Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Best Generator
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Best Generator
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
The Onan(gas powered)in our 85 Regal is in need of at least a major tuneup, and we're wondering if it's the time to buy a new one. So the question for the 'panel' is, "What's the best Generator out there?". It would have to be quiet, run two air conditioners at the same time, and while we're at it, should we add an inverter to our converter set up?
Humbo

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
"What's the best Generator out there?". It would have to be quiet, run two air conditioners at the same time,

My preference is the Honda EV6100. Hollywood loves them for location electricity. Quiet and durable.

quote:
and while we're at it, should we add an inverter to our converter set up?
Humbo

Every RV needs some kind of inverter, just to charge laptops, shavers, toothbrushes, tools etc. A little bigger one runs our coffee grinder. And, with a strong enough battery bank, an inverter capable of running a microwave is nice for when you don't want to or are forbidden to run the genset. And then, there is a household fridge, as several Barthers use.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I second the Honda EV-x010 (4KW or 6KW). I replaced the Kohler LPG genset with the EV-4010 - very pleased.

I have a Xantrex ProSine inverter to run the TV/Satellite and a second (modified sine) to charge the laptop.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of madrone
posted Hide Post
I have a Honda EV4010, love it!

Posts: 69 | Location: Texas | Member Since: 11-26-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve Castner
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have a Xantrex ProSine inverter to run the TV/Satellite and a second (modified sine) to charge the laptop.

Where are your inverters mounted? What sort of transfer switches to you have? Are they auto or manual?

1989 Regal 34’
Side entry, floor plan A
Spartan chassis
Cummins 6CTA – 8.3 L with 240 HP
Cummins pusher
Allison transmission MT 643
Onan generator
8808-3555-34RDS-A

Posts: 83 | Location: Cedarburg, WI | Member Since: 09-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Castner:
Where are your inverters mounted? What sort of transfer switches to you have? Are they auto or manual?
No for the faint of heart - not for the ones who want things done 100% right - but I'll tell you my story.

I've got my inverter mounted in the storage box closest to the batteries.

As you can tell, I have 2 extension cords plugged into the inverter.

The cords go from the inverter to a manual transfer switch.

When on inverter power there are things you can't use. As an example: You wouldn't want to run your a/c units like this.

These images were taken when I had a triplite 1800 - Now I have a XANTREX PROWATT SW2000 <> 2000W Pure Sinewave Inverter Model 806-1220 for 359.25 on Ebay.

quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
And then, there is a household fridge, as several Barthers use.
I have a household fridge in my Barth - here is a writeup I did

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Back to your generator. If all it needs is a good tune up that is what I would do. It all becomes a matter of economics.

I have a Honda 4010 in our Breakaway. Nice genset, but if were to change it would be to a diesel unit.

I assume you have the onan emerld. If you could find an Onan marque you would really be happy as it is QUITE.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
I agree with Gary, tune-up is the best usually. I have a 1967 6.5 Kohler on the boat. It was an original option and now has over 1500hrs and no bad habits. It is an 1800 rpm engine so it is not too noisy but does take up a lot more space than would the equivalent 3600 rpm version.
My inverter is the older Heart inverter/charger so it has an internal switch.

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Castner:
quote:

The 600W ProSine is in the center console on the floor. The prior owner had installed a standard duplex receptacle with a pigtail to plug into the inverter. However, newer inverters have electronic power switches, so I plug in directly. Because the wiring scheme for the '94 28' Breakaway was redone (all the terminals and relays are now inside), there's 12VDC 80A from the house batteries available in the dash.

The mod-sine is on the floor under the reefer and in front of the furnace. The prior owner had wired a 50A circuit for an inverter for the reefer for running electric underway. Since this reefer is 3-way, that inverter is just used for the laptop when dry camping.

Both are manually used and controlled. I plug whatever needs power into the inverters, and turn them on.

quote:
Back to your generator. If all it needs is a good tune up that is what I would do. It all becomes a matter of economics.

I agree. I replaced the Kohler because it was noisy and inefficient (the Honda EV-4010 has 35% the fuel consumption [in GPH] of the LPG Kohler. While the former is 3600 RPM, the noise is both lower and less irritating than the 1800 RPM Kohler).

It's doubtful your genset is ready for the boneyard - Onans are internally robust, but the electronics can be frail, and most don't get enough use to avoid an occasional carburetor cleaning nd tuneup.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
The Onan(gas powered)in our 85 Regal is in need of at least a major tuneup, and we're wondering if it's the time to buy a new one.

A lot of that depends on the honesty and competency of the place doing the work. I would check out a place's reputation carefully.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post