Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Bad lift pump
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Bad lift pump
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted
I think the lift pump on my 94 Cummins 5.9 is going bad. My old mechanic said three years ago that he thought it was weak. Lately, I habe to crank the engine over 2-3 times to get it started. It runs great all day after that.

Is the lift pump in the gas tank on this engine? Should I have a mechanic do it or can I do it myself?

Thanks,
Rick

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Have you noticed that the engine idle is a bit low? I had the same issue about starting, I had to depress the throttle slightly to get it to fire, turned out it was the idle stop that was to low and over time it had worn to the point that the governor was in the fuel cutoff area. Since setting up the idle stop a bit, I don't have to depress the throttle at start and it fires right away.

If it is the "lift" pump it is located on the engine, passengers side, near the bell housing. There is no pump in the tank.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Hey Ed,

Thanks for the reply. I have not noticed that the engine is idling too slowly but I will try your suggestion tomorrow.

Rick

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To be clear,you don't have to floor it, just move it a bit off idle position.

The former owner complained about the starting issue when I bought my Barth, it finally got so bad that the engine would stall sometimes when shifting into reverse, until then I had no clue as to what ws causing the hard starting issues. Hope yours is as simple as mine. It was not easy to adjust, idle stop is hard to get to with all the throttle linkages etc.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard_Muise:
Should I have a mechanic do it or can I do it myself?
The lift pump is easy to access and you should be able to do this one yourself.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Hey Bill,

I did what Ed suggested and the engine started almost instantly. I hope that means that the lift pump is OK. Now that this is under control, do you have any advice on my post about changing the heater core? It look like it's impossible to get at.

Looking forward to meeting you at Goodwin's Barth gathering.

Rick

Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Hey Ed,

I started it twice doing what you suggested and it started almost instantly. It idles around 500 rpm in neutral. Does that sound ok?

Thanks for your help.

Rick

posted Hide Post
No, 500 RPM is to low. It should be around 700 RPM at idle when hot in neutral. I got mine just a bit high at 800 RPM but it is ok as it is coming down abit after I set it. I have to be careful on mine because with the MD3060 transmission, if the idle is to high, it will not shift into gear.

Of course you do not have to reset the idle, just remember to depress the throttle slightly at start-up, BUT eventually, you may have the same problem stalling the engine when shifting into gear or changing from forward to reverse gears.

Also if to high, you will require a bit more brake pressure at a light in gear.

The idle stop screw will only require a 1/4 to 1/2 turn to bring up, doesn't take much.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Frank Strong
posted Hide Post
Just a word of warning about the lift pump on the 5.9 Cummins, check the pressure at the filter case. It should be about 10-15 pounds at idle.
My son just bought a 1999 Dodge P/U with the 5.9 and they have a lot of failures, according to the forums. A weak lift pump will lead to injector pump failure ($1000 to $1500). He installed a pump which was mounted off the engine as recommended by the forums for about $200. The lift pump on the P/U was only about one year old and only held about 4-5 lbs at idle.
This is a long long story and maybe it only applies to P/U's but I thought all you RV owners should be aware.

Frank Strong
1994 Regency 34ft
300 HP Cummins, 6 spd Allison
Spartan MM Chassis

Posts: 125 | Location: Walthall, MS/Ocoee, FL (Orlando area) | Member Since: 03-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post