Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Oil change
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Oil change
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/09
Picture of Lance Walton
posted
I have always been told that engine oil should be changed as determined by time as well as mileage. In the past I have followed this rule in my cars but then there is only four or five quarts of oil, not over six gallons. What is the accepted rule on this, I really don't want to ruin a very good Cummins engine because of this but I would like to hear what others think.

Also, if changed due to age and not mileage does the filter need changing at the same time?

Lance & Sue Walton
Previous owner of a
1993 38ft Regency
Cummins 6CTA8.3 300HP
Allison MD3060 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Loveland, CO

Posts: 229 | Location: Loveland, CO | Member Since: 06-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
As most on the forum know, I'm a recovering lube engineer.

Time IS an important factor in determining oil change intervals - moreso for RVs than linehaul tractors. But there's more to it than just the calendar. Note that oil should be discarded when the additive package is depleted (which is why synthetics don't justify the cost in diesels).

The real culprit in oil deterioration is water. Yeah, impurities in the base stock and in fuel contribute, but most can't cause issues without dihydrogen monoxide.

Since the major nasty is sulfur in fuel introduced into the crankcase by tiny blowby, ULSD has lowered its effect markedly. But with water present, sulfur becomes (over time) sulfuric acid. The afore-mentioned additives coat the metal and protect it, and also coat the H2SO4 droplets (and in some oils, chemically neutralize them).

The bottom line is to keep moisture out of the crankcase, but this is impossible. Now motor oil is formulated to hold moisture in suspension, where it is relatively harmless. The remedy is to boil off the water.

So, drive the coach at least 10 miles (20 is better) once a month or 6 weeks, and you need be concerned about changing the oil only once a year.

This applies only to oils I'm familiar with: Shell Rotella T, Mobil Delvac, and Kendall Super DIII.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
They really should ban that nasty dihydrogen monoxide! Major component of acid rain, tumors, causes many deaths by accidental inhalation, solid form causes tissue damage to outdoorsman after skin contact.

Make sure to cook it out of your motor oil regularly if possible.

I had a poster in my chem classroom for years, such nasty stuff! ROTFLMAO

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5197 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
quote:
They really should ban that nasty dihydrogen monoxide! Major component of acid rain, tumors, causes many deaths by accidental inhalation, solid form causes tissue damage to outdoorsman after skin contact.

Yeah! yeesh! and some people even drink that crap.

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
"I never drink water - fish fornicate in it..." - W. C. Fields

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I once got the tongue lashing of my life from an old Scotch drinker when I put "Coleman Young's Detroit city water" in his Scotch. He said the same thing only I think he used a different f word...

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5197 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post