Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Propane hoses
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Propane hoses
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted
My coach is out of town and has a leaking hose. It is the one that is connected to the tank and a small cap screw that is opened when filling the tank to identify when the 80% fill level has been reached. I need to have a new hose made and I need to know what size fittings to order. I know that both ends are female and flare fittings. I do not know if they are 1/8, 1/4, 3/8 or whether they are pipe thread or some other type. Any help is appreciated. This is a 1993 Regency with a 60 gallon asme tank.
Thanks

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a follow up we replaced all the hoses and checked the tank. On my 32' Regency the tank is 45 gallons and Barth fitted it with an automatic shut off to prevent overfilling. And it still works after 12 years.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
We've had several people report that the main supply hoses have started to leak. This is all age related. I remember that I posted a response to Medic37...
quote:
Originally posted by Medic37:
Our coaches are the same age, so maybe EVERYONE should take a look at this chunk of braided hose, as it was really obvious where the leak was coming-from.
quote:
Originally posted by Bill N.Y.:
I seem to remember more than one member recently having this same problem with the propane fill hose.

I think this should be on "Everyone's To Do List" now that a pattern has emerged.

Also, check the "Flex Hose" at the generator.
You did respond to it so I'm guessing you had a different issue?

http://barthmobile.com/eve/for...31087061/m/824105032

However, I'm a little fuzzy on the math. hmm
quote:
...it still works after 12 years.
You wouldn't fall under this Tom, but to anyone who does have a propane generator, you should also consider that hose too. Anything after 10yrs could be seeping fuel out of the hose. Have it checked and replace all your flex hoses if in doubt.

Here is another interesting read if you are told to re-certify your propane tanks.

http://barthmobile.com/eve/for...3980367?r=7543980367

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
Quick Question....

I took off the flexible supply hose from my propane tank to the steel piping in the coach to replace it, since it is 27 years old. It was about 2 1/2 feet long. I took it to my plumber and he said it used the same ends as hydraulic hose. He sent me down to O'Reilly's and they made me up a hydraulic hose with the IDENTICAL ends. I put it on and it fit.

Does this sound correct? I compared the new flexible gas pipe (with the thin plastic outside coating) they are using now (also have heard horror stories of it leaking with lightening strikes) and the hydraulic hose looks a lot stouter and less likely to leak...also the hydraulic hose will handle much higher pressures.

What's everyone's opinion?

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
beyond the pressure regulator, operating press for LP is only something like 1/2 PSI. Power steering and other hydraulic lines must withstand many times greater pressure. Away from UV, friction and strain, your new line should last a lifetime (from my 64 year old's perspective).

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Pressure will definitely not be a problem. Just be sure the inside diameter is big enough to supply your gas appliances.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5184 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Propane requires propane hose, not hydraulic hose. Goodyear and otjers make this specific hose and it no longer has exterior braiding. Such hose has propane stamped into it about every foot or so.

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
There are good reasons for using special propane hoses.

Propane hose needs to be made from a compound that is compatible. That means no deterioration and no leaching out of nasties that can clog your stuff.

Propane hose also has perforations in the outer jacket to prevent a bubble from forming if the inner liner becomes permeable.

That said, there are a lot of jakeleg setups out there that work fine. So far, anyway.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
LPG hoses should be made of a material not permeable to propane. In addition, LPG may contain traces of pentane and benzene, both very good solvents which can attack some materials. Hydraulic fluid is free from those, so the hoses can be engineered for that application without concern for solvent action.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
hopefully, O'Reilley used the right stuff for him

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
So what about motor oil Rusty? Morehose used hydraulic hose to fab up my new lines to the oil cooler, saying they'd last forever. Now I'm not so sure.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
You should have no issues with motor oil. Plan on replacing them in around 30-40 years, however. Big Grin

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
quote:
You should have no issues with motor oil. Plan on replacing them in around 30-40 years, however.

So one more set should do me. Thanks.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
quote:
So one more set should do me. Thanks.

No sense to rush right out to get them.... You may as well wait till they are on sale...

Click for Saint Clair Shores, Michigan Forecast

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post