Reply To This Topic

Radiator air flow imrovement
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/11
Picture of Scott and Debbie
posted Hide Post
quote:
30-BS-6B side entry

Guys, not to hajack this thread, or maybe we should start a new one. But I have the same air cleaner on my 92 30 ft breakaway. I have the paper on it.. It is a nelson "Maxcone" Heavy duty on highway air cleaner model 77003N, it takes a filter 70469n. It's dementions are 7.2in by 15.9in, and the intake is 4.0 inches and exhaust is 4.0 inches.
it flows 520cfm @ 8in of water.

Now the opening at the inlet of the pvc box Pictured above is the same as mine at the end is Down to 3 1/2 inches " I have not clearanced the lip of the seam in the plastic Maybe another 1/4 inh gain.
My thought is that My inlet is to small also.
The Donaldson site has my flow requirements @ 590cfm @ 2400 rpm. Now with the turbo would this filter make enough air to perform well and keep my
egt down. I was looking at replacing my air filter housing with one that will allow more flow so the turbo would not work as hard and drop egt temps. presntly I have not modified anything and do not have a pyrometer yet. My only hold back is water ingestion by the filter that area behind the rear wheels.
I have the same exact set up as Apoccia.
My though is a Donaldson PSD filter But water ingestion questions com up. I also have questions on how much engine cooling air would be blocked by the new housing.
What is the thought??

Posts: 46 | Location: virginia Beach va | Member Since: 09-25-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
There is a difference between the 190 HP filter and the 230 HP filter: My filter canister is 18 1/4" long X 8 1/2" ID. The filter is 7" on the small end and 8 1/4" on the large end, and is 18" long

The canister input hole and output holes are 5" in diameter. The plastic inlet box is 6" X 6" and the outlet hole is 5".

Originally, the filter canister was hung off the side of the opening and not done well, the input box was below the canister. I mounted the canister to the top of the opening and rotated the input box around so it was up as high as possible, yes the chances of water ingestion is there but by getting it higher, the wheel spray isn't as much. I can see on the side of the filter where the inlet dumps and may be slightly damp after driving thru a heavy rain squall but there was no water in the filter canister.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I talked to rusty at the dc gtg and he was going to show me his filter housing, because mine is so small. we ran out of time during the visit. I have been on the donaldson site.
They have a pcd filter which is square and has some sort of baffles and a evacuator valve for moisture and dust.
it's design would allow me to replace 2 90deg bends with 2 45's and put the filter inlet right at the fins on the compartment door. If I put up at the top of the door.
The other filter I was looking at was the filter by injien on the amsoil site also a straight in design. It doesn't have any provisions for an evacuator.

Posts: 46 | Location: virginia Beach va | Member Since: 09-25-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Mine is stock GM, totally unlike those on Cummins. I use Wix elements, and get around 6K miles. The element is a PITA to change.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whatever is considered, I would strongly recommend using an air system design for long haul trucks or buses. Most of what I see all the hype about is for the Dodge diesels and may not be suitable for the long term operation that our RVs require. One might take a journey to a truck wrecking yard and see what could be adapted, probably a lot cheaper and more effective then what could be purchased from aftermarket suppliers.

I would further recommend that no skimping on filtration be done!!! A lot of testing has proven that washable filters do not do a good job of filtering and reduce air flow very quickly after installation. Lots of hype but no results.

You should see what I vacuum out of my filters after a 3-5K mile trip. I never use air to blow out the filters because one can damage the filter easily if the air has a point flow, this has also been written up in tests. Even at $65 a pop, I change filters every 15K miles. I get in some very dusty places with race officiating.

HTH

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of apoccia
posted Hide Post
I notice my egt runs higher and climbs MUCH faster if my filter gets slightly dirty. I replace my filter any time I am going to a race where I have to climb hills because the egt limits how much pedal I can use. I am 100% positive if I open up this intake with the larger filter housing (that you guys proved to me easily handles the volume of air I need) and do the modification that MWrench did my egt will be lower (allowing me to keep my foot on the floor)and probably increase the hp a bit too.

Posts: 36 | Location: North Jersey | Member Since: 07-28-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Has anyone asked a Cummins service center about a possible solution?

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apoccia:
I notice my egt runs higher and climbs MUCH faster if my filter gets slightly dirty.

It would be interesting to have manometer or Filter Minder readings on that. A filter minder in the cockpit could be watched with the EGT.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom K:
Has anyone asked a Cummins service center about a possible solution?

Cummins service service centers are generally useless for any modifications for equipment that did not come with a certain engine as noted by the engine serial number. It is great that you just give them a serial number and you will get the exact part for your engine or any superseded part if that were the case.

I had to go back to an old friend (Cummins employee) that covered me for my heavy vehicles years ago to get part numbers for the brackets, belt, tensioner for the alternator change that I made to a 200 amp unit. It took a bit of research on his part but I was able to get all needed, something I couldn't do at any of the Western Cummins locations.

