Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    on Differentials
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

on Differentials
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Doug Smiley
posted
Most of my reading online recently has been about the Detroit Diesel engine and the feeling I get from all of this is that one should lower their differential to 3.73 for the best fuel mileage with some scarifice as to top speed and initial movement...

any comments?

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of madrone
posted Hide Post
I would save the money for fuel, the 2 cycle DD's
are an engineering marvel designed for POWER from a bygone era of cheap fuel, again I doubt you would save enough to notice.

Posts: 69 | Location: Texas | Member Since: 11-26-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Although the 8.2L and 6.2/6.5L V8s were briefly called "Detroit Diesels", they are 4-stroke engines, whose designs are unrelated to the 2-stroke -53s, -71s, and -92s.

But mostly, to harvest beneficial comments, you should reveal what coach you have...Big Grin

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Now your avatar shows what you have! Thumbs Up

MCC knew what it was doing, so its choice of differential is most likely optimum.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
First I have no idea which engine you have.

Our Newell has an 8V92TA and has a rear end ratio of 3.33. This gives about 6.5mpg many thousand mile average at about 1700 RPM. This milage is about .5mpg less than the series 60 when equiped with the same tranmission (740 4 speed). Later units had 4000 series 6 speed and pumped milage to about 7.5. Newell built 2 units with 8V92 and 4000 series allison. RPMs dropped and MPG went up. I believe they also went to 3.73RE at that time.

The best HP per pound of fuel is 1600 to 1700 rpm for the 71&92 series. The 53 series is another animal.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
MCC knew what it was doing, so its choice of differential is most likely optimum.
Here are a few specs for these coaches

Rear Axle Ratio 4.63-1
8.2l Detroit Diesel - 4 stroke V8 205 hp.
4 Speed Allison Automatic
9R x 22.5 Tires
Mileage ... 11 mpg approx
0-60 ... 36 seconds
40-60 ... 18 seconds
225" wheelbase
Approx Weight 19,000 lbs

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
MCR suggests 3.73 is better in several ways...

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post