Reply To This Topic

The Saga of 71
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ccctimtation:
That carb was running on the new engine for probably 110 hours before I swapped it for the rebuilt that matched the port engine. It was on a 350 and should work well. Why not put a pinch clamp on the hose from the tank and drain some gas into can to see how it looks and smells? Could be okay or almost empty, 5 or 10 gallon dilution could be a solution. This would also give an inspection of the hose.
Glad it worked.

Been running the engine on a can of gas and an electric fuel pump, not the fuel in the coach. Still have the coach tank connected to the engine mechanical pump and collecting what it pumps when the engine is running in a 5-gallon gas can. There does not seem to be any fuel leaks, just real cruddy gas it is orange and does not smell like gasoline must be very old stuff.

My fear about the rubber tubes is this guy has probably been running on pure gasoline all its life, about all we have here in Iowa is 10% ethanol, that old rubber will probably not hold up using that mixture.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2059 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Got the rear of 71 jacked up enough to get under it and see what is going on! Did not care for what I found. The air ride system, although it looks sturdy enough, the system is shot. It was made by a company in Minnesnowta called Air-Ax, they went out of business looks like late 90's.

The installation is very complex, my hope is that up to date air bags can be adapted to the welded in structure. the air bags on the unit look to be cracked and if they hold air it won't be for long. Might try to inflate them just to check????

The structure blocks the brake bleeding valves at least with the tires on, hope to be able to get at them when they are removed.

There is an onboard air tank and pump pretty sure it has not worked in ages!

There are no springs in the back they have been removed to accommodate the air ride system, that really needs to made to function.

The propane tank has a patch and it looks like it blew another hole right through the welded patch, so that is shot!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Jpeg

Posts: 2059 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Looks like the air bags of today, run a minimum of about 3 inches to a max of about 11 inches, have not measured but looks like the structure can be shimmed to accommodate!

The picture is with the bag fully extended. Have not taken a measurement yet!

This bag can be extended indefinitely it slips off that horn, not sure what would happen if it had air in it and the coach was jack-up like this.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Wow Duane many folks would love to have air suspension. Those bags look nearly identical to mine on the Monarch. Firestone 1T15M-0 is that bag. Check it out. No idea if it will work but there should be replacements. Is it a single bolt on top.

The 10 day forecast here is nothing over 50 degrees. The Maple syrup guys are going to love it. Record snow needs to melt slowly and soak in. We were in drought but we will make sure to send you your share via the mighty Mississippi. Remember Duane I have no control over that process.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
72081169MC22C
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Remember Duane I have no control over that process.

Dana; it is a well known fact here in Iowa that you personally are the main contributor to our spring floods!!!

I believe you are right about the air spring being a firestone product the data tag says it was built in 90. The problem there is like 100 different ones, how do I make sure I am getting the right unit???

Will take a better look tomorrow see it can identified.

Looks like the number you gave me is the exact fit,,Thank you Sir!!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
This 71 really has had a very unique life, run as a 6 cylinder for many years, an air ride installed in 1990, yet the drum brakes in the front have not been changed, or the interior upgraded, assume the valve seats have been upgraded for unleaded fuel because of being used in the 90's.

Was just thinking ole Nose has been trashed and is in the recycle yard. Wonder if the front disc brakes and necessary fitment parts could replace the drum systems on 71, anyone know??? Would be a great upgrade! Nose has an 81 chassis. Might get the LP tank, electric fuel pump, filter and regulator too. Nose also has a cool set of head lights.

Some more interesting stuff about 71, new roof top A/C was installed in 1995, Coleman RVP with heat! New fridge installed in 1980. The brand is Instamatic, never heard of it!!

A picture of the hole blown in the LP tank and patch!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of five-oh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane88:

Was just thinking ole Nose has been trashed and is in the recycle yard....

Terrible news. What happened? I thought the buyer was going to live in it? It's a shame to lose any Barth, but especially one you put so much work into and cared for...

Posts: 58 | Location: Hattieville, Arkansas | Member Since: 11-01-2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Duane check that plate on the LP tank. I think you will find it is a label plate not a patch. It was a thin metal they tacked to the outside. Looks like crap got behind it and rotted it. If you take it off the tank is probably fine behind it if it didn’t hold the salt against the tank and corrode it also.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
72081169MC22C
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Dana; Very observant, believe again you are correct, will scrape it off and hope!!

