Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    LP furnaces
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

LP furnaces
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Cool this morning so I turn on the LP. Our 91 Gillig 38' has three furnaces, two under closets in hall bath area and one under couch. I flipped the toggle outside switch, turned on LP detector at foot of door way. It took a couple throws of same before it quit beeping and then started flashing its lite. I have three thermostats and I turned one to highest heat setting, and switch bottom thermostat lever switch to the right. Shortly I had blower action, and slowly heat started flowing. I check and at the register and it reached 105 plus degrees. The second hall furnace when I did the same, came on in a few seconds but no warm heat. Then I noticed the first unit was not blowing as hard, and heat much cooler. It is warm but not as warm. My LP tank read-out shows a bright EMPTY lite, and a DIMMER 1/4 lite. Does this mean I am somewhere between E AND 1/4 full, and would such cause the results mentioned above? Thank you so much for hearing me out. Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
You could confirm this by running a stove burner at the same time.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bill, good common sense test, but when I turn on Wedgewood control knob nothing happens. I pushed down, turn counter clock, and nothing. I traced the LP copper line, and find no manual shut off valve??? Does the gas flow when I flip outside toggle switch, and turn on LP detector? Found no spark to ignite button either so assume it is automatic when knob is down and turned. The one furnace was putting out heat when I tried to ignite so LP pressure or level must be low???? Anything else I need to know or do. I am new, going on first trip Wed. a.m. too wondering how much does LP cost? Just wonder. Thank you Bill or anyone who might have some thoughts. Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Is there a mechanical gauge on your propane tank? Sounds like you could be running out. Does the fridge have a flame?

As for your stove, our Magic Chef does not have a built in sparker. Don't know about Wedgewood.

Propane is a bit more than gas. Prices vary wildly. Without using the furnace, it lasts a long time.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Dale, on mine when the 1/3 is blinking I am almost out. When just the E is on I am out.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09

Picture of garryp
posted Hide Post
Dale, this probably has nothing to do with your heaters, but for the record:

My Barth has 3 heaters, one main propane heater under the wardrobe/closet, which is the main house furnace.

It also appears to have a engine-coolant heater at the same location, along with an engine-coolant heater under the sofa. The fan on the latter two heaters is on the dash, and has only hi/lo, with no thermostat.

This was driving me nuts until I figured it out.

Posts: 209 | Location: AZ | Member Since: 09-01-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all....I will fill tank with LP and see what happens. My under couch heater is LP and not water heated from engine. The heater that worked today is the first in the line from the tank so maybe it was taking it all. I will see, and if not will ask for help. Thanks. Dale

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
This was mentioned in this thread, but not explained, and I have a question about it.
Does anyone know what the switch in the propane fill area is for? Mine is a three position switch, ON OFF ON. I can hear what sounds like valves operating when I cycle it, but have no idea what this switch is for. Tank fills ok from propane dealer with switch off. Appliances work fine inside with the propane leak detector near door on. (Chirps for about 30 seconds when turning on, then quiets down and flashes steadily - indicating all is well and gas is on - I guess)

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post