Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Regency Won't Start: Now Stuck in REVERSE
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Regency Won't Start: Now Stuck in REVERSE
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09
Picture of Stratosurfer
posted
All,
Heading out to a ballgame and the coach wouldn't start last Saturday evening. NOTHING from ignition switch. Coach batts excellent, tried jumping from new house batts: NOTHING. On the electronic shifter I checked I was in NEUTRAL, I tried to shift around to see if a solenoid/relay would release and ended up stuck in REVERSE! Coach showed 50 PSI on air gauges. I verified the parking brake was set.
I went to the engine compartment and manually pulled the engine cutoff back and tried to start (has worked before I replaced the cutoff solenoid) and remembered I'm stuck in NEUTRAL. How do I manually (from under the coach?) shift back to NEUTRAL so I can start troubleshooting my relays?
Thanks

1990 Regency 32 Center Aisle Spartan Chassis CTA8.3 Cummins 240HP 4 spd Allison 7.5 Diesel Genset Pac-brake Prosine 2000 Mickey's on the Rear Toyos front

Posts: 131 | Location: Brady, The Republic of Texas | Member Since: 01-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stratosurfer:
...and remembered I'm stuck in NEUTRAL.
You mean reverse right?

I would hook up an air compressor to your tanks so you'll have enough air psi to release the shifter lockout.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Stratosurfer
posted Hide Post
Yes, stuck in REVERSE.
I would think 50 PSI would be enough to shift. No? Seems I've started and shifted with far lower PSI in the past. I was thinking the shifter is hung and related to some relay that wouldn't let the coach start. I can add air press easily enough.

1990 Regency 32 Center Aisle Spartan Chassis CTA8.3 Cummins 240HP 4 spd Allison 7.5 Diesel Genset Pac-brake Prosine 2000 Mickey's on the Rear Toyos front

Posts: 131 | Location: Brady, The Republic of Texas | Member Since: 01-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
I need 70psi to operate my shifter.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
Stratosurfer, I have had this happen to me once. I finally got under the coach and manually moved to shifter back to neutral. I believe that you move it from rear to front 2 clicks, from the best of my memory. If it is not, it is from the other direction. My coach will not crank if in any gear.
When this first happened, I had been under the coach doing something and I think I had rolled over and pushed it out of alignment. I called a friend about it when it would not start, and he said to try that because the start would not do nothing. Good luck. sky

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Stratosurfer
posted Hide Post
Sky,
Thanks, this was what I was needing. Specifically so I need to look to find the shifter mechanism on the transmission. I can always hear it engaging, but I've never crawled around belowdecks looking for it.

Picture of Stratosurfer
posted Hide Post
Here's where I am at this point:
Nothing to ignition, no solenoid clicking:nothing
I have:
Good BATS Coach and House
100PSI on air: in from electric air compressor
Transmission in NUETRAL: thanks for tips
I have pulled the 8.3's cutoff manually backward:
Air Horn will not sound
COACH WILL NOT CRANK: I have a solenoid/relay issue somewhere and not really sure where to start.
Any thoughts appreciated.
Thanks

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Send me a PM with your phone number and be prepared to go into this box with a test light. You'll need to give me a number that can make it out to your coach. I need to walk you through several tests, there's just too many different things that it could be.

It would help "a lot" if you could take a picture of the wiring inside this box and send it to me at bill_ny@barthmobile.com

Hopefully this image might help you out. It's from a Spartan Chassis but it is in a Breakaway. Pay attention to the relay in this image - check out each buss bar etc...

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
What a wonderful site/family this is.... I had to have Cloudy come over here and read Bill N.Y.'s last post.... Thank You Bill N.Y. you make this place happen!!!

Click for Saint Clair Shores, Michigan Forecast

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Check the remote start switch in the engine compartment. If the switch is not in front position nothing will work. If it is in rear then you can confirm by pushing the start button in the engine compartment and if it starts you have found the problem.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
After looking at these images, I am starting to agree with Lenny when he says...
quote:

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I don't have your phone number so we'll go this route first.

See the yellow line I have superimposed over the Red Wires? This is your Battery Hot wire and it first goes to that solenoid as a main junction point.

Make sure you have a GOOD GROUND for your test light.

Test to see if you have power to that wire end of the solenoid with the key off. Also let me know which "Buss Bar" (Highlighted in Blue) the cable goes to and if it has power there too.

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Picture of Stratosurfer
posted Hide Post
Bill,
I sent a new pic of the bus to you. The solenoid is hot on RH side w 14V. The heavy gauge wire runs to a bus (not in the pic I sent earlier) that is the top of 3 busses on the RH side, and in the pic just sent. This 3rd bus RH side up top is hot at just under 14 v.
All this with key off.
Solenoid bad??
I'll call tomorrow.
Again thanks for all
Mark

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Solenoid bad??
Maybe... step 2.

With key on check this.

The wires circled in blown with the gray lettering should all be hot with the key on. The one in green should NOT BE HOT with the key on. If all of that is correct, then you DO NOT have a bad solenoid.

If the small diameter wire is HOT with the key on, and the bigger diameter wire is NOT HOT & the green wire is NOT HOT, then you do have a Bad Solenoid.

If the green wire is HOT with the key on, then you have a bad ground wire.

BTW: HOT only refers to voltage being present and does NOT refer to an actual temperature. mechanic

If it is a bad relay, then you need a new CONSTANT DUTY RELAY that looks like this.

It is important to note that the regular intermittent duty relays could look like this too.

If you do have a bad relay, you must make sure that the new one is rated for Continuous Duty. The one in the picture, from way up top, shows a part number of ST85 and is an acceptable replacement.

The ST85 is a 4 terminal constant duty relay.

Separate section - just getting more info if the top is good and we need to go farther

quote:
I sent a new pic of the bus to you. The solenoid is hot on RH side w 14V. The heavy gauge wire runs to a bus (not in the pic I sent earlier) that is the top of 3 busses on the RH side, and in the pic just sent. This 3rd bus RH side up top is hot at just under 14 v.
All this with key off.

Is this image correct? That is a jumper bar in there?

If we do need to go farther, is there any chance (kind of tough I know) of getting a better picture that shows the entire electrical box in one or 2 shots?

If you take the pictures from the same length, there's a good chance that I can splice several images together.

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
On an unrelated note... so far.

To all. I want to bring your attention to this style relay.

This type of relay is an open style relay and is prone to corrosion and having things get caught in its contacts. Like bugs... Computer

If you ever need to replace this type of relay, use this diagram to rewire to a better style relay.

NAPA: TEM 207648

NAPA: ECH AR272

History Lesson
Small bit of useless trivia, that open style relay is where we got the quote about debugging a computer.
quote:
First Computer Bug

~ The Bug ~

In 1947, Grace Murray Hopper was working on the Harvard University Mark II Aiken Relay Calculator (a primitive computer).

On the 9th of September, 1947, when the machine was experiencing problems, an investigation showed that there was a moth trapped between the points of Relay #70, in Panel F.

The operators removed the moth and affixed it to the log. The entry reads: "First actual case of bug being found."

The word went out that they had "debugged" the machine and the term "debugging a computer program" was born.

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis