Forums    Barth Upgrades and Improvements    Fuel injection for the 78.
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Fuel injection for the 78.
 Login now/Join our community

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted
I have decided to go ahead with installing FI and getting rid of that troublemaking Quad. I have an excellent wrench that will be doing the work but I have a few stupid questions that you guys might be able to help me out with. I assume I will be using throttle body as a direct replacement using my present Edelbrock manifold. I have Thorley headers on it that have the 1/4NPT plugs. Do those holes come into play for sensors or something? The kits that I've been looking at have the new fuel pump and regulator included. Will an inline pump be OK or will I have to drop the tank for an internal? I only use one tank. Any recommendations for an old 454 conversion kit are welcome, since I haven't picked one out yet.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
good luck Danny. You will be happy with the result. As you know, I installed TBI on my Regal. It was a kit from Affordable Fuel Injection. It was ten years ago, so I am not sure what other choices are currently available. Some of the newer systems allow you to program them yourself, mine had to have a chip from the supplier. Holley sells kits that are pretty flexible.

You should be able to use an inline pump but you will need a return line for fuel back to the tank. The early throttle body units ran about 11-13 psi to the TBI with a regulator and return line. You will also need an exhaust bung for an oxygen sensor. I had one welded in about a foot behind the Thorley headers.

The engine ran better at all temperatures and loads. Better mileage too. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5189 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Been considering that change for ole 71 and do believe that is the way to go!
The Holley Stealth system is really my choice. One can buy the whole system including the 0/2 sensor, inline fuel pump and rubber lines. Personally, I would change those to steel lines. If your unit is like 71 there is no return fuel line and you will need to install one for this system. Holley has a special unit that will directly replace your old Rochester other wise you need an adaptor.

Fitech is another system and it has a high pressure storage tank that I think is a good accessory that can be added to either system.

Both systems retail for around $1500 complete one can buy just partial systems also.

Just my thoughts! Good luck Danny!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2062 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Well, the guy who was going to do the swap disappeared and my buddy who is a retired wrench isn't confident in doing it but he did agree to have a look-see at what I've got going on. He thinks the carb is wrong so we did some number checking and found the quad is from a 75 Camaro SS 350. I called Guaranteed Carbs in St. Pete and they have the right one on the shelf totally rebuilt and bench tested for 212 bucks exchange. As soon as it gets here my buddy is going to do the carb swap and check timing and vacuum to get her running like it should. Might be able to make Minnesnota yet!

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Sweet. A good price for another carb. Should run more normal then.

I would still highly recommend the fuelie system. Made a big difference on my 86. Ran better at all temperatures and any driving condition. Better mileage too.

Installation of mine was not too bad. You swap the distributor to the HEI style. Fuel injector body bolts in where the carb was. Some adjustments to the throttle cable.
You need an 11 psi fuel system with return line. This will also eliminate vapor lock issues forever.

Mount ECM module and install wiring harness. Programming the computer requires installing chips, or in the later versions, a PC interface. It took 3 chips to get mine just right.

For me, the only non DIY was the O2 sensor. It is supposed to be in the exhaust close to the header end. You need a threaded bung to screw it in. I had to run the 86 to a shop to get them to weld on the bung.

Very nice when set up and running.

Hoping to see you at the MN GTG. I will be replacing the other two front leveling valves on the Monarch before I go there. That dog won't bite me again. head bang

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5189 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Danny; I agree with Steve, the Fi-Tech or Holley Stealth throttle body Fuel Injection units are much easier to install than the old GM systems that Steve put in his 86, they also have self-learning in their programs so tuning is simplified too.

If I were a rich man one would be on ole 71! All in is less than $2K.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2062 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I'm not ruling out FI, just trying to get her up and running good so she doesn't just sit in the driveway. A couple hundred bucks for a new carb and getting it up and running is far better right now than a couple thousand for FI with no one to do it and enough knowledge to know that I can't do it myself. I don't plan on ever getting rid of this coach so who knows what the future will bring.

79 Barth Classic

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Z:
I'm not ruling out FI, just trying to get her up and running good so she doesn't just sit in the driveway. A couple hundred bucks for a new carb and getting it up and running is far better right now than a couple thousand for FI with no one to do it and enough knowledge to know that I can't do it myself. I don't plan on ever getting rid of this coach so who knows what the future will bring.

Terrific point, exactly how I feel about ole 71!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine