Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Let's Talk Terlits...
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Let's Talk Terlits...
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted
Well, the 28 year old AquaMagic II is out and sitting in the plastics recycle tub, carpet out, floor flashed & tiled - It's time for a replacement toilet.

For an entry-level coach like mine, logic says to install the AquaMagic V, the low-end industry standard. But before I order, I'd like to hear some feedback on alternatives.

1. Thetford vs. SeaLand vs. LaToilette
(Oh NO.... Not the French again!)

2. China vs. polymer bowls

3. Hand vs. foot pedal operation

4. Options like hand sprayer attachment and riser platforms....etc. etc.

RV bolt-down toilets seem to range from about $75.00 to over $500.00, so there must be some issues that need consideration......

I know you guys are flush with ideas, observations & opinions, so how 'bout some potty talk? Frowner

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Being blessed with abundant adipose area abaft, I like our Bravura foot flush. I would certainly recommend you try one.

It has a very good flushing action and is easy to maintain. However, being boondockers exclusively, we do not have it connected to the water supply. We use a kitchen sprayer with a conical brass nozzle on the end. It is powerful enough to clean the bowl with an incredibly small amount of water.

The foot flush offers some advantages over a hand flush, but decorum forbids its discussion on such a genteel forum as this.

Oh, yeah. Be sure the sprayer hose does not reach the door or window if little boys use your bathroom.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
As I get older I have substantially increase assets, if you know what I mean....I know you do.

I will be looking for a terlet with a larger and higher seat to accomidate my "weighty" position in life.

Any suggestion along those lines and will the throne fit the same hole...spot??

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Dave, it appears that some of the higher-end, china bowl units are touted as being able to use standard residential seats & lids...I'd guess that equates to more "bearing surface".

There's also a polymer floor base available, claiming to be universal fit, that raises the whole assembly up 2-1/2" or so, closer to residential parameters......

...And I know exactly what you mean about "adjusting" to the RV bathroom environment as we get older....As a matter of fact, my kids have told me that my ability or inability to properly use the facilities will be a benchmark for determining just when they take my Barth keys away from me and make their first contact with the intake counselor at Happy Acres.......So I wanna get this new toilet thing right the first time...the buzzards are circling......

billh, your nozzle idea is dine-o-mite..Thanks!

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I should also add that we rotated our Bravura a little to allow a little more room. I am also going to remove our vanity and make a new, smaller one with a smaller sink with a high bar-type faucet spout, but using the original wood and doors. We need only enough sink for tooth brushing or hand washing.

If that does not make our Lilliputian-sized powder room at least tolerable, I will have to move the toilet a little. Heck, I'm just itchin' to drop that tank and turn it around, anyway. Right now I even have to be careful how much body English I use when brushing my teeth or I will pop the door open.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
"Dave, it appears that some of the higher-end, china bowl units..."

If this "higher end" unit is not elevated enough: we installed one of the plastic bases which raised the entire unit about 2". It was easy to install and looks much like the commode (my sainted mother insisted "toilet" was an act, not a device).

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
My personal experience; My original Thetford failed once due to corroded valve, I fixed it and it worked for another year or so. When I ripped up the old floor Suzy demanded an upgrade and I went with the Thetford tall with hand actuation. This unit works very well even when under the 12 v. pump. The circulation cleans the bowl much better than the old rinse system did. I paid 142 bucks at my local RV dealer. The old Thetfords used a 10-4 bolt pattern. while the new ones use a 9-3, so a change in attachment to the floor may be necessary. [These are clock references]

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I went through this on my SOB. I ordered a new Thetford, and discovered I'd have to replumb some, and as Danny mentioned, redo the mounting plate, so I sent it back and bought an overhasl kit for about $105.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill Stevson
posted Hide Post
As per Bill H's advice I replaced ours with the Bravura last year and am very happy with it. It was an easy diy job and it works and looks great.
It's on sale here: http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-toilets-tanks/83-1879.htm

Bill & Diane
1973 25'

Posts: 113 | Location: Macks Creek, MO | Member Since: 11-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of beeoh
posted Hide Post
sure would like to know where you can buy the plastic bases to raise toilet height...never seen them, thanks bob

Bob and Jan Orr
Canadian Barth owners
94 30ft. Breakaway/3116 Cat/ Allison 5 speed/ Gillig

Posts: 196 | Location: Qualicum Beach,Vancouver Island | Member Since: 06-20-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Last time i looked camping World had them. I bought one for my previous SOB from a local RV supply store.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
Here is the toilet riser at Camping World
Riser

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
The prices for the risers seem to get footballed all over.....My best price came from on-line store I located by entering "RV toilets" in Froogle...Remember to specify color.

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
Say Dave,
Didn't you have an extra one that hooked on the Draw bar. seems i remmember you wern't using it anymore! Smiler

mike foster
83-35' regency 8.2 detroit towing 98 cherokee classic 4x4

Posts: 149 | Location: earlham,iowa-usa | Member Since: 01-08-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Update: Based on recommendations here, I installed a new foot-pedal Thetford Bravura....

The bride likes it for its exterior design & lack of nooks & crannies....also installed the 2-1/2" riser under it - I think it'll make a comfortable difference.........

I like it for its ease of installation....the removable shroud makes access a piece of cake. (The old one required a socket, universal joint, long extension & ratchet to get at the floor bolts...couldn't find my universal joint, but did find my Saws-All - worked even better.)

Also tapped into faucet feed for hand hand rinser, al la billh...drilled counter top next to toilet for socket trim - looks good!

But, nuthins' ever easy, is it?.......

While rootin' around with the rear plumbing I discovered that the coach had been originally plumbed with Qest - one of the polybutylene systems from the '70's-'80's that cost Shell $950mil in a class-action suit over chlorine eroding the fittings. Apparantly, the front portion of the coach (easy part) had been redone in pvc by the previous owner, so I never really noticed the polyb in the bathroom.
Water stains indicate past/current failure of the polyb at just about every fitting. I'd imagine that some campgrounds with private water sources use the SWAG method of adding chlorine, so that may have accelerated it.....

For those with late '70's - early '80's coaches, you might want to take a look at your usually-hidden plumbing fittings...I think the older polyb systems might have been around for about a decade or so before they got pulled from the market.

Anyway, ANOTHER Barth rehab adventure begins...
(Hmmmm, I wonder if A.J. Foyt's '78 Newell used polyb?...might have to amend my bidding strategy...Smiler