Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Air bags loosing air
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Air bags loosing air
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I have a 1991 Barth Regal that is in superb condition. The problem that I'm having is with the airbag suspension. When I purchased the coach, the air horns did not work. Then one day, for reasons unknown, they started working again. Just recently, I had used the airhorn, and it just kept on blowing even after I released the horn button till it eventually ran out of air. The horns haven't work since, and ever since then, my compressor for my airbags is working overtime to keep them inflated. I'm thinking that it could be a valve (solenoid) for my airhorns that has frozen in the open position, and causing the air to leak from the air system that also controls the airbags. I guess my question is... #1 am I on the right track, and if so #2..where would I locate this solenoid. I would appreciate any help I can get on this.
Thanks,
John Charles

Posts: 6 | Member Since: 06-12-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
The airbags & air horns on my '90 Regal are separate systems, each with its own compressor. I believe the air horns were delivered as a system with a compressor that operates from engine vacuum. You can get more info by doing a Barthmobile search for "air horns," & also by googling the Hadley website (presuming your horns are Hadleys, as most of them are).

My tag axle air suspension operates from a small 12v compressor mounted just inside the radiator compartment, accessible through the grille door, My system exhibited the same symptoms as yours, & it turned out to be a worn out compressor. I found a direct replacement on ebay.

There are also lots of joints in the air lines that could be leaking, or you could have a leak in an airbag.

If you find the airbag compressor, you can check the rest of the system by disconnecting the compressor output line, temporarily attaching a Schrader valve, & pressurizing the system from an outside source. If it holds pressure, your leak is in the compressor, or at the outlet you disconnected.

In my case, the internal check valve in the compressor was bad, & the compressor itself was weak from old age & wear. Thankfully, I didn't have to chase down every joint in the air lines.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
What is the design pressure - if known? One would hate to connect an outside source and blow things out... Eeker

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
My airbag compressor comes on at 20 psi, shuts off at 40 psi. I can set it lower than 40 by bleeding air from the dash controls.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
What is the design pressure - if known? One would hate to connect an outside source and blow things out... Eeker

The air bags are rated to at least 45 psi, but that overloads the axle. I blow mine up to 60 to get underneath to play. On bumps and dips the needle really goes high.

quote:
Originally posted by Olroy:
If you find the airbag compressor, you can check the rest of the system by disconnecting the compressor output line, temporarily attaching a Schrader valve, & pressurizing the system from an outside source.

I would suggest that everyone with a tag have this capability on the road in case of pump or belt failure. And a tire pump.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Re: El Segundo Bill's suggestion - After my compressor failed, I kept mine up just that way for several months while we were on the road, though I used a $6 swap meet 12v compressor.

Toyed briefly with the idea of mounting that one permanently, but finally decided that would be TOO tacky. A manual tire pump would have worked as well, & wouldn't be dependent on battery power.

It's always a good idea to take a belt & suspenders approach to field maintenance issues when relying on elderly mechanical devices.

posted Hide Post
SmilerFirst of all thank you for all your help. I found the source of my leak. The leak was coming from a faulty regulator valve. I have replaced it, and my airbags are back to working properly. I still have not figured out what to do about the air horns, but I'm sure I will once I have time to investigate the problem a little more closely. Thanks again to all of you. These forums are a superb source of information.

Posts: 6 | Member Since: 06-12-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post