So perhaps we in Iowa will not hold you 100% accountable for our spring floods!

Five-OH: The guy who bought Nose really turned out to be a dope addict, pedophile and just a mess, he trashed Nose, knocked the Gilmer belt off and drove it till it blew a head gasket, the city towed it away, looked at it myself and Nose is beyond repair he even crashed in the back end. He never parked it anywhere just left it all over town, he did live in it!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Great shades of Minnesnowta, we had like a foot of wet awful snow last night!! Gonna stay in the 30's for the next few days , no work on 71!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Due to the snow and cold have not worked on 71, but dug around and found some old maintenance hand written records, three different hand writers looks like. Dates start at September 79 and quit in Aug 2000. Last entry was at 64,700 miles and now the coach has 65,100 miles. So probably been sitting for 23 years.

Most interesting is the heads were rebuilt in 94 @ 48800 miles due to low compression, new hard valve seat were added and that fixed the compression. The funny thing is there is no mention of the removal of the rocker arms on cylinders 5 and 6. Those valve covers were full of grease and grime, pretty sure that is when they were removed must have taken 20K miles to get them that dirty. No records of the last 1000 miles.

Brakes were redone in 95, front only new shoes, drums turned and shoes on back, all wheel cylinders replaced 53000 miles.

No mention of when the distributor was changed to an HEI. new points and regulator was changed at 53000 miles.

Lots of problems with radiator fan and believe it has failed again, need to confirm. Radiator was recored in 97.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Warmed a little today and yesterday. Got a bit of progress on 71.

The brakes are driving me to drink not that I need any help!

For the first time Rock Auto sent me the wrong part, the master cylinder is not correct for a 70 P30. Been trying to bleed the brakes and could not get any pedal at all. Went to my local O'Reilly auto parts they ordered in 3 that they thought would do the job one is a perfect match costs more but worth it. Already have a partial pedal after I find a partner to help bleed, pretty sure 71 will have brakes!!

The air ride system and air pump function, have the back up on jack stands so was not able to fill the air tank. But did check all the valves and ran the air pump for a short time.

The reason it did not work is because it does not have any power to the control. Either the system runs off the house battery not the power supply or chassis battery, or there is an on/off switch that I have yet to find. Jumped power to the control for this initial check. This is an after-market product so they could have put a switch in a weird place. Without a switch the air pump would keep the tank at full pressure all the time, is that normal???

Should mention that a house battery is not installed.

So some good progress!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Another day warm enough to get in a bit of work on 71. That was until the rain came about 3PM.

Got the rear brakes bled, even a little hard pedal this time, when the rain quits and if we stay warm enough will rebleed the front and hopefully be good to go!! Well maybe not go but stop!!

Lowered the rear end and tried the air ride system. Compressor pumped until the pressure switch shut it off, a good thing!! Put the control in the park position and added air one bag at a time, seems the bags hold air.

At 100 psi those bags about 10 inches is diameter should develop around 8k lift times 2 more than enough to lift 71.

The bags do not seem to have enough power to raise the coach. Thought they would actually be able to level the coach not just act like a spring. Perhaps the pressure switch shuts off at too low a pressure.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
My Grandson could not make it today, so could not properly bleed the brake system. He had Lacrosse practice. They play their archrival tomorrow and the coach decided they needed incentive. Oh; the days of college!

Did get a bit done though, for the first time in maybe 20 years ole 71 moved up and down the driveway under its own power!! Did need 4 quarts of transmission fluid. Don't see any leaks yet, but only ran 10 minutes or so.

The driver side air bag may have a leak, it is not filling between its lift points any more where the other still is.

Do have a lifter making a tap, hope it is just a loose adjustment and not another stud slipping from its pressed in seat.

Saw a device under 71 that I never have seen before gonna get a picture of it to post soon have no idea what it does. That vacuum line I plugged might go to it.

Got 71 a bit more level and it pumped out another 5 gallons of that stuff in the fuel tank, probably more in there.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Took a closer look at the 2 tanks under 71 they are about half way down the chassis. Believe them to be a brake boost system. one for the front and one for the back. Seems the brake lines from the master cylinder might run to them not directly to the wheels. Pic shows both devices. will send a close up of one.

anyone ever seen this type of device and where one can get them these don't work very rusted at least one is. can not find them on the internet.

P30 chassis
350 engine