Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Front wheels shake
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Front wheels shake
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
posted
While driving to our campsite in South Haven MI, I hit a section of very rough pavement with my left front tire. I was slowing down for a red light at a intersection, light turned green so I was going maybe 20 mph then hit the rough pavement and it set off a violent shake in the front end. My wheels and steering wheel started shaking which caused me to crap my pants well actually I just hit the brakes and pulled over to the side of the road.

The shaking quit when I hit my brakes and pulled over. I got out and checked my front end everything was still there. Nothing felt loose so I climbed back in and continued to campsite. Drove great like normal, I didn't feel any slop in the steering, the coach handles great drives like a giant Cadillac.

So I was really caught off guard when this happened. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Posts: 259 | Location: SouthWest MI | Member Since: 08-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Although chassis is very different, could be a problem my Breakaway developed -- loose attachment of steering gear to frame.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Whoa Nellie! Something got bouncing together... other than excessive play (which you checked for) it might be be an issue with shock absorbers. If they get worked hard multiple times they may foam inside and quit doing their shock thing.

Maybe some of the other P30 guys have found this?

I guess this rules out off-road racing in my Barth... darn.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5194 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Tom, Your pic makes me think you're of the Ford/John Deere/Oshkosh clan, in which case I'm clueless.
But if it's a P-30/32, I might first suspect a missing/worn-out steering damper.....basically a shock absorber mounted horizontally between steering gear and chassis. It's purpose is to dampen some of the
symptoms you experienced. We're curious as to your final solution - please post.

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
I have experienced this with both my '75 and '85 Barths (both p30 chassis) and it was bad tires one time and bent wheel the other.

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I'm with Steve on this......."Something got bouncing together."

I would thoroughly check the front end or any looseness. Lie down and observe while DW moves the wheel back and forth on concrete. (concrete provides more resistance than gravel)

There is a procedure for checking ball joints. I believe the GM manual is linked here somewhere. If not, holler, I can scan and send pages from my '84 shop manual.

Do you know what your front end alignment situation is? Lots of motor homes are set for potato chip truck specs. GM calls out special MH specs, which are mostly more caster. Be aware that the tilt of the frame rails affects caster. GM covers that. A Pee chassis really likes proper caster and level frame rails. Caster increases the natural trailing force to resist little impulses to go right or left. Sort of a geometric steering damper.

Your front wheels will respond to caster forces more willingly if the tires are at spec or slightly higher pressure. Have you weighed your front end and set tire pressures accordingly?

I like the Bilstein shocks and dampers. We regularly travel washboard to and from our place, and this has never happened. We also have an IPD heavier sway bar.

Having said all that, certain speeds on certain washboard will made some vehicles lose contact with the road. Our 4Runner will float a little sideways at a couple of spots on our road at certain speeds. I know one person who went off the road without excessive speed on washboard.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
The very first trip I took with my Commercial Conversion to Pocono I developed this same thing. As soon as I slowed down and stopped, it went away never to return. That was 2004...

It felt like my entire front end was falling out of the coach. I have felt this in other Ford Products I've own with the twin I beam suspension.

The front end of my coach is a Straight I-Beam setup. It's a severe steering oscillation condition. I know I remember seeing this on tv from the mid 80s - something like an investigate report or 60 minutes.

Here is a link to what we're talking about. At about the minute mark of the video, it should queue up there.

http://youtu.be/8EuQ6f8rgT4?t=1m1s

You'll see that after he hits a bump the front end shakes violently, then it'll go to an interior shot. Watch it a bit from both angles.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whoa Nellie is right, the video is spot on that is what my Barth did for a couple seconds and that was enough for me.

My coach is the Chevy P30. I haven't had a wheel alignment done so I don't know how the setup is. I really never suspected any issues because of the way the coach drives and handles. I run 80 psi in the front tires, the data tag says 60 psi I just figured 80 rolls better, most motorhome drivers tell me they run higher psi, they had 100 psi in them when I bought the Barth . I have front air bags which I inflate to 70 psi. Does anyone know what the airbag pressure should be? I was told to put enough air in to get a nice ride and not to go over 90 psi I've never seen an inflation chart tried to find one on the enternet.

I'm camping unntil Sunday and man we have gotten the rain all day long, a couple of badly needed inches. So when I get back home I will be throughly checking all the sugestions, I'm really thinking the steering damper is the issue makes a lot of sense. I could feel the wheel going back and forth while I was going over the rough pavement then it just started to go crazy. I didn't feel any damping of the steering wheel.

But anyway I'll check it all out, I have a trip coming up the end of the month into Labor day.

Ha ha what the heck it gives me an opportunity to work on the Barth.

You Guys are the greatest, Thanks

Posts: 259 | Location: SouthWest MI | Member Since: 08-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
About 25 years ago, my Cadillac started doing something similiar. It would start out smooth and then between 25mph and 32 mph it would shimmy so bad you'd think the front end was going to fall off. Above 32mph, it was smooth as silk. I remember taking off the front tires and rolling them down the sidewalk. One tire rolled perfectly and the other wobbled. I realized one had a slipped belt. Air had leaked through the innerliner and was between the belts creating a raised place or hump between the steel belts....new tires, no more problem.

I'd take off the tires and roll them on a flat surface and see if they roll straight. You'll spot a bad tire pretty fast.

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
This problem is not new. When Dodge was the main supplier of MH chassis it happened often. I beams have more of a problem than IFS although if you have a very heavy stabilizer bar it almost acts like an I beam.

Have it happen twice. 30 years or so ago on a Dodge chassis and again in the mid-90s with our bus. In both cases slow down, stop and then continue. So don't panic.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom & Loraine:
they had 100 psi in them when I bought the Barth

Check the wheels for max pressure. Usually on the inside under the dirt.

quote:
Does anyone know what the airbag pressure should be?

Nope. Every coach is different. Fully loaded, you should have 1 3/4 to 2 1/2 inches bump stop clearance. Sometimes this can not be achieved by simply adding air. If this is the case, jack the coach so the front wheel is unloaded and inflate the bag to its max pressure. Than release the jack and deflate the bag until the bump stop clearance is in that range.

quote:
I'm really thinking the steering damper is the issue.

A shimmy damper can keep worn steering parts from being so noticeable, so a new steering damper might keep the looseness from being so apparent, but the looseness will still be there, waiting to upset you again. So, at least check it out or have it checked. Things like Safe T Steer of Steer Safe will also provide some centering force which will mask loose steering. All Pees did not have steering stabilizers OEM. My '85 27 footer did not, and did not even have attach points.

FWIW, there used to be a kit out to use double dampers, as well. One on top of the other.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Many things can cause this.

... add bad shock and/or poorly balanced wheel.

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.offroadtoybox.com/R...AlignmentProcess.pdf

While surfing the web I came across this pdf file that has a ton of info on the frontend of the P series motorhome chassie. It contains in detail the information that you guys are telling me.

Sorry about not getting a direct link to the pdf file, I tried copy and paste and moving the link directly with no luck.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/16
Picture of Kirk & Elise
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tom. That PDF on alignment seems very informative and I plan to share it with the guy who is going to be aligning our Regal.

Kirk

1989 22' Regal

Posts: 183 | Location: Northwestern PA | Member Since: 06-14-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
I'd check for Gremlins!

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post