit that reads winter/summer. Flip the switch. It adjusts the carb. inlet temp.

Posts: 216 | Location: Kailua Kona, HI & E. Waterboro, ME | Member Since: 06-27-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eric:
There is a switch on the front of the unit that reads winter/summer. Flip the switch. It adjusts the carb. inlet temp.

Eric, howzzat work? My Kohler gasser doesn't have that, but is fine down into the 20's.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/08
Picture of Eric Herrle
posted Hide Post
Well...Thats a good question. I've never taken mine apart to see whats inside, I've just assumed that it's a low tech carburetor heat control. You now divert the intake air over the heat exchanger type of thing. If the OAT comes like they say the next couple of days I'll pull the cover off mine and report back. It was a bomy -5 here this morning.

Posts: 216 | Location: Kailua Kona, HI & E. Waterboro, ME | Member Since: 06-27-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the gas Kohlers that I have had, you can spin the plastic air cleaner housing so the opening draws hot air off of the exhaust manifold in the winter, and can then be spun in the other direction during the rest of the year to get ambient temperature air from grill on the generator box door. The air cleaner cover even has an arrow to show you the direction to spin the housing in the winter. I'm not if the propane gen sets have the same type of air cleaner set up.

Posts: 43 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Member Since: 11-16-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post