Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    mystery switch revisited
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

mystery switch revisited
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted
Now that we have the Regency in the driveway we have plenty of things to puzzle out.
Would someone identify the purpose of a Hi-Lo rocker switch found on the subconsole to the right of the driver? It is just below the radio and is labeled "Aux Heater"
On the right side of main dash just left of the Aux Start switch is another one that says On - Off and is labeled "TEST". Can't tell what it tests!
Thanks
Don

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
The "aux heater" switch probably turns on the blower for your "motor aided" heater in the back - plumbed into the cooling system to provide engine heat in the rear of the coach. Someone else will have to advise on the "test" switch.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Roy. I didn't know we had a motor aided heater. So this is likely the blower fan for it since it has Hi and Lo positions? Is there an ON-Off switch too somewhere like the dash heater that controls coolant flow or is it always "on"?
I found the function of the "TEST" switch, it tests that all the dash warning lights are working properly. Only works with the ignition in the ON position. Fooled me for a bit.
Wish we had more time to play with all this but next weekend we have an engagement party for our daughter's August wedding here, and I haven't filled the water tanks for the first time yet. Or fired up the water heater! And the Barth is going to be a "guest house" for this event. There will likely be more questions.
Thanks again.
Don
quote:
Originally posted by olroy:
The "aux heater" switch probably turns on the blower for your "motor aided" heater in the back - plumbed into the cooling system to provide engine heat in the rear of the coach. Someone else will have to advise on the "test" switch.

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Hey Don, good luck with the guest house break-in. To throw in a reminder, if you have roof air, be sure to pull the filters, usually very easy to access, and clean them. This is one of the most common causes of roof airs not blowing cold, and one of the easiest to fix.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Danny and everyone for there insight into Barth ownership, I've been scouring the archives for answers and have found quite a few on my own.
Thanks to Bill G I found out that the mystery switch over the door with the red warning light was for the water compartment heater when on shore power. Even the people we bought the coach from didn't know what it was!
I have no idea how the NoBi security system works but when I turned the key to set it there was a wail from the siren so i turned the key again and it stopped. Phew! The 2 panic buttons don't seem to do anything. Two of the contacts are cracked or broken and one is missing on the storage compartment doors, so that may be putting the whole system out of commission?
There is supposed to be a fuse and a controlbox for the system. Anyone know where to look??
The adventure continues!
Don

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I would suspect the water compartment heater is 12VDC (mine is) - that way you can keep the FW tank from freezing when travelling.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Our breakway has 120vac heating pad on the water tank plus the gray and back tanks.

So each may be different.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Yep - no two Barths are the same...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post