Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    refer not working
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

refer not working
 Login now/Join our community

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted
Now I've done it. I pulled the refer out to work on it and replace the gas line to the heating element. I got the leaks stopped so at least Carol and I won't be turned into ashes. I replace the aluminum line with copper. I turned the unit on it's back to make sure the fitting were tight. When I tried to make it work again it won't cool down. I tried the electrical side of the unit and that doesn't work either. Someone suggested that I turn the unit upside down for a couple days and let the coolent run back down and try it again. Any other suggestions other that a new unit. My old Barth is like an old airplane I own. When do you stop putting money into it.

Posts: 207 | Location: Port Townsend ,Wash USA | Member Since: 11-21-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
This site may be of some help in getting to the diagnosis needed.

http://www.gasrefrigeration.net/faultdiagnosis.htm

Good luck!

------------------
89 Barth Regal 32
Runs like a Deere
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try your ref and check it while you are driving the Barth around.Sometime the ref get a vapor lock,and driving around with it on will unlock it.Hope this help:Jay

------------------
br2409

Posts: 61 | Location: Harriman,Tn.usa | Member Since: 09-22-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
How long are you allowing the unit to cool?

I was told that for an initial cool down, use gas because it is hotter (and therefore pulls more heat out of the box, which cools it fastest) and allow for 24 hours for it to come to temp.

Posts: 178 | Location: Lancaster, PA USA | Member Since: 07-30-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
"My old Barth is like an old airplane I own."

Whatcha got?

I tend to think of my Barth as a Spartan Executive.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dennis i would also check the exhust flue and burner to make sure rust is not plugging them. sometimes movement as you have done will knock down tiny pieces of such causing ignition problems. if you have ignition but no cooling then burping as you have stated might do the trick. most suggest rotating the unit one side at a time for about 15 minutes until you have made 2 complete rotations. then let set upright for a little while, then retry to ignite. do you smell any amonia comming from the unit? if so this indicates a leak and more serious problems. sometimes the circut board just goes which is another whole problem. are you sure 12 volt is hooked back up? breakers thrown?
just thoughts and ideas. good luck, these problems can get frusterating. as far as when we stop putting money into these units.
(when we sell them)!
mike

------------------
mike foster
83-35' regency 8.2 detroit towing 98 cherokee classic 4x4

Posts: 149 | Location: earlham,iowa-usa | Member Since: 01-08-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Old boats are defined as wood-lined holes in the water into which one continually throws money. Old airplanes are the airborne equivalent, as are old R.V.'s on the land.

Bill, your comparison of the Barth to a Spartan Executive, is apt. Big difference is, you can buy an old Barth for much less than its utility value. Price-wise, a Spartan compares more to a Duesenburg automobile, and neither has much utility, except to look at them, and protect them lovingly. Barth's are a helluva lot cheaper to keep running, too.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Not to digress from the Refer problem but how many know that the same folks that made this plane:

Made this Trailer:

the plane a Spartan Executive and the trailer a Spartan Mansion

Both made by

I am not a pilot and hate to fly but I love the art of the 40's and 50's and this company built some of the most extraordinary designs. Even the logo is a pure class act.

http://www.spartantrailer.com/history.html

------------------
Opportunity always knocks at the least opportune moment.

1985 28 foot Regal
Dave and Deb Bowers

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Well Dave, up until a week ago i would not have known the answer but then on one of the bus conversion boards someone posted a website for a company that does trailer restorations. They do really nice work ( bet it ain't cheap!!!) and if i ever win the lottery and need woodwork done i know where to go. The funny thing is that when i saw this site i knew where a Spartan trailer is sitting about a half mile away from here. I ended up taking pictures and sent them to the guy but haven't heard back from him. It is 45 ft. overall and is in fair shape but looks abandoned/neglected, was probably used as a summer home up here at one time. I am like you i prefer the styles from the 20's thru the 60's, must be why i have a 59 Ford pickup, a 62 Triumph TR-4 and a 68 MCI-5A bus!!! LOL!! A lot of the new stuff just doesn't interest me at all....it all looks the same and has no character or soul or whatever you want to call it. The website is www.vintage-vacations.com enjoy!

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
By the way i like BOTH of the planes in the picture!!!

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help. As we speak I'm doing the burping thing. As far as the airplane I own, it is a Aeronca 7AC Champ in orignal colors with the 65 Cont. engine. I have had it for years and like my Barth it is part of the family. One of those Sparten's would be nice. They are one of the prettiest airplanes in the sky or on the ground. My old Barth has already got its work cut out for it when my youngest son(34) gets it. I'm still keeping my eye out for a little larger Barth in good shape. I did buy some new oak hardwood for the floors for my Barth. Dennis

Posts: 207 | Location: Port Townsend ,Wash USA | Member Since: 11-21-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Shadowman, the 6 had lots of character, but were maintenance pigs. Not fun to work on. Required two GOOD pilots and a GOOD FE.

Plus, it wasn't a tail dragger.

Dennis, my last plane was a Luscombe. Had an 8a, but went to the 8E for the full electrical. Did you know you can bump your A65 up to 75 hp pretty easily? Believe just timing and exhaust valves.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
.."the 6 had lots of character"...as in DC-6?

Actually, the pic I'm looking at shows a Spartan and a L-1049 Lockheed Constellation..

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Geeze! One little slip and the whole world knows. Post in haste, repent in leisure. When I saw four engines and the single (or so I thought) vert stab, I thought it was a 6.

Heck, the hump back alone should have told me. The windows are wrong, engines are 3350s, and I never saw a 6 with the accursed de-icer boots. (don't get me started on tail de-icer heaters)

And to top it off, I am told by Dennis that my lowly gas Barth is not a suitable comparison to a Spartan Executive. Apparently, not even a Regency is worthy, only a Duesenberg. I passed up an SJ dual cowl in the 60's for 5G. Kick me.

posted Hide Post
I once owned a 1959 Tri-Champ wish I had it now.

Charles

Posts: 63 | Location: Winona Lake, IN | Member Since: 04-18-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post