Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Lug nut torque
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Lug nut torque
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I have a 1990 Barth Regal and I am replacing the front tires. I am not sure how much torque to put on the lug nuts. The 6 studs are 3/4 inch and the lug nuts are 1 1/2 inches. Does anyone have the proper torque information or can you direct me to a source?

Stuart Cook
Tacoma, WA

Posts: 5 | Location: Tacoma | Member Since: 06-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
What chassis?

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's an Oskosh chassis with a Ford 460 engine.

Posts: 5 | Location: Tacoma | Member Since: 06-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry it's a C800 Oshkosh chassis.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
Stewart,
My chassis booklet for my John Deere RV1200 Chassis says 450-500 lbs.
These are 19.5" wheels, and also keep in mind that the right side is right-hand threads, and the left side is left-hand threads.
This booklet title is for the RV800, RV1000, and RV1200 Chassis.
Hope this helps.
Welcome to the wonderful world of Barth's and Barthmobile.com

------------------
89 Barth Regal 32
Runs like a Deere
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
This is a link to a site with torque specs. As we can see something in the 125 to 150 foot pound range is want should be used for soft (and most lug nuts are soft) 3/4 inch bolts.

http://raskcycle.com/techtip/webdoc14.html

While 500 foot pounds is in range for very hard bolts I fear on lug nuts this high a torque may deliver unexpected results.

Timothy

[This message has been edited by timnlana (edited September 02, 2005).]

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your replys. I called at least six tire places and everyone had a different answer. The highest number was about 120 pounds. I knew that this was too low. It is concerning that these are people who regularly put tires on RVs. They must just let the torque wrench go until it stops and not have a clue what the actual torque is.

Stu

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Yup. Tire "professionals" are downright scary. Buy me a drink and I can recount horror stories on and on. #1 is losing a car, boat and trailer in a ball due to improper torque.

Suffice it to say that I insist on personally monitoring the placement of the jack and the torquing of the nuts. I carry a torque wrench for them to use because so few shops have one. Aluminum wheels require particular vigilance.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post