Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Old BF 4.0 Onan Generator parts/info
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Old BF 4.0 Onan Generator parts/info
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 06/08
Picture of Neil T.
posted
I have this old Onan BF 4.0 generator that I cannot find parts for. I think I have it diagnose down to a faulty R1 resistor (original problem) and a faulty CR1 diode(damaged while diagnosing). If I new the spects for them I think could find replacments but I have not been able to come up with anything. Any ideas?

www.swedishautomotive.com
77 28' Rear Bath
The "Budget BARTH"

Posts: 246 | Location: Simpsonville, South Carolina | Member Since: 04-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Any color stripes on the resistor? Generally, diodes are diodes in that vintage, and a pack of 5 @ $1.95 from Radio Shack should do it. However, the labelling of the diode as CR1 is odd - it could be a zener or a voltage regulator. Do you have pix of these components?

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neil T.
posted Hide Post
Here is a picture. The Diode should not be a problem. The resistor does not have any color stripes, just a numer. The "CR1" and "R1" are just the way they are listed in the Onan service manual.

77 28' Rear Bath
The "Budget BARTH"

Posts: 246 | Location: Simpsonville, South Carolina | Member Since: 04-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neil T.
posted Hide Post
Well I just called the local Onan dealer again and talked to someone (a female) that was actually interested in finding the part. She was able to look them up and order them. The part number on my resistor matched the number she had so I may get the correct part. The only problem is it may take from 3 to 30 days to get the part. I will let you know how it works out.
Still looking for a cheap used 6.5 to replace the 4.0.

77 28' Rear Bath
The "Budget BARTH"

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
That's good! Now hopefully, that'll solve the problems.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neil T.
posted Hide Post
The parts came in on the 9th, and they were correct and Identical to the originals. Pretty good for a 30 year old generator.
I installed them and had it up and working in an hour $40.00 later. I now understand how the generator works and if needed I could have gotten it working without the parts. If anyone needs help with the one of the older Onan units let me know.

Neil.

77 28' Rear Bath
The "Budget BARTH"

posted Hide Post
I do not know where the R1 resistor is located on the onan bf b 4000k Genset is. Can anyone help me?

Posts: 5 | Location: Kansas | Member Since: 04-27-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neil T.
posted Hide Post
A lot of info here:

https://www.google.com/search?...XGPCYKHb8HAxIQsAQIIg

Wow, that was 8 years ago. After having no luck with three more used ONAN generators I gave up and bought a used Honda unit. Two years later I have had zero problems with it. I dont think the ONAN units ever worked a complete trip without needing repair of some kind.

77 28' Rear Bath
The "Budget BARTH"

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I was hoping you were still on here. So is that darn resistor by the brushes? there is no resistor in the control box just the diode. And I am not even sure if it is good. I just bought this motor home a couple of months ago. So I have no history.

Posts: 5 | Location: Kansas | Member Since: 04-27-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neil T.
posted Hide Post
Sorry Rob1957 but I cant remember exactly where it was located, its been a while. It shouldnt be hard to find with the size and shape of it.
NT

77 28' Rear Bath
The "Budget BARTH"

posted Hide Post
No problem, if you hear of someone who might be able to help me please pass it on. Thanks again.