This may not be the general case but it is in my area.

I have a filter minder meter for the cockpit that I have been wanting to install but I have run out of panel space for now. It hasn't been an urgent thing to do because as mentioned I do not see my rear minder go up until I have a lot of miles on the filter or have been in some really dusty areas. Yes I do notice a slight loss of performance when the minder starts to show some blockage.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Picture of apoccia
posted Hide Post
I went down my street to the light 1/2 mile away. Its up hill to my driveway. I put my foot on the floor to see how high the egt gets and how fast I could get up to. With the filter I put in just before I left Florida I couldn't keep my foot down because the egt would easily go above 1200 degrees. I then put a new filter in and did the same thing and the egt got up to 1200 but wouldn't go above and the truck kept gaining speed. The vacuum level on the filter minder was barely higher with the old filter than it was with the new filter, but the boost only got to 20psi whith the old filter in and 22-23psi with the new filter. I did this test back in march when I was trying to figure out why the egt was climbing faster than it had previously. Side note, Amoco diesel with "invigorate" runs cooler and the truck runs so much better I thought maybe my air filter fell off...I actually pulled over to check.

Posts: 36 | Location: North Jersey | Member Since: 07-28-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In a half a mile you can peg the EGT??!! That is very quick, HMMMM. What gear and RPM were you at during the hill climb?

Do you have any smoke? Smoke when starting off from a light?

What RPM does the boost hit 23 PSI?

I certainly sounds like you have other restrictions then just the filter. Maybe with the larger Banks system turbo and fuel settings, your filter, piping, can't handle the added increase in air demand.

Hope you don't mind all the questions but something is not right! Just trying to help.

"Amoco diesel with "invigorate" runs cooler and the truck runs so much better I thought maybe my air filter fell off...I actually pulled over to check."

According to all the stuff on the "net", "invigorate" is only a gasoline additive. About the only additive I have seen for diesel fuel is cetane. ???

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Picture of apoccia
posted Hide Post
The EGT only climbs when i'm in 4th gear under a heavy load (i'm usually pulling a 3000+lb trailer)at a low speed for 4th gear. If I'm traveling 55mph or more I can't get the egt up too high. No smoke to speak of when starting unless the motor isn't up to full temp. I can't tell what rpm because I need a new sending unit that apparently is mounted to the trans somewhere. The turbo is a replacement OEM model...not larger, just new. The Banks kit is basically a larger and differently calibrated waste gate and a fuel plate. The high EGT is definately from intake restrictions and i'm pretty sure its the filter/filter housing being too small because as I said if the filter gets even slightly dirty the egt climbs much more quickly. New filter and she runs cool. Maybe the filter decreases power translating into lower speeds in each gear which drives the egt up. My water temp usually runs 180 and only gets to 200 on really long uphills on hot days with my foot on the floor. The fuel I get from this one BP station selling Amoco diesel makes my rig run so much better. I can travel at 70+ mph when normally maintaining 65 is a chore on the same route to the same motocross track. I'm telling you I actually pulled over to see if my a cleaner fell off! It was that much of a difference.

posted Hide Post
apoccia, went through the tach this year. I'll try to get the info together and write a thread on it. in short the sensor can be checked with a multimeter that reads freqs its a mag pickup. I changed the sensor on the rv rh side of the trans bell housing just above the fly wheel. it didn't fix the problem. I had to change the electronic tach. set the new tach to a 159 tooth flywheel. I also have a 92 breakaway center entry w/5.9 cummins with a 542 with a 3.73 rear. new tach works great. I should have the numbers for the tach and sensor.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Hi,

Where do you get the blanket and how is it wrapped around the exhaust?

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
What is the normal range for egt for a cumins 5.9 with a 6 speed? I bought a hand held temp guage and I'm in the mid three hundreds down to about 260-270 after I idle for 5 minutes.

quote:
Originally posted by apoccia:
The EGT only climbs when i'm in 4th gear under a heavy load (i'm usually pulling a 3000+lb trailer)at a low speed for 4th gear. If I'm traveling 55mph or more I can't get the egt up too high. No smoke to speak of when starting unless the motor isn't up to full temp. I can't tell what rpm because I need a new sending unit that apparently is mounted to the trans somewhere. The turbo is a replacement OEM model...not larger, just new. The Banks kit is basically a larger and differently calibrated waste gate and a fuel plate. The high EGT is definately from intake restrictions and i'm pretty sure its the filter/filter housing being too small because as I said if the filter gets even slightly dirty the egt climbs much more quickly. New filter and she runs cool. Maybe the filter decreases power translating into lower speeds in each gear which drives the egt up. My water temp usually runs 180 and only gets to 200 on really long uphills on hot days with my foot on the floor. The fuel I get from this one BP station selling Amoco diesel makes my rig run so much better. I can travel at 70+ mph when normally maintaining 65 is a chore on the same route to the same motocross track. I'm telling you I actually pulled over to see if my a cleaner fell off! It was that much of a difference.

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post