Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    not a Barth
Page 1 2 3 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

not a Barth
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Ran well when parked Tues. nite, thunder storms yesterday. Started tonite, ran rough, would not respond to accelerator pedal pressure. electronic throttle control lite lights. maintains about 1100 rpm without pushing pedal. what does anyone know and/or have to say re. this?

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Dick,

My first thought centered around water in the fuel, but admittedly it's a long shot. It's hard to believe lightening had anything to do with it as the tires are very good insulators (not like a plugged in RV).

My second thought is the ECM is being finicky. I would try disconnecting the battery for ten minutes and reconnecting.

Third thought, moisture affecting ignition wires.

How many miles on that baby? Were'nt you driving a Ranger last we saw you?

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
My friend had almost the same truck. Lightning struck near it when a storm came over a campground where we were. The next day, all sorts of things didn't work right.
As discussed in the thread below, there is a huge electromagnetic energy burst in the proximity of a lightning strike. Weapons have been developed to use such a burst for disabling electronic devices.
My guess is your ($$$) ECU is damaged.
http://barthmobile.com/eve/for...1087061/m/5993978167

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
The lightening could have been the problem. I am a property/casualty agent. Within the last year, I had a client whose house had a large lightening strike on the roof. The lightening hit the ridge, and insured saw sparks come out of her breaker box in the garage. Her 2004 Mercedes was parked 10 feet away. No visual damage, but we spent close to $5000 replacing the various computers on board.

Five years ago. I had a client with a late model Chevy pickup parked next to a pipe fence. After a night-time storm with lightening, truck would not start or run. We spent close to $4000 replacing computers and sensors in the truck. The truck still has a check engine light that won't go off and they have never figured out why.

Seven years ago, I had an insured driving down a road when lightening hit in a field about 50 yards away from road. Car immediately died. Would not restart. Towed to a dealership and had to replace the main engine computer.

Take to a dealership, find out if a computer/electronics problem. If so, it a comprehensive claimed covered under your auto policy.

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
How many miles on that baby? Were'nt you driving a Ranger last we saw you?

Thank you all for your responses.
about 56K miles metalic tan 4 door Ram w Barth emblem on the tailgate nooo Ranger!
I suspected the possibility of some sort of magnetic interference, moisture in the electronic systems but not so much as h2o in the fuel. Too dark last night to check. Will look closer in a few minutes. neighbor has a code reading device I will attempt to utilize. Thanx.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
I had a 1999 Ram Van and spent a fortune on blown out sensors. I never thought of the lightening causing this.

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anything pre-computer is looking better,...like a model T Big Grin Luckily i only have one rig that has a computer in it. Smiler

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 06-17-2011 10:27 AM Hide Post
Anything pre-computer is looking better,...like a model T

or a Triumph MG

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Dubbs:
quote:
Posted 06-17-2011 10:27 AM Hide Post
Anything pre-computer is looking better,...like a model T

or a Triumph MG

OTOH, they would have had Lucas ("Prince of Darkness") electrics - wouldn't need lightning to fail. java

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
they would have had Lucas

...had a '58 TR3-A drove every day for three years + field trials (bashes) and hill climbs never had any electrical problems not even a light bulb.

posted Hide Post
Big Grin One of my other rigs is a 1962 Triumph TR-4 that has a 289 and C4 automatic that came out of a 67 Mustang.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
C4 automatic that came out of a 67 Mustang.

sportscar blasphemy!

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
quote:
1962 Triumph TR-4 that has a 289

Sounds like a BLAST !!!!

Click for Saint Clair Shores, Michigan Forecast

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:

That must be a lot like a Sunbeam Tiger

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mogan David:
quote:

That must be a lot like a Sunbeam Tiger
Without the toaster fins Smiler

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post