Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Smog pump removal
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Smog pump removal
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
One of the previous owners of 'Old Blue' had Thorley headers installed but kept the smog pump system in tact. Since we have the pump off while working on replacing the water pump, I'm thinking about removing the entire smog pump system. It seems straight forward. Soak all the pipe fittings on the exhaust manifolds with P B Blaster, remove them, remove the pump, hose to the air cleaner, put plugs in the exhaust manifold holes. Done? Anybody do this before? What should we look out for? Any changes in carb or timing?
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
If you ever think you might ever sell, being non-smog compliant could limit your pool of prospective buyers.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Or register your coach as a collector or vintage vehicle (over 25 years old) in your state and you are exempt from all inspection requirements other than basic safety issues - lights, brakes, tires, turn signals and wipers.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I removed 2(!) smog pumps 2 years ago, no regrets. Neither was working anyway. So much more room to work! Thumbs Up

Michigan doesn't smog test any more, but I guess some states do insist the stuff. The PO was from New Hampshire and left the stuff there as that state requires. I can't understand the rationale. The stuff doesn't work, can't be repaired, you can't buy replacement parts.

I also removed the old Freon-12 air conditioning compressor. Went from 5 belts to 3.

The fittings on my Thorley headers didn't want to come off, I cut them off and plugged the tubes.

Good luck! Sorry you couldn't make it here to Raccoon MTN.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5179 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Smog pump removed, now removing the fittings on the headers. We've been able to break for of the pipe bolts & unscrewed. Still hoping to get the other 4 out. I am going to plug the pipes. They take a 1/4" plug. So far i've only been able to find brass plugs for brake lines. My question's are...

1)Is it ok to use the brass plugs on the steel?

2)What kind of sealer should I use to prevent leaking?

If I can't get the other 4 bolts off. Been pb blasting several times a day for one week, the next week maybe 4 times total Now working on getting them off before thursday when we finish replacing the water pump, removing the air/smog pump & all the paraphernalia that goes with it, replaced the fan clutch, new thermostat, new lower radiator hose. Using the Gates Power Grip Heat shrink hose "clamps" instead of metal hose clamps. They were on it already. Very neat product, but expensive.
What vacuum hoses are no longer necessary? There are many.

I want to ad more pics but I have to get another tutorial on what to do????

I know I talked to Steve VW about vacuum hoses but I don't have a good memory.

Beware I don't know what some of this stuff is on this drawing. More pics to follow with questions.

Thanks,
Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
1. It's OK to use brass on steel.

2. I use a Permatex aviation-grade sealant on about everything, available at NAPA - comes in a squat little can like PVC cement and has a brush.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rusty.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Ditto on the aviation Permatex.

This is how the sticker looked on 86Barth (87 emissions) things got worse! confusion

In your case the vacuum feed to the distributor has a CHECK VALVE and a SPARK TVS "temperature-operated vacuum switch" (valve) It appears to connect to a non ported vacuum source at the rear of the carb. Remove hoses and cap the carb port.

Notice on my drawing the dist feed comes from the front left, a ported source. I would route a hose directly from the front driver side to the distributor to get the ported source. (You can connect to the tee that used to go to the AIR pump) Disconnect the SPARK TVS, the CHECK VALVE, and the associated hoses.

EFE is early fuel evaporation, an exhaust heat-riser preheating system for cold weather starts. Probably doesn't work any way. You can remove the EFE-TVS vacuum lines. Run the black hose from the air filter directly to the carb source. This keeps the air horn flap and the SEC VAC BRK ACT working.

Leave PVC connected. Remove the AIR pump hose from the tee in the line from carb to TRC SOLENOID CONT VALVE, (connect the dist hose here) remove AIR pump and vacuum hose.

When finished you should have a hose from carb tee to distributor, a loop to the TRC solenoid, PCV valve and hose, and a hose to the air filter and sec vac brk actuator. You can tear out the other stuff. mechanic

So much easier to work on now! Thumbs Up

I'm sure you kept all of this stuff in a bushel basket so when you sell the coach you can swear all the smog stuff is INTACT, (albeit not connected!) Wink

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5179 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Permatex aviation grade is indeed great stuff, but is only rated to 400 deg F.

Muffler cement takes temps several times that.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Hi-Temp sealer would work (muffler cement can't take extremely high temps). Actually, if it were I, I'd use no sealer and torque the plugs down with the headers hot.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
If I decide not to use any sealer what is the torque on these or where would I find the info.

[QUOTE]I'm sure you kept all of this stuff in a bushel basket so when you sell the coach you can swear all the smog stuff is INTACT, (albeit not connected!)[QUOTE]

Thanks for all the info guys.
Tere

Steve, I think I told you I would send you this pic of the "repair" we did on our frame. Oops this is the before. the black is the chassis saver. will send another pic shortly.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Steve,
Here is repair.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
That is exactly what I need to do behind the skirts and under my storage bins. The wheel wells need some work too. When it warms up some more...

Snow banks still 1 ft and frozen solid. Yard is finally open. Lake still has 6 inches of ice. head bang

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Cheer up - it'll all be gone by August! ROTFLMAO

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve VW:
That is exactly what I need to do behind the skirts and under my storage bins. The wheel wells need some work too. When it warms up some more...

Snow banks still 1 ft and frozen solid. Yard is finally open. Lake still has 6 inches of ice. head bang

Steve, here is another way to fix the frame. This is way of topic an I may start another thread.

Then put the skin back on.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post