Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Quadrajet leaking
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Quadrajet leaking
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Bill, where would one buy the aluminum washers you mentioned?
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
Bill, where would one buy the aluminum washers you mentioned?
Jim

HERE is a little info on them. No source, but a nice image.

We had them in stock at the airline, but I bought my own at a place at the Torrance airport called Nagel's. No idea if they are still in business.

Try:
http://secoseals.com
http://delaerospace.com
http://flaretite.com

Seco and Del both uses metal conical seals. Flaretite however went one step further and coated their seals with baked-in Loctite sealant.

I also recall seeing them advertised in a small ad in the back of one of the aviation maintenance trade journals. I believe the company was in Ventura or Oxnard, CA. Being retired, I no longer receive any trade journals, but if you know an aircraft maintenance person, you might ask them.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Go to Summit or Jegs and enter "Earl's sealing washers". They come in sizes for your tubing. You must be using 37 degree flares as they do not fit the 45 degree flares used on some fittings.You can use Prussian Blue to seat the flare fitting to finger tight and that will show you the seating area. Maybe someone can tell if the Rochester Qjet Uses 37 degree flares.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
My son-in-law pointed out that the fuel tube must be lined up properly to begin with or the flange will not seat properly. When I took it apart, the fuel tube was nowhere near in alignment with the hole. So, he will do that for me when he gets home from flying this week. He used to build Jeeps and had all the normal problems with this set up.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
My son-in-law pointed out that the fuel tube must be lined up properly to begin with or the flange will not seat properly.

He is absolutely right on that. Proper alignment also prevents cross-threading. I like to seat the flare (observing the concentricity of the back of the nut on the tube) and be sure the nut starts easily and goes two or three threads without a wrench.

quote:
When I took it apart, the fuel tube was nowhere near in alignment with the hole.

OK............sounds like a good finding.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Something else just bubbled up in the primordial ooze of my memory............

When straightening the end of a flared line, do not grasp the line close to the end or by the nut. Instead, insert a fairly tight-fitting round piece of metal inside the first inch or two. You will have better leverage, the tube will stay round and you will not deform the flare.

Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
My son-in-law came home this week and with the muscles of a 44 year old, was able to attach the fuel tube to the carb without leaks. He had some experience with the set up and did a little straightening of the fuel tube so that it aligned correctly. But I will tell you, he put a lot of muscle into it. My guess is that it would have been somewhere north of 50 foot pounds.
Will still convert the system to A N fittings eventually. Quadrajets Parts makes a fitting that allows you to keep the filter in the carb and directly attach the A N fittings as needed. Cost of the change will be about $50 which will include the heat shielding on the rubber hose. Thanks for all the help on this problem.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
He had some experience with the set up and did a little straightening of the fuel tube so that it aligned correctly.

Sounds like your troubles are over.

quote:
Will still convert the system to A N fittings eventually. .

Sounds like your troubles are already over.

Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Parts on hand for the next time--just in case.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
If I were to convert to AN, I would use the most heat resistant line available and run it down the front of the engine (by way of a 90 deg elbow)to avoid the heat soak of being above the manifold and (God Forbid) the possibility of a leak dripping on a hot manifold.

Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
My thinking, too, Bill. The line I have is rated @302 degrees F, and with the heat shield will be close to 500. Would run it in the same path that the solid one is. Hope I won't have to do it.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Fireshield or similar also gives some chafing protection, which could be valuable up front.

The steel OEM line can also chafe, especially if it was installed with all the accessories in place. sometimes a clamp or two gets left off. Good to check it now and then.