Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Kohler 7 KW Starter
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Kohler 7 KW Starter
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of flashnyellow
posted
Has anyone had to change the starter on the Kohler 7CM21-RV generator? I did a quick look and it appears the genset has to be pulled from the compartment to get to the starter. What about a replacement starter? Factory or will an auto starter cross reference?

Thanks,

------------------
Ronnie
1985 28' P-30 454

Posts: 61 | Location: Lafayette, LA USA | Member Since: 12-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
whazzamatta you starter?

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flashnyellow
posted Hide Post
I had carb work done in December and they said starter would not last long. They were right. I changed the solenoid because it quit. The starter worked about 2 weeks longer and now it won't turn over. New starting battery and connections look good. I will trouble shoot later today.

Thanks,

------------------
Ronnie
1985 28' P-30 454

Posts: 61 | Location: Lafayette, LA USA | Member Since: 12-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Better get that baby fixed for Dega! Did you happen to check out the "Genturi" thread last week? I'm putting one together for Dega cause they put us in there pretty close. I have plenty of room but I'm back to back with a big 5th and my genny blows right up her skirt so I thought I'd try this idea to cut down on accidental deaths to my neighbors. Not promisin' mine will look as good as Bill's, but it should work well.

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

[This message has been edited by Danny Zeeff (edited August 08, 2005).]

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flashnyellow
posted Hide Post
Danny,
Where we stay there is an alley behind us for the trash truck. We have 5 spots this year. Lots of room to disperse the exhaust. I ran my generator a lot last year so I need it going.

See Ya there,

------------------
Ronnie
1985 28' P-30 454

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Does the solenoid click?

Before you do all that work, here is a positive way to test the starter:

5 cent answer: Run a direct battery positive and ground connection to the starter.

5 dollar answer: Remove the long lead from the solenoid to the starter. Clean connections and reinstall it to the starter. Is there a ground lead going from the starter mounting bolt to the frame? If not, there should be. Buy one. Install one end to the starter mounting bolt. Take a good battery and connect both leads to it. If the starter turns over, the problem is somewhere else. If not, the starter needs a little work. Maybe just cleanup or brushes.

Yeah, it looks like the genset has to be removed or raised to replace the starter. That mount saddle is really in the way. You might consider unbolting the base plate and pulling the generator front end out and leaving the rear end of the base plate resting in the compartment. Then, unbolt and raise the generator from the base plate enough to remove parts to get to the starter.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flashnyellow
posted Hide Post
Bill H
I hooked up a good battery directly to the starter as you mentioned and the starter turns very slow, not fast enough to start engine. Lots of sparks and turning real heavy. Jumped across solenoid and it did the same thing.

Thanks,

------------------
Ronnie
1985 28' P-30 454

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Hey Ronnie
That's a great paint job on your Barth. I'm thinking about getting my 85 28' Regal done, and if I don't do stock, something like yours looks really neat. Can you tell me where you had it done and how much it cost? Thanks!
Jim

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flashnyellow
posted Hide Post
Jim,
Thanks for the compliment. I had it painted at Eastside Custom and Collision in Rayne, LA. Corwin Mire is the owner. Phone number (337) 334-4034. He does work for Motorhome dealers in the Lafayette area. I paid $3000.
I did it August 2004. I got the design from one of the Barth's on Daves CD and changed up the colors. I wanted the stripes a little wider but I'm satisfied.

------------------
Ronnie
1985 28' P-30 454