Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    92 Breakaway fuel tank question .....again!
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

92 Breakaway fuel tank question .....again!
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Some of you may recall discussions about my Breakaway with a 60 gal. fuel tank that will only accept 40 gallons due to a fuel venting design flaw. I've been told from other breakaway owners I can stand at the pump for an additional 20 minutes and "trickle" in a few more gallons. So when Diesel prices started to climb here in CA I thought to myself, "I better try and fill this tank as full as possible. So I squeezed 43 gal.s in two weeks ago. Today I noticed a LARGE 4x5' wet diesel spot under the coach. Crawling under the coach I see a slow 1 drip every 2 seconds coming from the filler neck coupler junction below. Fuel is coming from the top of the tank and has saturated the pass. side of the tank. It's hard to see where the fuel is coming from. I looked in the filler neck and can see fuel. So I run the coach for an hour in the driveway and the fuel is still full to the neck. It was 80 degrees today here in Costa Mesa. I'm thinking of siphoning 5 gal.s out tomorrow and checking again for leaks. Does anyone have a theory on whats going on? Has anyone dropped there tank and solved this filling,capacity,venting problem? Thanks for letting ME vent...

Posts: 199 | Location: Costa Mesa, CA 92626 USA | Member Since: 01-05-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After reading what I wrote I should add that it appears fuel is leaking or overflowing? from several different areas of the tank. Also does anyone have any suggestions on how to clean a large diesel fuel spill from a concrete driveway?

Posts: 199 | Location: Costa Mesa, CA 92626 USA | Member Since: 01-05-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
My new (for us) '90 Regal has a leak in the fuel filler hose where it enters the tank. If I fill it above 3/4, it drips, and stinks up the rear of the coach inside.

After $60.00 worth of investigation, a service center said the tank was too close to the frame rail to reach the hose junction from underneath. They couldn't drop the tank without cutting off the hose, and how could they reassemble it afterwards?

I tried to reach it from above by cutting a hole in the floor. Structural members were partially in the way, and I still couldn't get to the hose clamp anyway.

I did discover the filler hose comes through a big ugly hole cut through the side of the black water holding tank compartment., above the holding tank. I'll have to cut the bottom out of the holding tank compartment to remove the holding tank in order to gain access to the leak. Then the fix should be fairly simple (in theory at least).

The rig wasn't built with any idea that this work might ever be necessary. Barths are nice, but they ain't perfect, and this isn't the first example I've found of poor design, or sloppy workmanship.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Re: Diesel spill - maybe its time to rent, or invest in a pressure washer and some heavy duty detergent designed for this purpose.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Hopefuly, I've got it all with this one. Odds are you have a single leak that runs down the side of the fuel tank, and spreads along the bottom to drip from more than one place. The filler hose is the most likely culprit.

1st month member
posted Hide Post
I use Super Clean by Castrol a lot for cleaning up oil spills. You can buy it at Wal-Mart in the Automotive section.

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a similar experience with a mysterious leak on our 94 Breakaway. On our setup there is a long flex hose from the filler door/cap assy. to a fitting on the side of the fuel tank near the center of the rig. This hose had a sag in it that allowed trapped fuel to stand in the hose. This fuel eventually permeated the hose and created a puddle under the coach. A quick temporary fix (which may become permanent) was to lift the sag in the hose with a heavy bungee cord. This allowed the trapped fuel to drain into the tank and eliminated the leak. It might be worth a try.
Stu Allen

Posts: 52 | Location: Staunton VA | Member Since: 01-27-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All great suggestions. Stu I think I have a similar problem with my filler hose too. I like the bungy cord idea. I don't like Mickey mousing anything but it sounds like a perfect repair idea. Stu, Do you have trouble getting more than 40 gal.s of fuel into your 60 gal. tank? I took my Barth for a 50 mile drive(I figure I burned 5 gal.s)and The leak has stopped completely.I couldn't find the Castrol driveway cleaner and settled for a powdered "Gunk" product. I think it's the same powder (turns green when wet) that I've used for years when I used to work for auto garages. It worked OK. So I guess I just won't put more than 40 gal.s of fuel in this coach unless Olroy swings by and fixes this for me.

The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
For some reason, as I read the last post, Buddy Holly popped into my mind singing, "That'll Be The Day." Then, in my mind, the old Italian lady who lived next door when I was a kid, looked over the fence, snorted, and said, "fette cienza." She always claimed to be speaking English, not Italian

The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
P.S. - Forgot to add the laughing face to the last one.

posted Hide Post
On a recent trip I put 59.5 gal. in the tank when it registered 1/4 full so I'm assuming that our tank is 80 gal. That fill was using the slow small truck pump nozzle (wide-open) and it filled fine. I've not tried the fast big-rig nozzle on this unit yet.
I should clarify that the bungee cord I used was one of the heavy truck tarp tie-downs that are about 1" wide of black rubber. You see them littering the highways on big truck routes. I was able to hook the ends into a access hole in the frame above the hose sag.
Stu

Posts: 52 | Location: Staunton VA | Member Since: 01-27-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post