Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Let's Talk Terlits...
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Let's Talk Terlits...
 Login now/Join our community

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
Update: I installed a new foot-pedal Thetford Bravura....also installed the 2-1/2" riser under it - I think it'll make a comfortable difference.........

Lee, did you buy the tall or short Bravura? Would you post a picture of how it looks on the riser? I've got such a bad knee that I am thinking in that direction.

quote:
Also tapped into faucet feed for hand hand rinser, al la billh...drilled counter top next to toilet for socket trim - looks good!

I put a valve in mine, so I can have just the toilet connected, just the sprayer or both.

We now use the sprayer exclusively, with no water going to the toilet. Not only for water conservation, but it just does a better job. I reduced the inner diameter of the nozzle outlet with brass model tubing for a little more velocity with my cheapie pump.

quote:
While rootin' around with the rear plumbing I discovered that the coach had been originally plumbed with Qest - one of the polybutylene systems from the '70's-'80's that cost Shell $950mil in a class-action suit over chlorine eroding the fittings. Apparantly, the front portion of the coach (easy part) had been redone in pvc by the previous owner, so I never really noticed the polyb in the bathroom.
Water stains indicate past/current failure of the polyb at just about every fitting. I'd imagine that some campgrounds with private water sources use the SWAG method of adding chlorine, so that may have accelerated it.....

For those with late '70's - early '80's coaches, you might want to take a look at your usually-hidden plumbing fittings...I think the older polyb systems might have been around for about a decade or so before they got pulled from the market.

I'm not sure whether your leaks were from the gray piping or the fittings. I even had my gray PB burst from too-hot water near the heater.
Frowner

I replaced all of my PB with PEX and used brass fittings and Oetiker clamps almost exclusively. I have the tool that I will loan out. Over the years, from sad experience, I have come to distrust plastic water fittings. I had failures on RVs that never saw chlorinated water (while I owned them, anyway). One went 20 years with no chlorinated water.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Bill, I'm between-cameras right now (they don't like dunking Frowner Should have another one shortly for a pic......

I got the high model.....With riser, it's kinda like the handicapped stall at the airport, but everything takes getting used to I guess....You will definately have MINIMUM knee flex! (If you're under 5'-7", you may even want to bring a Sear catalog along for a boost ......

For the plumbing rehab, I'll probably just stay with rigid pvc & glued-up fittings. It's goof-proof for me, worked well in my house addition since the '80's, and if I remember to regulate the city feeds and keep the psi in the 40's I shouldn't have any problems......My first couple feet of hot water feed is copper flex, so I think I'm covered there too........

Biggest access headache will probably be getting into bath/shower feed...Looks like I'll need to trash the OEM wall on the tub side. Fortunately, a new bath surround was somewhere on my agenda anyway......

Strangely, I seem to semi-enjoy all this grief...

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
If you're under 5'-7", you may even want to bring a Sears catalog along for a boost ......

We already have a Sears catalog in every John. Smiler

quote:
Biggest access headache will probably be getting into bath/shower feed...Looks like I'll need to trash the OEM wall on the tub side.

Yeah, mine, too. That is the only plumbing I didn't replace due to the necessary wall trashing. I wonder why those clever cabinet makers didn't make a removable panel for shower plumbing access. If I were sure how it was constructed, I would make the wall panel in the hall removable to get at the shower plumbing. Maybe use an Xacto razor saw and put it back in with magnetic latches or something.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post